firewall recomendations

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

firewall recomendations

Post by w00dsy »

so dudes and dudettes, which is the best firewall? I don't mind zonealarm, but i find it is really annoying. I mainly just run my router and the sp2 firewall, but i got a nasty xmas day so i'd like to batten down the hatches a bit better i think.
Gizmo
forum fairy - in a gay way!
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Post by Gizmo »

I like Kaspersky Not to many people have heard of it. Their anti virus software is second to none. It came first in a test APC did. Their firewall came third i think it was.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

I personally got over personal firewall years ago.

I decided to commisson that old k6/2 500 sitting in the corner to become my firewall machine, running a dedicated firewall is fantastic.
Not only do you not have to worry about running some stupid firewall program that always a million questions you dont care about. "Would you like this program to access the net" "Firewall picked up a attack on port 3132"
Its great for managing the 4 pc's on my network, and with all the features of any expencive modem/router its worth the hour or so that goes into setup.

I use http://www.ipcop.org by the way :)
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Rod, Kerio personal firewall isfree and fine for me. Scores well on stealthiness too I understand (braces self for firewall fanboi attack).
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

nutty wrote:I personally got over personal firewall years ago.

I decided to commisson that old k6/2 500 sitting in the corner to become my firewall machine, running a dedicated firewall is fantastic.
Not only do you not have to worry about running some stupid firewall program that always a million questions you dont care about. "Would you like this program to access the net" "Firewall picked up a attack on port 3132"
Its great for managing the 4 pc's on my network, and with all the features of any expencive modem/router its worth the hour or so that goes into setup.

I use http://www.ipcop.org by the way :)
i did the linux box firewall thing a year or two back, it had some terrific advantages. If i had the room and the bits i'd probably do it again. Norbs got me set up with Clarkconnect. The only downside was my wife wasn't too keen on having a pc running 24/7.

Smithy, i have Kerio installed now and it seems quite good. I did a little bit of research and it rates well.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Gizmo wrote:I like Kaspersky Not to many people have heard of it. Their anti virus software is second to none. It came first in a test APC did. Their firewall came third i think it was.

Thats what alot of us use from XGN... not as popular, so less ppl target it, and it works a treat, well as far as i know :p
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
macca
Founder
Founder

Post by macca »

smithcorp wrote:(braces self for firewall fanboi attack).
:rolf:
I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zedmacca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

in my opinion if your router has firewalling/NAT capabilities, your just adding bloat by running a software firewall as well.

But then, I've never run anti virus software either (and never had a virus), so I guess I'm just not paranoid enough. :)
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

DarrenM wrote:
But then, I've never run anti virus software either (and never had a virus)
then how do you know?
Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

I've heard that before :)

...sure enough they're infected with something. Not neccesarily a harmful virus, but a virus nonetheless.
Luigi only likes Ferraris.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I tried the zoneAlarm too and hated it. Used the kerio (old version) for a few years, it was good but can't handle local networking.
Tried the new kerio too, after that, but it kept hanging...
I use the sygate pfw for a couple of years now - as I remember the only problem with it nowadays is that you cannot download it anymore, somebody bought it out. :(
It's an excellent choice otherwise.

Darren, we all wish you the best of luck, I have a feeling you need it all. :nod:
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

iRod wrote:
DarrenM wrote:
then how do you know?
Because I run a scan every now and then out of curiosity and because I've never had any problems with the running of my machines.

Viruses don't come from nowhere. If you use your brain you won't get them. The fact that I'm the only person that uses my pc, and that I've never used outlook and very rarely use ie is also a huge help. As I said, if your router has a firewall, there is absolutely no point running one on your pc as well.

I don't need luck. As proven by my lack of problems in 10+ years of computing.

Best of luck living in irrational fear of attack though. Best run 3 firewalls just in case. Oh wait, you are. :rofl:
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I'm sorry mate but if you technical knowledge is telling you that the nat router is secure enough against anything you do need the luck. Seems you have it too. :D
My 20+ yrs of computing xp is the base for this. (for me that is. I can almost hear you saying the hell it proves nothing. good on you.)

Nat firewall only protects you from certain attacks and from outside only.
Even the best firewall cannot protect you from everything, that's where the virus protection is needed.
Better be safe than sorry.
IE and outlook are indeed the worst, but not the only ones which can get some nasties on your machine.

Hell, there were mag CD's infected in the past...

Anyway, it's up to you, I really hope you'll be ok in the future too.

by the way I do agree that the best 1st level protection is one's brain! :)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Scuderia_Alan

Post by Scuderia_Alan »

I believe the router firewall only route is called the "caramel lolly", hard on the outside but soft and chewy inside.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

DarrenM wrote:
iRod wrote:
DarrenM wrote:
then how do you know?
Because I run a scan every now and then out of curiosity and because I've never had any problems with the running of my machines.

Viruses don't come from nowhere. If you use your brain you won't get them. The fact that I'm the only person that uses my pc, and that I've never used outlook and very rarely use ie is also a huge help. As I said, if your router has a firewall, there is absolutely no point running one on your pc as well.

I don't need luck. As proven by my lack of problems in 10+ years of computing.

Best of luck living in irrational fear of attack though. Best run 3 firewalls just in case. Oh wait, you are. :rofl:
well you've obviously labelled me as a paranoid idiot who visits dodgy sites :rolleyes: I don't use IE(Firefox or maybe Opera), i don't use any sort of email client, it's only web based email that has virus scanners like Gmail(which also doesn't allow dodgy files). Like you i am also the only one that uses my pc. And you musn't have read right, i am using 1 firewall, not 3. If you use your brain you'll see i said that already. I am far from worried about getting attacked, after all it's only files, no real big deal, but if running a virus program and a basic firewall can stop me from having the sort of hassles i did xmas day, then so be it. It's not big deal.

anyone that wants darrens ip address just PM me ;)