dvd and videos

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

dvd and videos

Post by ysu »

I have a moderatly simple task to do and I've already wasted so much time with it...I'd be very happy if someone could direct me towards a good program to use. I don't mind even if a paying one.

Ok here's the thing:
I bought a dvd-recorder to record stuff from the tv. Now I have three of DVD-RAMs and some DVD-RWs with some movies on them.
I've also bought an Asus DRW-1608p2s DVD-writer for the computer two days ago, with a spindle of DVD+Rs with the TASK in mind:

Free up the DVD-RAMs, copy the videos - nicely arranged - onto dvd+rs.

With this Asus thing came the nero6 crap and an ulead disk creator (dvd movie factory) crap. The nero seems to be totally unusable for anything but writing some stuff on a disc - altho it has zillion options for it. The ulead seems to be ok, but it just does not do it. I've exported the videos, wrote them on the other disc - and the sound was left behind. Took me hours or so to get here. It somehow exports the sound into a separate file (mpeg-2 format) , but at writing it disregards it. Neat. It claims to be able to export in vmw but cannot. Probably the codec is missing...I've no idea it only creates a short 5MB file and no error given. And everything takes ages, I've yet to see a program working slower than this. Support is of course non-existent, asian (taiwan) company what else do we expect...

The movies are supposed to be dvd+vr format. What I dont' get is why it cannot be exported in this format and written to another disc...well, anyway.

All in all I'm pretty much fed up with the whole thing, and need help to find a suitable program to use before I lose my patience and step on something.
I appreciate any help. Thank you guys.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Gusto

Post by Gusto »

hmm. hope this post isn't too late...

So you basically want to copy the video from your DVD-RW's to DVD+Rs? (I'm not sure if a DVD-RAM will fit in the asus, I've no experience with that format) - such that you can continue to use the rw's for recording and not fork out money for new ones?

If your DVD-recorder records stuff from the TV in MPEG2 (DVD), all you have to do is copy the dvd to the harddrive and then burn it to the new dvd with nero.

Open Nero Burning Rom (probably can do it with the other nero stuff but this is what I do)
Select DVD up the top left of the new compilation dialogue and click DVD copy (or if the dialogue isn't there click the 10th icon across on the toolbar).
Click the Copy Options tab and untick On the fly.
Click the Image tab and select a drive and directory to temporarily copy the dvd on
Click the Read Options tab and under fast copy settings select DVD-Video
Click the Burn tab, select your write speed, and click Copy.
Make sure the dvd-rw you want to copy is in your asus drive, and when it says to, change it to your blank dvd+r.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

thanks, not really.

first: DVD-rams are recorded indeed in an mpg-2 stream, but it contains everything but the sound (when I exported it the sound was always missing...funny huh?)
It even contains stuff I don't want to save. Ok that I could delete on the orig recorder.
But wtf is going on on this market is beyond me. Nothing is compatible with nothing, and all the programs just half working. It is a chaos.

So
- I have 2 top gear episodes on one disc, another 1 on another and another....
- I'd like to rip those episodes off the orig discs and put them on one single dvd+r

copying a disc can be done easily with almost any tool, it's the correct saving of a compatible file which does not seem to work.

The DRW-1608p2s is capable of reading the DVD-RAM that's not the problem I can copy the whole file off - but it's still just a huge file with all the crap in it.

And it's not late, I've given up the search until something happens, as I was just wasting time downloading and trying diffenent program which claimed to be capable of something video editing/ripping/copying....
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I can't really help you much except to say head over to http://www.doom9.org which is the best resource I know of for all things digital video related.