Seeking advice on Windows XP MBR

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
Montey

Seeking advice on Windows XP MBR

Post by Montey »

Hey all,

Well I've just been doing some mucking around with my HDD partitioning (fragging a Linux partition I don't need on this drive anymore and turning it in to an NTFS partition).

The concern I have is I may have just fragged the MBR that was running the GRUB boot loader, meaning the next time I boot this machine there is every chance it has no MBR and hence won't boot.

What I'm looking for is advice from you Windows guru's (not me, I'm in to the *nix variety) as to what I do if this is the case and the system finds no MBR upon a reboot.

How would you recommend recovering the system, without reinstalling everything from scratch.

Things to note:
- I have no FDD drive.
- I have CD/RW drive in the machine.
- I have USB ThumbDrive, but can't format it as it has work stuff on it.

So what do you think?
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

I'm assuming this is a dual boot windows - linux machine.

Sorry mate.... can't help. I'll ask a guru mate of mine.

You could try running a Knoppix bootable cd :)
Luigi only likes Ferraris.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Not sure if it will work but you can boot a windows XP cd and login using the recovery console, once logged in try using the "fixmbr" command.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

or fire up fdisk from a dos prompt (1in98 book disk is the go) and mark the windows drive as "Active".

Should do it.
eek
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

When I did this (exaclty: I farked up a windoze hdd's mbr with linux) the only way out was to go to a mate and copy the mbr of an exact same HDD. Funny but this one worked. With some very low level tool, I can't remember the name as this was years ago. Maybe diskedit?

But the good news is that it was win98 so with xp you may have better luck.

edit: fdisk could not even see the partition, hehe.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

Supposedly putting the XP disk in and repairing the MBR should do the trick...

I think what happens is the GRUB loader will still be there, but it tries to access the linux partition, which no longer exists... which obviously causes issues :P
Luigi only likes Ferraris.
petey

Post by petey »

Yep i'd go with booting from Xp cd and going to recovery, had same problem lol, phoned my Nerdy microsoft uncle and thats what he suggested, did the trick.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.