ADSL to ADSL2+ configuration

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
Montey

ADSL to ADSL2+ configuration

Post by Montey »

Hey guys,

Can someone who has done the ADSL -> ADSL2+ transition tell me, do I need to do anything special on my ADSL2+ modem (configuration wise) when I have the ISP switch me from ADSL to ADSL2+?

I just requested the changed from Internode, and it doesn't say I need to, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

no problems here. i was nervous because i read my router/modem wouldnt work on adsl2. but thats only because mine can only do upto 8000kbps.

since my adsl2 is only 1500k it's a'ok.

when you request a change and they change it over, it'll just connect at the new speed next time it disconnects or if you do it manually
It's been nice, chaps.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

The only change you may need to do is select an ADSL2 or ADSL2+ profile in the configuration if the router has this option.

I know most of the Billion routers require this as they are shipped set to ADSL(1) by default.
Montey

Post by Montey »

SHoNKY wrote:The only change you may need to do is select an ADSL2 or ADSL2+ profile in the configuration if the router has this option.

I know most of the Billion routers require this as they are shipped set to ADSL(1) by default.
I can't see anything along these lines.

My modem is a Linksys WAG54Gv2
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

what kind of line speeds are you getting atm?
i remember there were some settings i could fiddle with on my billion router but when i upgraded my firmware they went away....mines as simple as shonky said, just select adsl2+ in the profile....
Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

I have played with a Linksys ADSL2+ modem.... and there wasn't anything special that I remember...
It got a sync speed of 19Mb down.... which was quite impressive. Fairly close to the exchange. It was solid tho, didn't go down in 3 months with a shitload of traffic.

I've been using a billion on ADSL2+ for some time now and was getting 17Mb down at my old place. Moved house and only getting 6Mb now :( Too far from the exchange.
Luigi only likes Ferraris.
Scuderia_Alan

Post by Scuderia_Alan »

I believe the WAG54Gv2 is totally compatible with adsl2+ as that's the replacement modem they gave us when we upgraded last year. I've had a few issues with that modem/router and I hope we upgrade to the billion when we get voip. we were hitting 12mb but it's been sliding slightly ever since. :(
9ra55h0ppaH
Master artist
Master artist

Post by 9ra55h0ppaH »

ive got a WAG54G, the only thing i needed to do from ADSL to ADSL2+ was to use my ISP's page to change my speed (iinet)

ive had some small issues with discos every now and then, and using a setting it automatically reconnects itself rather than you having to do it (its towards the bottom of the first setup page) you hardly notice.
i get the odd disco in LFS, but it doesnt happen often, and if it comes to it, a quick reboot usually does the trick :)

the linksys one shits all over a D-Link DSL-G604T, thing couldnt last 1 hour without disconnecting for me, 3 returned modems, and about 3 hours on the phone with them, ended up going about 3 levels up the food chain and giving some poor bloke a spray before i got my refund... :(
Now with Added Flickr
Montey

Post by Montey »

Thanks guys for the input. I saw them do the quick change to the 1500/256 this morning (as I am on a Telstra DSLAM right now), and I should get migrated to the 'node DSLAM soon for the full 2+ experience.
Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

Nice! You'll love the upload speed, it's awesome! :)
9ra55h0ppaH wrote:ive had some small issues with discos every now and then
Maybe you need some help from Steve @ Microsoft...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... w+to+dance

:P
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

ADSL 2+ upload speed is pretty poor if you ask me, no increase over the 1Mbit you get with plain ol ADSL. Don't get me wrong it's great compared to the old max of 256 you'd get with standard ADSL here but when you consider downloads are potentially three times as quick it's not so great. I get 7Mb/1Mb with my ADSL1 modem and I'm only upgrading it cause a mate is buying it, otherwise there just isn't much point at this time.
Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

True... and if only they offered ADSL 1 with 1meg up at a reasonable price we'd have something to complain about :P
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Well I do so I guess that's why I'm complaining :lol: