7800GS LFS Performance Issue

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
Sterling

7800GS LFS Performance Issue

Post by Sterling »

I just upgraded from a 9600xt to an AGP Geforce 7800GS and the LFS performace is just woeful.

With the older ATI I had no trouble getting a consistant 80-90 fps, but with my new 7800gs I'm struggling to even get 50fps and with 10 or more cars on screen the fps drop to about 16 :fall:

I can only think its a GF series 7 driver issue with LFS, I've throw several other games(HL2, Doom3, Day of Defeat Source/Counterstrike Source, rFactor) at the card and have had no problem stability or performance wise.

My PSU is only a 350kw, so I've ordered a bigger Antec, but I don't think that it is the problem because the machine is stable in other games which are more demanding.

The card or processor is not overclocked and both are running fine temperature wise and CPU usage while playing LFS is only about 50%.....

Anybody else here have either a GF 7800gs or 7 series card and having problems? Any suggestions?

Current specs: P4 3.2, 1 gig ram, recent clean install of Win XP sp2
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

yes, I've received my 7800gs a few days ago an now tested it with LFS - I basically get almost the same fps as it was with the old 6600gt - 70-ish on a clean track, around 40 with a full field of AI ( edit: @1280x1024 )

it's definitely processor dependant at this point.

I'm using the latest whql drivers ( 81.98 ) with an A64 3400+ 1GB no o/c

are you sure you completely got rid of every part of the old drivers? That can cause problems I'm sure (if anything is left)
you may need a dx reinstall of extreme case a full windoze reinstall. :(
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Sterling

Post by Sterling »

ysu wrote:it's definitely processor dependant at this point.

There is definately something screwy.......same processor, same motherboard, same ram, much faster video card and I'm getting under half the frame rate I was with my 9600xt........my processor usage is barely 50% with LFS running , so considering those things I cant see how the problem can be processor.

I'll try and do a proper driver cleanup as I only just uninstalled everything ATI from Add/Remove before installing the NVidia drivers, so that could be the problem, and I'll give those WHQL drivers a go.

The other weird thing is that if I turn the AA & AF settings to Max I get get more fps........ :crazy:
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Sterling wrote:
ysu wrote:it's definitely processor dependant at this point.

There is definately something screwy.......same processor, same motherboard, same ram, much faster video card and I'm getting under half the frame rate I was with my 9600xt........my processor usage is barely 50% with LFS running , so considering those things I cant see how the problem can be processor.

I'll try and do a proper driver cleanup as I only just uninstalled everything ATI from Add/Remove before installing the NVidia drivers, so that could be the problem, and I'll give those WHQL drivers a go.

The other weird thing is that if I turn the AA & AF settings to Max I get get more fps........ :crazy:
:yikes: :faint:
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Blowtus

Post by Blowtus »

have you fiddled with the lfs graphics options?? ie, 16 and 32 bit, hardware vertex shading, haze, dither, lod settings, etc? I've got no suggestions mind you, but if it was me I'd be twiddling around in there to see if anything much changed.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Sterling wrote:my processor usage is barely 50% with LFS running , so considering those things I cant see how the problem can be processor.
LFS is only a single threaded app so it doesn't take advantage of hyperthreading, if you check the cpu usage graphs in task manager it iwill be using 100% of a single virtual core, which gives the impression of only 50% CPU usage. :(
Last edited by Shonky on Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tehsid
forum fairy - in a gay way!
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Post by tehsid »

Try reinstalling lfs (delete/re extract) because i had the same problem when i went form the 5700 256, to the 6600gt 128. I had to reinstall it..... odd, but it worked.
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

instead of reinstalling the whole thing, just try deleting the card_cfg.txt file. soon as lfs starts it will create a new one
It's been nice, chaps.
Sterling

Post by Sterling »

Well I add/removed everything to do with the nvidia card, then booted to safe mode and used Driver Cleaner Pro to remove any traces of both the ATi and Nvidia drivers, I then restarted and installed the latest nvidia drivers(84.21) and I've gained about 30fps in general so I'm getting about the same performace as you ysu, whilst not quite as good as my 9600xt it is a lot better than what it was and is at least playable now.

I tried doing a second clean install of LFS but the FPS were about the same, thanks for your help guys, greatly appreciated, I still think there is a driver issue but I'm just pleased to be able to drive now. :yes:
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

what AA and AF settings are you running?
Sterling

Post by Sterling »

It was on 4x on both with image settings on quality, but I just tried them both on max and it seems to make bugger all difference performance wise. :rolleyes:
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

With that card in LFS maxing out fsaa and af should make bugger all difference to frame rates.