digital video cameras, recomendations?

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

digital video cameras, recomendations?

Post by w00dsy »

I'm looking at getting a digi video cam soon, as i know zero about them, what should i look for?
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: digital video cameras, recomendations?

Post by norbs »

w00dsy wrote:I'm looking at getting a digi video cam soon, as i know zero about them, what should i look for?
A tripod. I know what you want it for. :nod:
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

If you want a tripod buy an expencive one. Trust me on this. Its one of those things where you get what you pay for. When it comes to a tripod you really need a good smooth action. You only get that by buying quality. $200 for a tripod is the minimum I would think of looking at.

As for video cameras. As odd as it sounds, the little mini things are not what I would go for. They are too light and too fiddley to work well. But, it must be said that I look at these things with professional eye (all be it via osmosis). Dad being a professional Cinimatographer meant that my understanding of cinematography was only ever from a professional point of view.

I would be looking at something like this which is about the same price as a good mini cam, but with the function and stubility of a larger camera.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
Montey

Post by Montey »

4thof5's recommendation looks like a kick ass camera, but I'd be inclined to ask what you want to use it for? If you want it for holidays and family events I'd say there are probably much better options. ThePanasonic unit linked to will give you TV production quality pictures, but you have to lug this big-ass vid-camera around everywhere. However there are devices (like this one: http://panasonic.com.au/products/detail ... ectID=3113) which are much smaller and hence easier to lug around on family trips.

So, question one for yourself: what do you want to do with the camera?
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

it's just for holidays and random shit. Nothing special. While Durbster has been here i have been eyeing his camera off, it's a Sony something, very small and nice for about $500.
Montey

Post by Montey »

- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

This page might give you the info you are looking for http://www.dcresource.com/index.shtml
limbo

Post by limbo »

my missus bought me a cheap (coupla hundred dollars) dig-cam for cristmas, i am a silver halide user from way back, and still think that the resolution and depth of field obtained with film is better. but she wanted a 'quick-to-use" digicam for my work bag.
i pretended to be really excited.... but after using it to do some motion shots and some macro (flowers and crap) i was pretty impressed with the usability and the images it produced. i'm still a silverhalide user, but thinking that maybe i will spend the bucks to buy a SLR digital. the little cheap one does some absolutely great work but is hard to hold as it dissappears into my big calloused 'mans-hand'. what i am trying to say i think... is you dont need to spend big bucks to get a good digital camera. the little pocket size ones work great to. (but i miss my 135mm nikon lens and my wide angle)

it was a 510powershot, by canon i think
Those Glands of Bartholin I bless, the sweet wild honey they express,
the exquisite faint scent they bring, of mountain flowers in early spring.