XBOX360, Bigpond Cable and MTU....

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
Bacchulum

XBOX360, Bigpond Cable and MTU....

Post by Bacchulum »

My flatmate is having problems logging onto XBOXLive due to an MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) problem.
XBOX say it's an ISP issue, Bigpond say it's the modem (so no support) and I can't find out diddly about MTU settings on Motorola SB5101 modems. :(
Does anyone here know anything about ths????

My flatate will personally thanks anyone who can help.
(So will I, this is the onle way I can get him to pay half the internet bill :eek: )
tehsid
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Post by tehsid »

I've had a few people come into work asking about the same thing... I think its a bigpond problem, but i'm not 100% what it acctualy is.

I'll keep ya posted.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

I had the same problem with ps2 online when i had Bigpond Cable. Apparantly theres something in Bigponds cable that only bigpond uses called 'heartbeat'. So you cant use a direct connection instead you have to go thru a separate router or something. Im not 100% sure exactly, when i was told this by the guy on the phone it was to complicated for me so i just gave up :rofl: . But yeah im pretty sure the heartbeat thing is the problem for you.
Bacchulum

Post by Bacchulum »

I'll look into the Heartbeat thing (it does ring a bell) but in the meantime here's my setup:
Bigpond cable into the Motorola SB5101 modem, CAT5 cable to a Netgear EN104 hub, CAT5 cable to the XBOX (and one to the PC)

The Netgear hub was used previously on my ADSL connection, the only change from the working system is the Motorola SB5101 and the Cable connection. :(
As for it being a Bigpond thing, the official word is:
Thank you for your email dated 12/04/2006 regarding Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) settings.

BigPond does not provide support for modifying MTU settings on customer modems, computers, or gaming consoles. For assistance with modifying MTU settings in your modem, we recommend that you contact Motorola Technical Support on 1300 138 823.
...I'm still waiting for a reply from Motorola (via email as I have no landline).
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

eek
Bacchulum

Post by Bacchulum »

Thanks pixel :yes:
The gamearena forum looked depressing, one post stating that 360 only works on Bigpond ADSL and Optus ADSL in Aus. :(
I think I'll keep an eye on that forum, in case a work-around pops up.
tehsid

Post by tehsid »

I have Optus cable, and it works perfictly!
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

SiD wrote:I have Optus cable, and it works perfictly!
i can attest to that. i got "Serverd" the other night by this prick :lol:
bertie

Post by bertie »

Bigpond cable should work as long as you have an authenticated device on the network as well.

I.E: Have your PC plugged into the same hub as the the xbox360 and cable modem, log in using the bigpond client (or BPALogin, or whatever you use), make sure you can use the net OK, then you should be right to use the Xbox360.

The other alternative (and what I currently use) is to have a router (pc with linux, or appliance) set between the hub and the modem, and let it do the authentication. Only thing you need to different there is configure some port forwarding on the router.

Good luck with getting the Xbox360 online
tehsid

Post by tehsid »

r8response wrote:
Lap it up, cuz it'll happen again.. lots....

As for PGR3, i think u have that it the back...
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

SiD wrote:
r8response wrote:

dunno about you SiD. but i reckon PGR3's version of the "Ring" is the best out there!

espically the behemoth :nod:
Bacchulum

Post by Bacchulum »

bertie wrote:Bigpond cable should work as long as you have an authenticated device on the network as well.

I.E: Have your PC plugged into the same hub as the the xbox360 and cable modem, log in using the bigpond client (or BPALogin, or whatever you use), make sure you can use the net OK, then you should be right to use the Xbox360.

The other alternative (and what I currently use) is to have a router (pc with linux, or appliance) set between the hub and the modem, and let it do the authentication. Only thing you need to different there is configure some port forwarding on the router.

This is my current setup and no joy. :(
As per usual, Bigpond says it's a Motorola problem, Motorola say it's an ISP problem. :jerk:
I say I'm going a'huntin' and killin' 'cause I've personally had a fucking gutfull of corporate psychopathic behaviour being unequivically acceptable as decent human interaction. :finger:
Wish I was a dollar note, then I'd be GOD throughout western capitalist countries. :no: :no:

Does anyone know if Optus have cable in Strathpine QLD????
I'd ask them myself but I'm full up of bullshit this week, couldn't stomach another load. :puke:
tehsid

Post by tehsid »

r8response wrote:
SiD wrote:
r8response wrote: i can attest to that. i got "Serverd" the other night by this prick :lol:

dunno about you SiD. but i reckon PGR3's version of the "Ring" is the best out there!

espically the behemoth :nod:
Oh i agree 100%, its unreal... wonder if it can be copyed off and converted to racer =P
bertie

Post by bertie »

Bacchulum wrote:
bertie wrote:Bigpond cable should work as long as you have an authenticated device on the network as well.

This is my current setup and no joy. :(
As per usual, Bigpond says it's a Motorola problem, Motorola say it's an ISP problem. :jerk:
I say I'm going a'huntin' and killin' 'cause I've personally had a fucking gutfull of corporate psychopathic behaviour being unequivically acceptable as decent human interaction. :finger:
Wish I was a dollar note, then I'd be GOD throughout western capitalist countries. :no: :no:

Does anyone know if Optus have cable in Strathpine QLD????
I'd ask them myself but I'm full up of bullshit this week, couldn't stomach another load. :puke:
Actually yeah - you are right. That won't work. Don't ask me what the fuck I was thinking when I posted that. Can fully understand your anger though. And as far as I am concerned, Bigpond should manage the problem, regardless of wether it is a network, service, or modem problem. You pay BigPond a monthly fee for internet access, not motorola, so you should only have to interact with Bigpond. But they always seem so keen to just fob difficult issues off I can't see it changing...

So what about the option of putting a router into the network? Grab yourself one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Netgear-RP614-Fi ... dZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Netgear-RP614-Ca ... dZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Netgear-RP614-Ca ... dZViewItem

Or send me your 360 and I'll work out how to get it working with bigpond cable :D
Bacchulum

Post by Bacchulum »

What's the difference between this:
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/RP614.php
and this:
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/EN104TP.php
????????????????

To my (ludite) eyes they perform the same function and I can't see anything about MTU's mention on either page. :(
I'd rather not buy a new router/hub if it's not necesary (I've just moved house and funds are negative atm).

Update from Bigpond:
Please note the helpdesk does not provide assistance in modifying customer MTU settings. If you require assistance in modifying this setting, please contact your local computer vendor or Microsoft directly on 132 058 for further support.
After I proved that it wasn't the modem they just changed the italic part of the same sentence. :rolleyes:
(These guys should play footy, they're bloody good at passing the ball :no: )
I guess I'll have to get a statement from M$ to force their hand again.
bertie

Post by bertie »

The difference is that the RP614 is a router, the EN104 is a hub.

I wouldn't get too excited about the MTU message. The XBOX will be showing this because it is trying to send/recieve packets on the net, and it can't because bigpond will not allow an unathenticated machine to transmit across the internet.

I don't wanna teach you how to suck eggs, but I don't know how much you know about how bigpond cable works. In essence, here is how bigpond cable works:

1. Device sends out a DHCP request, and gets an IP address from Telstra
2. Device then logs on to the bigpond authentication server using a bigpond client
3. Bigpond then grants that client internet access
4. Bigpond periodically sends heartbeats to the client to ensure it is still alive, and if it doesn't get a repsonse, it terminates the access.

The problem you are having is that the xbox has no login client to enable it authenticate with bigpond. Hence it is unable to complete the MTU test, hence the error message. So what you need is a device that can authenticate with bigpond, and can also allow other devices to connect to the net through it (i.e: a router), in much the same way as an ADSL modem works.

Optus cable don't use this authentication type system, so you wouldn't have the same problems with them. Yet another reason why Bigpond is just a big PITA.

Hope this info helps
Bacchulum

Post by Bacchulum »

Cheers Bertie. ;)
I know FA about how cable works so thanks for the lesson.
So if I change my hub for a router, it should be sweet, correct??
I might check out u-mart. :D
bertie

Post by bertie »

Bacchulum wrote:Cheers Bertie. ;)
I know FA about how cable works so thanks for the lesson.
So if I change my hub for a router, it should be sweet, correct??
I might check out u-mart. :D
You got it. Get a 4-port router thing and you'll be happy as a pig in poo :D

Good luck with it.