USB HDD for laptop problem

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
YnoT

USB HDD for laptop problem

Post by YnoT »

i got a problem

i bought a USB HDD cases so i can get a laptop's HD and plug it into my USB, but when i connect it to my computer, the computer is able to detect it but it cannot install the HDD so i come up with this screen

i think the reason it could not install is because of the weird characters, my computer is able to view chinese characters already so i don't know why it does not work, the CD that comes with it is useless because the driver is only for win98 and i checked the website for the HDD and it doesn't have the product driver for this model, any clues how to fix this?

i also tried to connect it to 2 different computers too but still the same problem

help anyone?

Tony
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Tried installing it from a specific location instead of letting Windows manage it?
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
YnoT

Post by YnoT »

norbs wrote:Tried installing it from a specific location instead of letting Windows manage it?
i tried the direct it to the CD-ROM drive but it couldn't find te right driver for it
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Is there a Win2000 driver for it ? If there is only a WIN98 driver, you may be screwed. I reckon there will be a XP driver somewhere though. I would have thought XP would just see it as an external driv. Thats how mine work.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
YnoT

Post by YnoT »

yea i thought it would be really easy to use cos my cousin bought his external HD here and it worked fine but i guess its just this one that i bought

damn it, have to take it back to the computer shop tomorrow :(

thanks norbs
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Sounds like it fuggered, under XP it shouldn't need any drivers one would think, should be just a matter of plugging it in, letting windows detect the drive and away you go.
Scuderia_Alan

Post by Scuderia_Alan »

I've had my fair share of installing weird Chinese hardware/software and I can tell you that it's misreading Chinese characters if the OS itself isn't the Chinese traditional/simplified version regardless of whether it can normally display Chinese or not. For some reason installation and program text never seems to display correctly unless the OS is a native Chinese version. It's never actually caused any errors for me, it just means you don't have a clue what it's saying especially when you come up to a yes/no type menu.

Most Chinese stuff I've used via USB still needs its own supplied drivers to be installed beforehand even on xp. Unfortunately as you've mentioned, those drivers are no where to be found. I hope it at least eliminates one theory for you.

If you give me a product name, model etc., I could try and see if I can find something.
YnoT

Post by YnoT »

yea i got no problems installing chinese programs and drivers, cos i can read chinese lol

i bought a noontec gigasave 2.5" USB2.0 Smart Backup HDD

Model no. is PH02B

the website for this company is http://www.noontec.com which has problems with the site cos the englsh version is dead so i went to the chinese version but there are no drivers for my model no

if no one can find it i guess i have to exchange a different brand or something tomorrow