Why you shouldnt by a mac

All the funny stuff goes in here.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Why you shouldnt by a mac

Post by NeilPearson »

Wasnt sure where to put this, whilest its funny, its also disgraceful that Apple charge so much extra.

wabbit

Re: Why you shouldnt by a mac

Post by wabbit »

Heh it's always been this way for the Mac Pro. The joke used to be, $33,000 for one Mac Pro? Totally agree most of stupid upgrade prices, what most don't understand or choose not to talk about to make their case seem stronger is... The Mac Pro doesn't use consumer grade hardware options, it's all pure Server grade. If only I could remember that site that explained why the HDDs cost so much. Or the Uni that used Mac Pros to build the top 5 Super Computer thingy.

Lastly, from the day the product is released the price doesn't drop. Which benefits Apple and every person the bought one. Unlike over time all hardware prices drop while competing for sales.

Still it's bloody, bloody expensive to own one... Unless you use it to make your living.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

but look at it this way, they don't need to be a market leader to survive. as long as people are willing to pay more then the street price, they will never go out of business in a the market.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Yep exactly Wobby, 25-30% profit is fantastic. Compared to the 5% profit average from other hardware vendors.
markus

Post by markus »

wabbit wrote: The Mac Pro doesn't use consumer grade hardware options, it's all pure Server grade...
Yeah, I lol'd at the highest rated raid card at newegg.com. https://www-304.ibm.com/shop/americas/w ... 8425732991ServeRAID-MR10is VAULT SAS/SATA Controller
IBM Web Price* $1,099.00
:D
Much cycling such kilometers.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Yeah IBM are just as bad as Apple. Once they lost in the pc game and become a heavily focused software & services one, their prices for everything shot up very quickly. 

The pic Neil posted is normally a typical thing found on Neowin type sites, ending in pages of endless bs over how much cheaper peoples custom build home pcs are "waaay better". Until the benchmarks are shown where the software typically used on Mac Pros shows the benefits. Then you only have to consider these machines aren't purchased as one offs but used in 10s to 1000s the benefit to business is clear. 
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

I understand the HDD's being expensive if you say they are server grade, but CPU? GFX card? Superdrive? (sorry i mean DVD burner, but i guess calling it a superdrive adds $50 alone) and then office? how have they gotten office to server grade? :P
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Neil that's why I said most of the options are way over priced. I can't confirm for the 2010 models but the '08 CPUs were server optioned aswell. The pic uses some truth and also does the guess work because Apple don't list the item product codes, because there's no need to.

So without knowing exactly what models are used an if the pic was created six months later the price will be really over priced.
markus

Post by markus »

NeilPearson wrote: and then office? how have they gotten office to server grade? :P
I hate to be the fanboy, but ffs.

He is (deliberately?) comparing wrong Office versions.
Apple is selling Office Professional for which the Microsoft suggested retail price is actually $399,95 (http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/o ... p-now.mspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

MS Suggested retail price (ok, I know it's 2010 not 2007) for Office Professional Windows version is $499,99 (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/buy/o ... 25640.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Or if you want to compare for the $279,90 Home and Business as in the poster, the comparative Mac version is $149,95

Wow, shock and horror. Apple (or MS) is actually ripping off the Windows users here :fall:
Much cycling such kilometers.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I'm no mac fan at all but when it comes to upgrading items like RAM, someone like Dell is just as bad. Just looking at a basic Optiplex system, it costs over $100 to go from 2GB of RAM (who puts only 2GB in a desktop these days anyway?) to 4GB. I guess it's an area where Dell is still able to make money.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

What I like about Dell is when you buy a printer from them, you have to pay for the cables as an optional extra! LOL.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

most printers are like that... all the inkjet printers at work don't come with cables.

Even my $2k epson printer didn't.
doug99

Post by doug99 »

Apple want to be a consumer electronics manufacturer. They make a box and people take it home, and never care about what is inside it, much like a TV or DVD player. I dont think it is fair to compare Mac & PC hardware, even though there are many common parts.

Years ago I was sent to an Apple hardware maintenance course, so I got to rip apart all manner of Apple hardware. At around the same time I did an IBM hardware course. For the IBM course we could strip almost everything down with about 3 screwdrivers - large phillips, small phillips and a flat blade. For the Apple kit you needed everything from torx drivers of differing lengths, multiple phillips and flat blades, some sort of ball headed thing for one particular series, a plastic card, and even a beveled paint scraper as some devices clip together (screws are so unsightly!) At the time some of the Mac books involved 90+ screws of around 10 differing diameters and lengths to replace the lcd panel. God help if you put a screw in that was too long. I remember one tower you could not reroute the SATA cables the same way if you had to replace them as the gap in the chassis was too small once the side was rivetted on. That being said things like magnetic AC adapters on the laptops are a fantastic idea that I cannot believe the PC world has not stolen, and the willingness to ditch legacy support for some things was also enticing.

But this is in the Hilari-ARSE area. We need something funny,
images-hilarious-cartoons-7.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

The Mag-Safe patent has prevented others I thought. And I sort of know what you mean about the screws cause I have the late '08 MBP, I've upgraded the HDD twice it's a longer process for sure (I need to be at work to do it, cause of the tools required).
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

doug99 wrote:... I dont think it is fair to compare Mac & PC hardware, even though there are many common parts.
That's funny enough mate :)
So I grab a different casing, build a computer from pretty much the same components; then put - let's say - an apple shaped logo on the side, and it's a different hardware suddenly?

Based on that any enthusiast case mod is a different hardware inside. :lol:
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

:munch:
:teach:
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Read my mind VT
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

I bagged the bejesus out of Macs, until I owned one. Now I will never go back. I paid a premium, but by jesus, it gives me no where near the fucking issues PCs did.

But it really is horses for courses. And yes, Apple gear is fucking expensive. Well, except for OSX. It cost me $29 for the latest version. Microsoft wouldn't even sell you MSPaint for $29. :)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

funniest thread ever
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

norbs wrote:I bagged the bejesus out of Macs, until I owned one. Now I will never go back. I paid a premium, but by jesus, it gives me no where near the fucking issues PCs did.

But it really is horses for courses. And yes, Apple gear is fucking expensive. Well, except for OSX. It cost me $29 for the latest version. Microsoft wouldn't even sell you MSPaint for $29. :)
And based on the man BBQ thing from sometime ago or the "noods hoods" I'd say $29 would have been well spent :D
--------------
Stu
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

meh most people know my feelings on it.

I will always be a windows person, but also remember im a windows admin at work so im quite a big power user, and also a big gamer so it suits me well.

That being said, I understand why Mac's have a growing market share.
I think someone at work put it best, think of them as the fisherprice computers.

So you want to uninstall somthing? drag it to the bin, when in windows its this complicated thing
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

w00dsy wrote:funniest thread ever
:vibes:
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

@ Neil, thought you'd like this. The average price of Macs has dropped 2.9% :lol: :D
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

I've used both Macs and PCs at work and home for nearly 20 years and the Macs are by far the nicer machines to use.

They start up faster, they have a nice working environment and I just prefer them.

Win7 has gone a long way to help them catch up but OSX is still better in my opinion.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

wabbit wrote:@ Neil, thought you'd like this. The average price of Macs has dropped 2.9% :lol: :D

better buy 3 then! :D