Canon 1D X annonounced for March

ARSE's photographers and arts forum
Speed

Post by Speed »

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11101 ... eos1dx.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks awesome with heaps of new features & has a native iso of 100 to 51,200. :eyepop:

Just ordered one each for Emjay & myself. :p
http://500px.com/Warren_Joyce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Re: Canon 1D X annonounced for March

Post by KNAPPO »

WOW, :eyepop: one each, :fall:
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Not sure if want.
Speed

Post by Speed »

KNAPPO wrote:WOW, :eyepop: one each, :fall:
We have a pretty good system in our household that works well for us in that we can each have pretty much whatever we like, (within reason :) ),.....so long as we get two. :D
Swain OHaw

Post by Swain OHaw »

DexterPunk wrote:Not sure if want.
Agreed. I really think a 1 series is too much for me ... and I'm very happy with my 5D.
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

Speed wrote:http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11101 ... eos1dx.asp

Looks awesome with heaps of new features & has a native iso of 100 to 51,200. :eyepop:

Can I have your old 5D II, I mean, since you're not gonna be using it anymore...
:teach:
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Speed wrote:
KNAPPO wrote:We have a pretty good system in our household that works well for us in that we can each have pretty much whatever we like, (within reason :) ),.....so long as we get two. :D
Now that's a system!
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

VTRacing wrote:
Speed wrote:http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11101 ... eos1dx.asp

Can I have your old 5D II, I mean, since you're not gonna be using it anymore...
And I'll grab EmJay's :)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Swain OHaw wrote:
Agreed. I really think a 1 series is too much for me ... and I'm very happy with my 5D.
The only thing I'd really like is the extra weather sealing you get with a 1D body.... The extra low light would be nice too, but I'm not sure it would be the same kind of a jump it was from the 30D -> 5DII. Extra video, extra fps, extra focus points etc... none of that really matters to me. It would be a nice camera, but I'd be better off putting some of the cash into glass if I was going to spend money on camera gear.
Speed

Post by Speed »

norbs wrote:
VTRacing wrote: Can I have your old 5D II, I mean, since you're not gonna be using it anymore...
And I'll grab EmJay's :)
Thanks for the generous offers guys but we'll be hanging on to them as backups. :) Probably need shutter replacements by then...I expect to hit 150,000 actuations before March. :eek:
DexterPunk wrote:
Swain OHaw wrote:
The only thing I'd really like is the extra weather sealing you get with a 1D body.... The extra low light would be nice too, but I'm not sure it would be the same kind of a jump it was from the 30D -> 5DII. Extra video, extra fps, extra focus points etc... none of that really matters to me.
I expect that in the areas that are important to me that it will be a huge jump from the 5D2. The 5D2 is a fantastic portrait camera & even outdoor sports but for indoor sports I find it sadly lacking. I don't need the extra focus points really but better focus & the new focus tracking sounds really interesting. Struggling to focus on someone wearing black in poor light has me pulling what remains of my hair, out.
At the moment we're sometimes pushing to get 1/250th at 4,000 iso & there are plenty of things that we don't even bother to shoot because of it. The 1DX is supposedly 3 stops improvement on the 5D. My mind boggles at the freedom that would give. I'm confident that it will pay for itself very quickly :)

I also don't care about video or fps...I only ever use single shot but it will still be nice to have for the odd occasion. :yes:
Swain OHaw

Post by Swain OHaw »

Speed wrote:
DexterPunk wrote:
Swain OHaw wrote:Agreed. I really think a 1 series is too much for me ... and I'm very happy with my 5D.
The only thing I'd really like is the extra weather sealing you get with a 1D body.... The extra low light would be nice too, but I'm not sure it would be the same kind of a jump it was from the 30D -> 5DII. Extra video, extra fps, extra focus points etc... none of that really matters to me.
I expect that in the areas that are important to me that it will be a huge jump from the 5D2. The 5D2 is a fantastic portrait camera & even outdoor sports but for indoor sports I find it sadly lacking. I don't need the extra focus points really but better focus & the new focus tracking sounds really interesting. Struggling to focus on someone wearing black in poor light has me pulling what remains of my hair, out.
At the moment we're sometimes pushing to get 1/250th at 4,000 iso & there are plenty of things that we don't even bother to shoot because of it. The 1DX is supposedly 3 stops improvement on the 5D. My mind boggles at the freedom that would give. I'm confident that it will pay for itself very quickly :)

I also don't care about video or fps...I only ever use single shot but it will still be nice to have for the odd occasion. :yes:
I use mine almost exclusively in low light (theatre lighting) conditions and find it performs very well - even for dance shows were the performers tend to be moving very quickly, and if they're lit by James Mackenzie then there isn't going to be a lot of light. I'm not saying you're experiences are invalid, just the I'm not experiencing any deficiency in the performance of mine under such conditions. Frankly, the 5D/24-70 combination is still a glorious revelation after three years of pairing my 20D with a lens whose AF retained its tenuous grasp of basic functionality only due to the tenacity of a piece of electrical tape ... it was woeful to an extent I only appreciated fully when using it again recently.

I'm not saying I wouldn't want my camera to have some of the new features of this 1DX - extra low light capability and better noise handling will always be a boon to my work - but what the camera can do is not why it doesn't appeal to me. I think for whatever reason I've never been attracted to the 1 series cameras - and not because I can't afford one (although I really, really, really can't) - and I really don't know why. It might be the sheer size of the things. It might be that I used one once for about a minute and found it thoroughly confusing because there were loads of extra buttons, which in reality just cover all the standard functions but have them separated out, and then duplicated for landscape and portrait shooting. Either way, this camera doesn't appeal to me as something I would want to own, and on a practical basis, it doesn't provide something I'm desperately missing which makes me 'need' to own one ...

That said, I've been struggling to justify the 5D or even owning a camera at all recently ... I sense this post may be redundant, who can tell?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I see the 5D2 lasting me a good couple of years yet... If I can't take good shots with it then I think I shouldn't be a photographer. Maybe if I was earning a crap load more money from my work, and just wrote it off on tax, I might consider it. For now I'm pretty much 100% certain I don't want a new camera body. Wouldn't mind a couple of lenses though, hence my initial statement. Not taking anything away from the 1Dx, im sure it will be fantastic piece of gear. And if someone is offering to give me one free of charge, I wouldn't say no. :)
Speed

Post by Speed »

We just picked up our new cameras.....they're very flash. Batteries are on charge. :)

We're shooting some volunteer firefighters setting a car alight on Thursday night so I'll post some high iso shoots soon.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Excellent! Look forward to seeing the results.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
mole2k

Post by mole2k »

I'll just potter along with my 20D :p
Speed

Post by Speed »

The 20D is still a good camera & you certainly take some amazing shots with it. :)

I'm not sure how well it goes, or even if it goes up to 12,800 iso which is where I think the majority of my shots are going to be.
The low level of noise even up to 25,600 is quite incredible.
mole2k

Post by mole2k »

Don't get me wrong I'd love to get a newer camera, just cant afford one!

(the 20D only does up to 3200 and really anything over 800 is pushing it)
Speed

Post by Speed »

Some shots from last night with minimal editing. All taken at 25,600 iso.
The camera performs pretty well, particularly with a 2.8 lens . It's quite a bit more complex than the 5D so I still have a lot to get used to.
AI servo focuses pretty well in the dark but won't grab focus every time. It's much better in "one shot" & shits all over the 5D2 in any circumstance so I'm pretty happy. :)

_J4P0347-Edit.jpg
_J4P0307.jpg
_J4P0311.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Speed

Post by Speed »

We had a chance to shoot some gymnastics on the weekend to test our cameras in their natural habitat………WOW, just awesome!!!!!

The gym photos I’ve attached were taken at 12,800, 16,000 & 20,000 iso respecctively, & not only that, with the 5D MkII I would either miss, or not even bother taking 20% of shots because of poor focus or lack of shutter speed. With the 1DX I missed less than half a percent.

To be fair to the 5D though, in good light & at low iso there really is very little difference in image quality.
_J4P2552.jpg
_J4P2764.jpg
_J4P2869.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Very nice.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Nice one. I'm a bit tempted to get one actually. Will have to wait till next year sometime if I do though.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Speed, where did you buy the 1dx's from? I'm not having any luck finding a price through work. Seems we don't stock any of the 1D series. :(
Speed

Post by Speed »

We got ours from PRA. http://www.praimaging.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last I spoke to them, they had sold 35.
norbs

Post by norbs »

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/08/cano ... are-1-0-6/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Speed

Post by Speed »

Thanks Norbs. Actually I had an issue the other day trying to do a micro focus adjustment using the Reikan Focal software & put it down to a bug in the software.
Hopefully this firmware will sort that. :)