Canon 1D X annonounced for March

ARSE's photographers and arts forum
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I really should be buying this before I leave the country to get my 10% tax back, but this holiday is already costing a crap load.

The reason I'm looking is my 5d2 is now about 5 years old... It's also been drowned in salt water so I'm a little worried it will give up at any time, although so far so good. I'm not sure the 5d3 is enough of a jump up. Speed did you find the image quality in low light is a large improvement over the 5D2? TBH I'm not really interested in the high fps shooting. But having a proper weather sealed camera with much better high ISO would be good.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: Canon 1D X annonounced for March

Post by norbs »

DexterPunk wrote:I really should be buying this before I leave the country to get my 10% tax back, but this holiday is already costing a crap load.

The reason I'm looking is my 5d2 is now about 5 years old... It's also been drowned in salt water so I'm a little worried it will give up at any time, although so far so good. I'm not sure the 5d3 is enough of a jump up. Speed did you find the image quality in low light is a large improvement over the 5D2? TBH I'm not really interested in the high fps shooting. But having a proper weather sealed camera with much better high ISO would be good.

Hang on Dex. viewtopic.php?p=200670#p200670" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :D

I wondered because my 5D is 5.5 years old.

I would be worried too if it was salt water and lots of it. That said, my 5D has been covered in sea spray to the point it was dripping off it. I got it home and wiped it over with baby wipes and all good. That was years ago now.

What would the 5D3 and 400mm lens cost compared to just the 1Dx Dex?

Dex with a 1DeX :)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Speed

Post by Speed »

The 1DX is still fairly noisy even at lowish isos. It just doesn't seem to get that much worse as the iso go up & I would happily shoot photos with the intention of selling them, up to 25,000.
Oh & I don't need high FPS either but at an event, even shooting in oneshot, I can still shoot 10,000 images in a weekend

Where the 1DX really shines other than high iso IQ, is low light focus.
http://500px.com/Warren_Joyce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Speed wrote:The 1DX is still fairly noisy even at lowish isos. It just doesn't seem to get that much worse as the iso go up & I would happily shoot photos with the intention of selling them, up to 25,000.
Oh & I don't need high FPS either but at an event, even shooting in oneshot, I can still shoot 10,000 images in a weekend

Where the 1DX really shines other than high iso IQ, is low light focus.

Sweet holy bastard in a manger! :yikes:
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Yes...they were the exact first words which came to my mind.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

norbs wrote:
DexterPunk wrote:I really should be buying this before I leave the country to get my 10% tax back, but this holiday is already costing a crap load.

Hang on Dex. viewtopic.php?p=200670#p200670" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :D

I wondered because my 5D is 5.5 years old.

I would be worried too if it was salt water and lots of it. That said, my 5D has been covered in sea spray to the point it was dripping off it. I got it home and wiped it over with baby wipes and all good. That was years ago now.

What would the 5D3 and 400mm lens cost compared to just the 1Dx Dex?

Dex with a 1DeX :)

I coulda sworn I got it in early 2008. Well there you go.

I'd say you could get a 5d3 and a 100-400 L cheaper than a 1Dx by itself. Quick look at prices suggest around the $6900-7500 price range.

I'll be getting the lens regardless before I go away, as well as a whole heap of other photo related bits and bobs. I'm looking at a carbon fibre Benro travel tripod as well. Need something ultra light but reasonable. I took a little Manfrottto to Laos with me, it was bloody useless. I ended up giving that away.

Speed

Post by Speed »

norbs wrote:
Speed wrote:I can still shoot 10,000 images in a weekend
Sweet holy bastard in a manger! :yikes:
I should expand on that. Some events that we shoot are Thursday to Sunday.....so not exactly a weekend. :)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Still pretty impressive, I shot less than that traveling around Thailand and Laos for a month.

Speed

Post by Speed »

We just finished a big gymnastics event........well not quite. We now have 39,685 images to look at, cull, edit & upload. It'll be 12 hours a day edting for most of this week.

Because Emjay & I can't cover enough apparatuses we had some other photographers shooting for us, a couple of them using 5D2s.
It's just amazing that sometimes you can't comprehend how good something is until you go backwards. Looking at their shots is painful, the difference in colour & dynamic range is mindblowing.

At the end of the event I shot a couple of competitors at 12fps just because I could.
I won't get a chance to look at them for a few days but if I got the focus ok I'll post a couple here.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Shhhhh stop making me want the 1Dx. Can't afford it yet.

Speed

Post by Speed »

I forgot when I shot these that although I had my camera set to 12 fps I also had it set to focus priority & not speed priority which can slow the frame rate down......sooo....I have no idea what frame rate these were really taken at.

Emjay & I have been asked to shoot the Chetkovich cup at the end of October which is pretty awesome. There will be some of the top gymnasts from around Oz including 5 Olympians.

Vault (1 of 13) by warren joyce, on Flickr
Vault (2 of 13) by warren joyce, on Flickr
Vault (3 of 13) by warren joyce, on Flickr
Vault (4 of 13) by warren joyce, on Flickr
Vault (5 of 13) by warren joyce, on Flickr
Vault (6 of 13) by warren joyce, on Flickr
Vault (7 of 13) by warren joyce, on Flickr
Vault (8 of 13) by warren joyce, on Flickr
Vault (9 of 13) by warren joyce, on Flickr
Vault (10 of 13) by warren joyce, on Flickr
Vault (11 of 13) by warren joyce, on Flickr
Vault (12 of 13) by warren joyce, on Flickr
Vault (13 of 13) by warren joyce, on Flickr
Vault 14 by warren joyce, on Flickr
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Fantastic - I love the look on her face just as she touches down!
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Speed

Post by Speed »

Exar Kun wrote:Fantastic - I love the look on her face just as she touches down!
Thanks. Haha, yeah the look on her face is classic. :)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Looking more like a 1Dx purchase is likely very soon. Well as soon as I get my tax return sorted out anyway. You still think it's the way to go Speed? It's a lot of money for me, but I guess these are the reasons I can justify it...

- 5D2 was covered in salt water, and shutter button stopped working for a couple of hours. It works now. It hasn't stopped since then. It must have been a year and a half ago that happened. I have a horrible feeling that it will jump up and bite me in the middle of shooting a wedding.

- This leads into my second point... I don't have a usable backup body. I wouldn't consider my 30D much of a backup.

- If it lasts me 5 years, it's around $1500 a year. At the moment i'm making that for one wedding.

- From the limited reading I've done, it seems the 1Dx is around 4 stops better for noise at high ISO. Thats pretty huge, and allows me a lot more freedom to get the shots I want at receptions etc. The other improvements of a 1D body over what I have are fairly significant, but mostly a bonus.

- While it's still working, I can use the 5D2 as a second body rather than mess around changing lenses.

The cons? I'm struggling to think of any aside from forking out the dosh.
Speed

Post by Speed »

Don't get me wrong, I love my 1DX & wouldn't part with it but for wedding photography a 5DMkIII might be a better bet.

The auto focus is very close to as good as a 1DX which kills the 5DII in low light, it is probably less than a stop different in performance at high isos & I believe the shutter is a fair bit quieter. The 1DX is reasonably noisy.

Pros for the 1DX are the dual CF cards, 400K shot shutter life & weather sealing & the battery is good for over 3,000 shots although I think they say 1,800 in the manual.

A working professional must have a backup camera in my opinion.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I read the documentation on the battery, since I'm used to working with 2 at once with another spare 2. And it claims 1100 odd shots at 23 degrees. Interesting that it can do more. I'm sure I'd grab a spare anyway.

Weddings are not all I shoot. Just primarily what I'm making money from right now. If I could choose I would be doing more commercial work. I've done some work for a window and door manufacturer and did a lot of the images for their website and brochures. Most are just images inside and out with their products somewhere in the shot. I really enjoyed doing that.

And yeah all those extras are great, the better durability and weather sealing, handy because I shoot landscapes for my own enjoyment. The better AF tracking would be nice for Motorsport when I get to the track. And I know it's silly, but I never really liked any of the canon battery grips I've used. That's one area Nikon have always done a far better job. So a decent built in grip on the 1Dx would be nice too.

The low light performance is really the most important though. And I've seen examples of both the 5D3 and 1Dx. I can see a significant difference. I think maybe the 4 stops was the 5d2 vs 5d3, but they also compared the 1Dx as well which seemed usable well into the 20,000 odd ISO. That would be so useful to me.

The dual CF I must admit gave me a bit of a nerdgasm.

I really would rather not buy the 5D3. The only other options are to wait for a 5D4 or a new 1D. Both I'm guessing are a fair way off.

Speed

Post by Speed »

DexterPunk wrote:The better AF tracking would be nice for Motorsport when I get to the track.

The low light performance is really the most important though. And I've seen examples of both the 5D3 and 1Dx. I can see a significant difference. I think maybe the 4 stops was the 5d2 vs 5d3, but they also compared the 1Dx as well which seemed usable well into the 20,000 odd ISO. That would be so useful to me.
I'm not 100% sure as I don't own a 5D3 but I think the only difference in AF between the 5D & the 1D is that the 1DX is slightly faster at focusing due to the higher powered battery.

I think 4 stops is an exaggeration although I happily shoot at 16,000 iso & it's possibly my imagination but I don't like the loss of dynamic range at 20,000.
I used to shoot gymnastics events on my 5D2 at 5,000 iso albeit not 100% happily. so I would say 2 to 3 stops difference between the 5D2 & 1DX would be more accurate without any scientific data to back me up.
We have had a couple of photographers with 5D3s shoot events for us & I ask them not to go over 12,800 iso which is not quite comparable to the 1DX at 16,000 but still very good.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Don't know if this is of much interest and I may have posted this before.

Canon's sensors perform best when used in rough multiples of 160. What this means is that 160 has better noise performance that 100, 320 is better than 250, 640 is better than 400 and so it goes.

[youtube] [/youtube]

I suspect that it applies to some extent at the extreme end of the range. Don't ask me why this is so but I suspect it has something to do with binaries...

Might be worth investigating the best performance at high ISOs for peace of mind.

Just sayin'...
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

The metering system on the 1Dx is also better iirc.

I think I'll be going the 1D.

Speed

Post by Speed »

Thanks for that video JD, I'll do some testing.

The 1DX metering is pretty complex & I'm sure it is better Dex. You won't regret your decision. :yes:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Regretting or at least wondering what I'm missing out on is somewhat (although obviously not the only reason) I feel like I'd be happier with the 1D. I've been shooting long enough now that I know how to push the limits of a camera and it's dynamic range.

I have no doubt that the 5D3 would do the job. In fact in some areas it's superior - weight, and silent shooting. That would come in handy in some situations.

Overall I think the 1D is just a better overall camera, and I like things that are built to last. Although I don't for a second believe that the camera makes the photographer, I would like to own a pro body, and at least I know if a shot isn't right, I can only blame myself.

Just have to get off my butt and sort out my tax return now.

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Picked up a 600EX-RT today. 580EXII mysteriously wouldn't turn on this morning. Hopefully I can get it repaired. I could use two flashes anyway. While I was there I put down a deposit on a 1Dx and extra battery.

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Wow Dex!!! So you couldn't resist after all hey, nice one.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah, can't wait. Hopefully pick it up this time next week.

Speed

Post by Speed »

Cool, you'll love it.

I've been thinking about getting a 600EX. I have a couple of 580EXIIs & Pocket Wizards which have an electronic noise problem when working together.
I think using a proprietary Canon wireless system would be much better. After saying that I mostly use strobes these days.

The latest rumours regarding Canon are that they are developing a 75mp camera at the moment with a Fovean sensor. ( So effectively 25mp from my understanding).
I hope it's true. It will be a huge advancement.