3D Modelling Thread

ARSE's photographers and arts forum
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

3D Modelling Thread

Post by DexterPunk »

I know we have some projects around the place that are sim related, but couldn't find one that was just a general thread for 3D model creation. Perhaps a good place to ask questions as well as I'm sure I have a few.

Not sure how many here use blender, but it's what i've been teaching myself the last couple of months. It's been a challenge, but i'm enjoying it more and more after getting some of the basics down. I've recently been creating a spinal cord cross section, nerve and rootlets, which has been a challenge. The output will eventually be 3D printed.

In the mean time, I started this yesterday as something to work on in my spare time. It may take a long while to complete as it's a bit of an in-between thing. Not too tricky as it's mostly geometric shapes, and I'm sure there are plenty of models already made, but it's just a good little project to continue learning how to use the program.

Quincy

Re: 3D Modelling Thread

Post by Quincy »

I've often thought someone needs to remodel all the crappy 70's 80s style trophy figurines. . . Bowlers, batters, tennis players etc........ I guess modelling human figures would be quite difficult?
balls & boobs. . .
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I don't think it would be too tricky with the level of detail in trophy statues. Wouldn't be hard to 3D print them, and paint them either :D Business idea?
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Cool - I never tried Artoo but he would be a good candidate to get some practice in. I've done Bender in a couple of different programs. I'm sure Righty would have a few things to throw in!

I haven't modelled anything outside of work in a while really. Here's a farm (Belgenny near Camden) that I had to measure and draw last year. If anyone has seen the Mazda 3 ad where the buildings peal away and the car drives through, this is the place at the end of the ad.

One thing I did have a go at was coming up with a way to parametrically model Foster's Gherkin (30 St Mary Axe) in London. Spent a day playing around and got far enough but would like to go back and do it properly at some point. It's made so that you can type in the dimensions of the building / framing and everything just adjusts automatically.

"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

That's awesome!! Seem to have posted in the right place for any advice :D
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Cool thread.

These days my weapon of choice is Cinema 4D. It has become very popular in broadcast television so I spend more time with that then I do with Lightwave.

I modelled this remote for a Hisense 4K TV commercial that ran during the F1

And recently I've been playing around with the Maxwell render engine. It's very slow but is incredibly good at simulating global illumination etc.

I did this one with the demo before I bought the learning edition one, hence the watermark.

Most things are similar across programs, each has their own way of doing things. I've played around with blender before but never really got the hang of the interface.

Perhaps you can start doing some Assetto mods with your new skills Dex??
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Amazing stuff, that transparent object looks awesome.

I'd like to Righty, but it might be a while before i'm at that level. Time is also another factor. I have plenty of time here at work to learn, it's become part of the job. But time to do models for myself may be a bit limited to do large projects. I can't see myself finishing R2 for quite a while.

I have some pretty advanced photogrammetry software here that we are going to use to create models. I was originally intending to use it to create an outer mesh of my car that can be worked on and eventually put into something like AC, but the amount of work involved would be pretty insane. Not for the photogrammetry aspect, and a basic model, but to make it detailed enough, and to model all the interior... not to mention the physics, and sounds. I've always known theres a huge amount of time and effort put into game models, but actually learning a 3D program has given me a new appreciation for how much work is actually involved.

If either of you guys have any models you have made that you'd like printed, let me know... I have a Ultimaker 2 ordered here, and could probably chuck through a couple of cheeky prints.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Replicate the Fleshlight Dex!
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Wow, that final one looks mad, Righty. I never get to render stuff. Clients don't want to pay for it so it's all generally just modelling and then drawings for approval/tender/construction from the models. Currently working on a Mini dealership though so at least I get to chuck some cars in there. :)
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Haha. Most the time I find that I just start stuff to see if I can and then when I work out how to do it, I never finish it properly.... I don't know why that is.

The stuff that I've done for work always gets finished in good time, but personal projects just end up being tests more than anything.

This was another where I was just testing lighting.

I find caustics/refraction and global illumination pretty interesting. If I put all my tests into practice one day I might actually make something cool ;)

I'd love to 3D print some stuff, but first I've got an AC track I need to finish :)

*Link fixed
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

For the last 6 or so months I've been using Blender at work a fair bit. My interest is probably more materials (node editor) and lighting than 3D modelling itself. Light path and Geometry nodes for the win! ;)

I've also written a few python scripts to clean up imported objects... which made me remember why I dislike pythons coding styles.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Yeah, nodes are cool. Lightwave introduced a node editor years ago for materials, they are a very powerful way to work.

All we need is someone else interested in rigging and animation and you've got yourself a production pipeline.
norbs

Post by norbs »

My production pipeline is in my dacks.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

norbs wrote:Replicate the Fleshlight Dex!
norbs wrote:My production pipeline is in my dacks.
What are you contributing to this thread? :rofl:
norbs

Post by norbs »

The fucking spirit of ARSE! :D
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Then surely a butt plug would be more... fitting?
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

So the thread goes like this:

wtf
wtf, but Im following you
wtf
wtf
wtf
wtf
wtf
haha
wtf
wtf
wtf
wtf
haha

A good read though. Clever little fuckers :up:
--------------
Stu
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

I've been using Blender for about six years now. It's probably the best free software I've ever seen and is astonishingly powerful.

I'd love to show you all that I've achieved in that time but I've probably started hundreds of projects and not finished a single one. :(

I have two short films that I'm desperate to make before I die and Blender seems to be the way I can do it, but I'm not so good at modelling and rigging so keep failing to make it through to the bit I actually enjoy - the animation. :drown:
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

wtf
balls & boobs. . .
mole2k

Post by mole2k »

I've been thinking about lately as I've a friend with a 3D printer and have been mulling over the idea of making a very intricate chess board & box with metal pieces and had been considering casting them instead of turning each metal piece on a lathe. The idea was to design them in some 3d software, print them all setup with channels etc to then make a greensand negative mould off so I can cast my copper & brass pieces!
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Depending on what his printer prints with, that may cause issues. Im not very knowledgable with casting metal objects but if you're pouring in liquid metal or very hot maluable metal into a resin, it will likely melt away. A plaster printer may work, but usually (from my limited knowledge) plaster printers use the plaster as a support that breaks away, rather than the model itself.

You could use a titanium 3D printer id think, but they are a couple of mill :D something that the university I'm working at is looking at purchasing soon. But yeah, I might be way off in how you go about casting the metal and what ideas you have.

I've been thinking about buying an air brush for R2 when he's finished and printed. I might have to hit you up Mole for some advise on painting models. Do you use Facebook? Been a while since we've chatted on MSN :D
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Oh I see... Greensand negative... Disregard my entire post except for the bugging you on painting tips bit. I blame the whisky I've consumed.
mole2k

Post by mole2k »

That whiskey sounds like good stuff!

Yeah i'm on fb, obsessively so some might say: facebook.com/stephen.carson.75
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I'm still keen to finish off my own R2, perhaps with some moving parts. Printed this in the mean time.

What it looked like out of the printer... Still has the brim and supports on it.

And after a bit of a clean up. Still needs some more work but looking pretty good.

Next on the cards will be to paint/airbrush it.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Awesome.