Pro DSLR vs Point and shoot

ARSE's photographers and arts forum
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I just bought a new point and shoot camera and thought i'd try it alongside a pro dslr. There are a number of factors here which are obviously going to make them harder to pick. If you pixel peep the full res images you can tell one from the other, and it's far from tricky light. Still I thought it's interesting to see how far point and shoot sensor tech has come in the last few years. Try not to cheat and look up the exif data. Which one do you reckon is which? There are a few tell tail clues.

a quickr pickr post
J.D.
Rat

Re: Pro DSLR vs Point and shoot

Post by J.D. »

I'm going with the lower one being from a dSLR because the contrast looks a bit better...but I'm sticking my neck out.

On the other hand, if the contrast in a P&S is that good...
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
Speed

Post by Speed »

I agree, at a glance the bottom image looks more crisp to me.
http://500px.com/Warren_Joyce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Speed

Post by Speed »

Point and shoots are pretty awesome these days and I use mine way more than my DSLR....not that I'm doing much photography at the moment.

What did you get?
http://500px.com/Warren_Joyce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Yeah I'd go with the bottom one being DSLR too. It looks a little sharper and the contrast looks better, particularly in the lens area.

I bet we're all wrong :D
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
markus

Post by markus »

From the small pictures, I'd go with the others. However looking at the full size originals I'm not so sure :)

In fact looking at the dof and 'unsharpness' near the lens I'm pretty sure the upper one is the dslr.
Much cycling such kilometers.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Top DSLR based on the DOF like Markus said.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
markus

Post by markus »

To be honest, I don't think there's even a need to know. That we are debating which is which speaks volumes about the quality of point and shoots (in non-tricky light at least).
Much cycling such kilometers.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

markus wrote:To be honest, I don't think there's even a need to know. That we are debating which is which speaks volumes about the quality of point and shoots (in non-tricky light at least).
Yep. That's pretty much it, isn't it.

You and Norbs are correct by the way. I actually stopped the DSLR down to try and make the dof somewhat similar, otherwise the narrower is always a dead giveaway of the larger sensor. There's no question the D800 is a better camera. It stands head and shoulders above in trickier light, and at 100%. But for daylight snaps, I'm pretty astounded at how far these little cameras have come.

It's a Sony RX100 MkIII, Speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

I wasn't going to say it but I didn't pixel peep it until after I had decided. Then I saw a smidgin of CA on the rewind crank of the Hasselblad and the difference in depth of field. That's when I knew I was probably wrong. But the CA is easily corrected anyway. TBH; I prefer the look of the RX-100 over the Nikon, based on the contrast. There's a ton more shadow detail.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Not exactly point and shoot but... This one's a bit closer. One was taken with an Olympus E-M1 with the 12-50 kit lens and the other was with a Sony A7R with an OM Zuiko 85mm f/2.

Which is which?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.