Canon EOS-1D X Mark II announced

ARSE's photographers and arts forum
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Canon EOS-1D X Mark II announced

Post by Big Kev »

-Fastest shooting EOS-1D, capable of up to 14 fps full-resolution RAW or JPEG, and up to 16 fps* in Live View mode with new Dual DIGIC 6+ Image Processors.
-Achieves a maximum burst rate of up to 170 RAWs in continuous shooting at up to 16 fps, and 4K movies using CFast™ cards in the new CFast 2.0™ slot.
-Experience less noise in higher ISO images via a new 20.2 Megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor, with an ISO range of 100–51200; expansion to ISO 409600.
-Improved AF performance through 61-point High Density Reticular AF II system with 41 cross-type points, improved center point focusing sensitivity to -3 EV and compatibility down to f/8.
-Accurate subject tracking for stills and video with new EOS Intelligent Tracking and Recognition AF with 360,000-pixel metering sensor.
-4K video (4096 x 2160) up to 60 fps (59.94), with an 8.8-Megapixel still frame grab in camera. Full 1080p HD capture up to 120 fps for slow motion.
-Dual Pixel CMOS AF & Movie Servo AF for high speed, high frame rate and continuous autofocus during video shooting.
-View and control high quality stills and videos via the 3.2-inch touch panel LCD with 1.62 million dots.
-Increased resolution and fine detail, with lens aberration correction and diffraction correction via new in-camera Digital Lens Optimizer technology.
-Built-in GPS provides geotag information including auto time syncing with Universal Time Code via satellites.
-The new optional Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E8A is compatible with IEEE 802.11ac/n/a/g/b, supporting both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi® bands.
-Durable and rugged magnesium alloy body with dust- and-weather resistance for demanding shooting situations.
-$5999 USD

ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Re: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II announced

Post by DexterPunk »

Nice!

Would love to trade in my 1Dx and give this one a crack, but really the one I have is way more speed than I need. I bought it for the low light sensitivity and rugged build quality. Probably not a big enough upgrade to warrant spending that much money again. Shall wait and see I guess.

The other thing is I really don't use my own gear a hell of a lot anymore. Not as much as I'd like anyway. It sometimes gets a spin at work if I need to shoot an indoor event, but often for museum shoots and the like, the D800 gets used.

Looks like a hell of a camera though. Wonder what the dynamic range is like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

In built GPS. yes.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
pab

Post by pab »

norbs wrote:In built GPS. yes.
To help find elusive shearing sheds?
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

pab wrote:
norbs wrote:In built GPS. yes.
To help find elusive shearing sheds?

Fucker! :D
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Swain OHaw

Post by Swain OHaw »

That's a lot of camera. Far more than I'll ever need!
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

It's more about 'want' than 'need' :D

...unless it's your job to shoot action of course.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Far more than I'll ever want or need!
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
Swain OHaw

Post by Swain OHaw »

DexterPunk wrote:It's more about 'want' than 'need' :D

...unless it's your job to shoot action of course.
J.D. wrote:Far more than I'll ever want or need!
This.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

You guys really wouldn't want one if it were on offer? After using a 1Dx for a couple of years, it really is on another level. Even if you never shoot at high speed.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

If it was on offer, sure. Not turning my nose up at it. Right now I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to afford an M.Zuiko 300mm f/4 PRO...
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
Swain OHaw

Post by Swain OHaw »

Over the past two years I've been slowly downsizing my camera(s) so a massive great thing like this doesn't interest me in the slightest. I'm not looking for paid work anymore ... not that I ever attracted much ... so I really don't know what I'd use it for. Most of my photography is done while wandering around or on holiday. I do the odd bit of work occasionally, and sure, I could bolt my lenses on to this instead of the 5DII but I honestly, honestly don't think I would swap the two - I'm not saying the 5D is a better camera, it clearly isn't. I just don't want a camera that's about the size of my head.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

It's depends... The 5D2 in some situations is no worse than the 1Dx. In particular in good light for landscapes. Although I feel where it has the slight edge in resolution, it loses out in dynamic range.

I always shot with a battery grip on my 5D2 anyway, which is similar size and weight to the 1Dx.

I do hear what you're saying. A small light camera is great for street photography being far less conspicuous. I guess a 1Dx comes into its own, when image quality under all conditions is at utmost importance, and the compromise you make is size and weight. The current 1Dx would have to be near 4 years old now and there still isn't a lot that can match it for a super durable, fast focusing, low light, professional quality camera with noise I'd actually consider pleasing. The Nikon pro bodies can also be included, although the 1Dx is still kind of unique in comparison. It was enough for my (previously very Nikon fan boi) mate to admit he loved using them at work. He ended up buying a 1Dx a few months back for his work camera. Luckily he didn't have to pay, he was kind of pissed about the announcement haha.

There's really is a lot to love about them. Although they are heavy, I don't often feel it slows me down. I travelled all through Vietnam and Cambodia with it, and I'll be taking it to South America in a few months. While I'd prefer it to be lighter, and smaller, it's the lowest on my list of priorities when it comes to making good photos.

Having said that. I'm more impressed with the RX100m3 that I just bought than I was when I first used the 1Dx. Partly because I was expecting a significant step up, which I got, but I got what I expected. I definitely didn't expect what I got with the RX100. Even after reading such positive reviews. It's an absolute killer little camera. That margin between consumer and pro gear is closing up.

It's a blessing and a curse. Understanding light is what is always going to separate a photographer from a guy with a camera. There's still no way I'd refuse or not want a 1Dx2 if it was handed to me though.

My favourite thing about a 1Dx though is the CF card door that opens with a turn of a little knob. Worth the money just for that little door. I really am just a big kid.

Swain OHaw

Post by Swain OHaw »

DexterPunk wrote:It's depends... The 5D2 in some situations is no worse than the 1Dx. In particular in good light for landscapes. Although I feel where it has the slight edge in resolution, it loses out in dynamic range.

I always shot with a battery grip on my 5D2 anyway, which is similar size and weight to the 1Dx.

I do hear what you're saying. A small light camera is great for street photography being far less conspicuous. I guess a 1Dx comes into its own, when image quality under all conditions is at utmost importance, and the compromise you make is size and weight. The current 1Dx would have to be near 4 years old now and there still isn't a lot that can match it for a super durable, fast focusing, low light, professional quality camera with noise I'd actually consider pleasing. The Nikon pro bodies can also be included, although the 1Dx is still kind of unique in comparison. It was enough for my (previously very Nikon fan boi) mate to admit he loved using them at work. He ended up buying a 1Dx a few months back for his work camera. Luckily he didn't have to pay, he was kind of pissed about the announcement haha.

There's really is a lot to love about them. Although they are heavy, I don't often feel it slows me down. I travelled all through Vietnam and Cambodia with it, and I'll be taking it to South America in a few months. While I'd prefer it to be lighter, and smaller, it's the lowest on my list of priorities when it comes to making good photos.

Having said that. I'm more impressed with the RX100m3 that I just bought than I was when I first used the 1Dx. Partly because I was expecting a significant step up, which I got, but I got what I expected. I definitely didn't expect what I got with the RX100. Even after reading such positive reviews. It's an absolute killer little camera. That margin between consumer and pro gear is closing up.

It's a blessing and a curse. Understanding light is what is always going to separate a photographer from a guy with a camera. There's still no way I'd refuse or not want a 1Dx2 if it was handed to me though.

My favourite thing about a 1Dx though is the CF card door that opens with a turn of a little knob. Worth the money just for that little door. I really am just a big kid.

All good. I suppose we differ when it comes to priorities - for me size and weight are priorities; especially now I have various issues in my lower back which cause frequent sciatica attacks. Even with the 5D (no battery grip) and 40mm Pancake, my back feels it after a day walking around. I wouldn't fancy traveling like you have with the 1Dx.

Another thing is, I'm barely a photographer anymore; the technical definition of 'one who takes photographs' is really all that applies to me. I'm not dedicated to it, and I wouldn't self-identify as a Photographer. I'm certainly not a professional photographer in any capacity; not that I ever really was. I point a camera at shit occasionally; I take photographs, there's not much more to it than that. Taking photos isn't such an important part of my life anymore, so having the absolute best equipment to do so likewise matters less to me; I'd rather just be comfortable pointing my camera at shit and taking my meaningless photographs for whatever reason it is that I still do.

P.S. Yes, I am a real ray of sunshine. And ultimately if someone were to give me a 1DxII, no questions asked, nothing in return; I'd keep it and take it on paid jobs if/when I do any, but I'd probably not use it for much of my own 'work', such as it is ... trees and shadows and stuff ... and the shadows of stuff, obviously.