Best compact around $500

ARSE's photographers and arts forum
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Best compact around $500

Post by Vilante »

Another recommendation thread :)

Need a compact for work, mostly for taking pics of buildings inside and out so need something fairly wide, but also to satisfy my urge to take pics since my DSLR died.

Budget is around $500 for the camera itself.

Cheers :aussie:
pixelboy

Re: Best compact around $500

Post by pixelboy »

I just bought a Nikon P610 for about $400.. it's awesome with GPS, WiFi and a huge zoom but might be a bit big for your requirements.

You can buy my old G12 for $100 if you want.. Great camera, I just wanted a longer zoom for my Kruger trip.
eek
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Best compact around $500

Post by DexterPunk »

I wouldn't mind betting you could pick up an RX100m2 second hand for near that price.

As far as something new, I actually don't really know anymore. Been a long time since I looked at them. The Nikon p330 used to be good back in the day. I don't know if they replaced that or not.

The p610 pix has is great for what he needs, but wouldn't be as good as other non superzoom options for indoors. You should be able to pick up something with an f/1.8 lens for around that price is you shop around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

pixelboy wrote:I just bought a Nikon P610 for about $400.. it's awesome with GPS, WiFi and a huge zoom but might be a bit big for your requirements.

You can buy my old G12 for $100 if you want.. Great camera, I just wanted a longer zoom for my Kruger trip.
I nearly took you up on that myself Pix, but have to use the cash elsewhere :(
DexterPunk wrote:I wouldn't mind betting you could pick up an RX100m2 second hand for near that price.

As far as something new, I actually don't really know anymore. Been a long time since I looked at them. The Nikon p330 used to be good back in the day. I don't know if they replaced that or not.

The p610 pix has is great for what he needs, but wouldn't be as good as other non superzoom options for indoors. You should be able to pick up something with an f/1.8 lens for around that price is you shop around.
Is this the Mk1 Dex? Would it do the job, what are the changes?

https://www.cambuy.com.au/collections/d ... 4061739207

I reckon the boss will want something new is all.

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated!
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah that would be the MKI. They are all very good cameras for their respective price range. Even an original RX100 would be a lovely camera. Yes it would do a great job.

Basic rundown here... http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/20 ... -rx100-iii

I'd advise you to look at a proper review of any camera you are considering over at http://www.dpreview.com though. I'm not up on the latest and greatest in the consumer range cameras, but they are, and they really know their stuff.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

DexterPunk wrote:Yeah that would be the MKI. They are all very good cameras for their respective price range. Even an original RX100 would be a lovely camera. Yes it would do a great job.

Basic rundown here... http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/20 ... -rx100-iii

I'd advise you to look at a proper review of any camera you are considering over at http://www.dpreview.com though. I'm not up on the latest and greatest in the consumer range cameras, but they are, and they really know their stuff.
It looks like I can get the MkII for the same price online, around $580. Would be worth getting the most recent possible model. I check on DP, and all the models have glowing reviews. It's what I was originally looking for, 1.8 and reasonably wide.

Thanks again Dex.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

No worries.

Yes they are absolutely fantastic compacts. I own the MIII.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Bit late to the party.. but anyway..

I have a Canon SX710 HS (and Miss V has the previous model, the SX700 HS). We've been happy with them. I'd recommend it. :)