Tele Lens for MotoGP

ARSE's photographers and arts forum
c.j
Midget Wanker

Tele Lens for MotoGP

Post by c.j »

Hey,

I am heading to the motogp with my old man in Oct, we will be at turn 12 and sitting around a 100m from the track, maybe more. I have the 7D body I bought from JD and I am curious what Tele lens I should be looking at for these kind of distance?

I should add more detail. I will be using the lens for motor sport and specifically for photographing my sister in her show jumping (horses) as she attempts to get to Japan in 2020. I figured I would by a decent lens now and if I need to upgrade the body I can do that next year.

I was looking at the Canon Lens 300mm EF f/4L but this would be my first L series lens so any help or considerations please advise.

Thanks in advance
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Re: Tele Lens for MotoGP

Post by DexterPunk »

100-400 L has my vote. Ripper lenses. 100m from the track is going to make it really difficult though

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-UL00 using Tapatalk
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Same.

I had V1 and currently have v2. Brilliant.
The v1 is cheap enough 2nd hand too. Takes a little getting used to with the push/pull zoom but you soon pick it up.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Excellent, I had the same advice from JD.

Cheers gents :yes:

;)
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

DexterPunk wrote:100-400 L has my vote. Ripper lenses. 100m from the track is going to make it really difficult though

That! 100m is a long way.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Down for just the race? or weekend.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

norbs wrote:
DexterPunk wrote:100-400 L has my vote. Ripper lenses. 100m from the track is going to make it really difficult though

That is only for where we are in seated, I will try the reference points JD has given me around the track to get a better shot.

Also saw a photo of you Dex holding all the artillery from one of your trips there, as JD put it loaded for bear. :yes:

After the shake up this year and 7 different winners in 7 races I am really looking forward to being there.

Whole weekend Wobbles

;)
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Doing any of the Bike rides to the track?, or more fly down and drive?
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

c.j wrote:
norbs wrote:

That is only for where we are in seated, I will try the reference points JD has given me around the track to get a better shot.

Also saw a photo of you Dex holding all the artillery from one of your trips there, as JD put it loaded for bear. :yes:

After the shake up this year and 7 different winners in 7 races I am really looking forward to being there.

Whole weekend Wobbles
Yeah the 500mm.

Image <-- not my pic.

Ended up buying that lens off JD. Without a doubt the sharpest lens i've ever used. A lot of the shots here were taken using it. http://www.arseforums.com/phpBB/viewtop ... bb#p420917
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

DexterPunk wrote:Yeah the 500mm.
Yeah, nice pics there mate. It's a weapon for sure. :yes:

We have decided to buy the series 2 lens, I will buy him the lens because he is a good bloke and he will buy the mark 2 body. I going to hopefully get a few days practice in at a local mx round before we head off.

wobblysauce wrote:Doing any of the Bike rides to the track?, or more fly down and drive?
Driving the whole way, the R1 isn't legal in NSW so I would be naive to think I could get there and back without attracting attention. Also I don't want to put that many highway km's on it.

PI is booked solid after the GP, every man and his dog wants to do laps on the track post GP because of the extra grip. I will wait. R1 will be in Sydney for most of the summer so hopefully I have a chance to ride it in anger again. :yes:

;)
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

With Track days what group are you normally in? Knew a few people.. Post GP is also when the Weather generally heats up as well.. like the last track day here, normally 4 groups, got merged to 3 more runs for all, great day 20ºc ish.

California Superbike School is after the open track days also.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Depends on the track. At Lakeside I can ride in the fast group but at PI I would be in the slow to intermediate because I have not got my head around Turn 9 and 10

;)
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Think it is something like this.
>2:10 White.
2:00 Yellow.
1:50 Green.
<1:50 Red.

But it all depends on the riders on the day. Its all relative. Some days only run 3 groups.
"Sometimes even the fastest riders aren't fast. We swap people around depending on how the packs are running.
If he's a fast rider id say book in for the green group. Then just see how he goes. If he's too quick we'll put him up. If he's not comfortable in the green we'll drop him down I to yellow."

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ