Magic Lantern

ARSE's photographers and arts forum
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Magic Lantern

Post by KNAPPO »

Has anyone here ever used Magic Lantern?
http://www.magiclantern.fm/
What is it?

Magic Lantern is a free software add-on that runs from the SD/CF card and adds a host of new features to Canon EOS cameras that weren't included from the factory by Canon.
Tools like on-screen overlays and headphone monitoring allow you to capture footage with confidence.
Basically I want to use this for my 50D to enable it to capture video. I think for it to work ill need to sort out a microphone as the body would be lacking a mic due to the 50D being one of the last Canon's to not include video.

Magic Lantern looks pretty feature rich, lots of menus to pour thru and learn what & where everything bloody is.

Looks very interesting but the deal breaker for me might be sound. Reading up on it it looks best to have a standalone sound recorder and sync it all up in post which sounds like a colosal pain in the arse for what my use case would be to go thru with magic Lantern.
You will probably want/need a tripod and a sound recorder/mic as well, as the 50D does not have built in sound capabilities. But none of the Canon cameras record decent sound anyway, so I recommend investing in one of the Tascam portable recorders, which can be purchased for under $200, and doing dual system recording (don’t have a clapboard? Just use your hands, or have your subject/actor clap at the beginning of each shot).

Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.