Photography Gear For Sale thread.

ARSE's photographers and arts forum
Peptis

Re: Photography Gear For Sale thread.

Post by Peptis »

If you're ordering from the US, you'll have to add 10% GST as well. Customs will hold it until you pay.

Some types of cameras are exempt though, so it's worth checking if yours is or not.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

norbs wrote:
SamC wrote:So he's paying 799US+ whatever for the same camera as Norbs is offering for 700AUD?

But from B&H it is new. And I think Shonky will have to buy a Mack warranty as well. I dont think OS bodies have an Aussie warranty. Not 100% on that.

Just to be clear, I have no grudge with Shonky. Just wanted to point out to Pix that there is quite a price difference. Go for it shonkmeister, its a ripper camera.

Oh, and just so as you know Shonk, the 40D is under $1300 locally now. Thats a bloody good deal too.
No probs Norbs, I understand about the warranty side of things and the shipping, given that the 40D is available locally for less than $1300 I think it would be the better option.

WOW -> http://www.shopbot.com.au/p-80666.html
macca
Founder
Founder

Post by macca »

SHoNKY wrote:
norbs wrote:
SamC wrote:So he's paying 799US+ whatever for the same camera as Norbs is offering for 700AUD?

But from B&H it is new. And I think Shonky will have to buy a Mack warranty as well. I dont think OS bodies have an Aussie warranty. Not 100% on that.

Just to be clear, I have no grudge with Shonky. Just wanted to point out to Pix that there is quite a price difference. Go for it shonkmeister, its a ripper camera.

Oh, and just so as you know Shonk, the 40D is under $1300 locally now. Thats a bloody good deal too.
No probs Norbs, I understand about the warranty side of things and the shipping, given that the 40D is available locally for less than $1300 I think it would be the better option.

WOW -> http://www.shopbot.com.au/p-80666.html

Wow, the price just keeps coming down, you need to be careful whether they are Canon Aus or grey imports re Aus warranty, plus some prices include GST, got mine from digital camera warehouse at Canterbury, I still like the fact that I can walk into a shop & check what I am getting on the spot.
I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zedmacca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Peptis wrote:If you're ordering from the US, you'll have to add 10% GST as well. Customs will hold it until you pay.

Some types of cameras are exempt though, so it's worth checking if yours is or not.
not unless your paying over $1000 AUD...
SamC
Photographer, not artist.

Post by SamC »

Hey,

Does anyone have or know of where to get a decent camera bag that has a fair bit of room? I am just using a silly old Billabong toiletries bag thing for my camera and 2 lenses(Yes, I know, still haven't got anymore lenses) and I really should look at getting a proper camera bag, any recommendations?
markus

Post by markus »

SamC wrote:Hey,

Does anyone have or know of where to get a decent camera bag that has a fair bit of room? I am just using a silly old Billabong toiletries bag thing for my camera and 2 lenses(Yes, I know, still haven't got anymore lenses) and I really should look at getting a proper camera bag, any recommendations?
Anything made by Thinktank Photo or Kata.
Much cycling such kilometers.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

I have a little Lowepro bag which is fine for the body and 2 lenses, and some other little tidbits, I'm gonna have to upgrade when my new lens arrives, so if you dont mind waiting a month or so Sam you can have mine for a 6 pack of Johnny cans.
Gusto

Post by Gusto »

I think I have the same as Hertz, and use it when I head out, leaving other lenses at home (usually head out with the fisheye, 100-300mm and either 18-55mm or 50mm prime).
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I got a Delsey Gopix 90 backpack, bought it off Ebay for about $90 from memory, tis a good bag, currently fits all my gear with some room for a little more.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

generaly the best camera bags out there are Lowepro, or Crumpler.... on the other hand, if u use those bags, people imidiately know your carrying expensive equipment... i know several pros who use old ratty no name bags to carry their gear around in. but meh, i have a couple of lowepro bags, one being a Lowepro Rover AW plus.

pack carries your camera and around 3-4 lenses in the bottom section, and a section up top for whatever, also has a tripod carrier, and a little wet weather jacket for the bag that comes out from underneither.. it does so many things its hard to name them all, but beware, photobags come with a massive price tag... this one was around $250 ish, and that was cost price.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Ive got the Lowepro Slingshot 200.
The cool thing with the slingshot is it can be used as a backpack or a side bag really easily especially with the side access flap thingo.

Its great for the twin lens kit but if i had any exra lenses i would probably need to upgrade.
You can fit a fair bit of gear in there for such a small bag :)

Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
SamC

Post by SamC »

Ah yeah, I really like the backpack idea of things.
SamC

Post by SamC »

Hey guys,

STILL haven't got around to getting a backpack and now is the time I think, I am going on a motorbike trip(offroad) and I really want to take my camera for some shots as I missed out on it last time, so would something like this do the job?( http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod3031.htm) or do you reckon I would need a full on waterproof, it would obviously need to be padded and some kind of water protection, with decent room for stuff because I no doubt will be getting more lenses etc, down the track. What can you reccomend? Also anyone know of some ripper places as far as prices go for this kinda thing?

Cheers :)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

you can get ones (one i use has it) with its own little waterproof jacket that fits over itself. might be a good idea on the bike.

friend of mine at uni gets stuff from hongkong really cheap, she got the bag a model down from mine for like $60. i paid $250 for mine, and that was whole sale from a mate who worked at a harvey norman :S no idea where these honkanese sites are, but aparently they are around.
pab

Post by pab »

DexterPunk wrote:no idea where these honkanese sites are, but aparently they are around.
http://www.digitalrev.com/en/index.php

A couple of guys have used them at work, one has bought a few lenses, the other got a D300. Ordered it one afternoon, it arrived before lunch the next day :eyepop: I'm guessing that even though the company runs ouf of HK they have an Aussie warehouse?

I don't have any personal experience with them, but they seem legit from what I have seen.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Hey guys, I thought id post this now... even though it may be a few months down the track. When i do eventually purchase a 5DmkII ill be getting the 24-105 with it, as i wont have an EF widish lens. im keeping my 30D but since ill have the 24-105, i dont really need my 17-85... I thought if i post now, it may give someone a chance to get the funds together.

In case you werent sure, its a Canon EF-S 17-85 IS USM f/4-f/5.6. The lens has always had a UV filter over the front element to protect it, and a lens hood has been purchased for it, both of those will be included. Theres nothing wrong with the lens, im basicly just trying to upgrade to L series lenses, and will prob be also buying a 17-40 L at some point.

The lens does have some issues with barrel distortions and some vignetting at 17mm, but its nothing that cant be corrected in post, and as far as im aware, its evident in all the 17-85's. Its certainly a versitile and great lens for a crop sensor walkaround lens, and would suit a hobbyist or someone getting started, or even someone on a budget. I can post some sample images from it if required, but really, quite a lot of my shots have come from that lens.... see my flickr and navigate to the recent landscapes from Lochsport Victoria, and they were all done on this lens.

as far as i know the lens retails for approx 700-800.. and the UV filter and lens hood would have been around $90. Quick search of ebay didnt show much cept for new lenses being sold for around 600ish.

If anyone is interested, make me a reasonable offer. I thought id ask here first, if no ones interested ill just stick it on ebay once ive got me new gear... cheers.
WizardHat

Post by WizardHat »

Well, bought a DSLR last week hoping to get into photography again, this week I get hit with fines :P

So I've got to sell her to pay them off.

Item: Nikon D40 DSLR

Item Condition: Perfect, only a week old.

Price and Payment Conditions: $450, paid $750 for Camera, card, bag & extended warranty last friday. Would prefer pickup but will post at buyer's expense.

Extra Info: Comes with Receipt, warranty, 4gb memory card 18-55mm kit lense, all required cables & rechargeable battery and charger, software, neck strap, Camera case and packaging.

Pictures: http://www.nikon.com.au/productitem.php ... 3f08245016

Contact Details: PM or Post here.

It's cheap as but I need it gone ASAP, making a pretty hefty loss on what I paid.
The only thing we really need is a good tune, good view & a good brew.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

DexterPunk wrote:Hey guys, I thought id post this now... even though it may be a few months down the track. When i do eventually purchase a 5DmkII ill be getting the 24-105 with it, as i wont have an EF widish lens. im keeping my 30D but since ill have the 24-105, i dont really need my 17-85... I thought if i post now, it may give someone a chance to get the funds together.

In case you werent sure, its a Canon EF-S 17-85 IS USM f/4-f/5.6. The lens has always had a UV filter over the front element to protect it, and a lens hood has been purchased for it, both of those will be included. Theres nothing wrong with the lens, im basicly just trying to upgrade to L series lenses, and will prob be also buying a 17-40 L at some point.

The lens does have some issues with barrel distortions and some vignetting at 17mm, but its nothing that cant be corrected in post, and as far as im aware, its evident in all the 17-85's. Its certainly a versitile and great lens for a crop sensor walkaround lens, and would suit a hobbyist or someone getting started, or even someone on a budget. I can post some sample images from it if required, but really, quite a lot of my shots have come from that lens.... see my flickr and navigate to the recent landscapes from Lochsport Victoria, and they were all done on this lens.

as far as i know the lens retails for approx 700-800.. and the UV filter and lens hood would have been around $90. Quick search of ebay didnt show much cept for new lenses being sold for around 600ish.

If anyone is interested, make me a reasonable offer. I thought id ask here first, if no ones interested ill just stick it on ebay once ive got me new gear... cheers.

The time is almost about right for me to part with this lens... I cant part with it till i get my new gear (hoping 3 weeks, could be 1 week could be 6 weeks lol) as ill prob be back at uni, and its my only wide lens. Any one interested? asking $350.
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

Would this be a useful replacement for the 18-55 IS kit lens? Or would the difference not be that noticeable considering it's roughly the same speed?

I'm interested.
:teach:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Those new 18-55 IS lenses are good VT... IIRC its f/2.8 all the way through?? from what ive heard the image quality is at least on par with the 17-85, and at some focal lengths better. I wouldn't recomend switching. If it had of been an old 18-55... i would have recomended you take if off your camera, nail it to a frizby, and fling it over a rainbow.
markus

Post by markus »

DexterPunk wrote:Those new 18-55 IS lenses are good VT... IIRC its f/2.8 all the way through??
f/3.5-5.6
Much cycling such kilometers.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

ah k, cheers...

but yeah, it still gets good reviews though.
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

The reviews I've read say it's a decent lens - for a kit lens - whatever that's worth.

I just read a review which said the 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM (which is probably the one you were thinking of before) is far superior to the 18-55 IS and indeed, according to the review, better than the 17-85 f/4-5.6.
digital picture wrote:"If these two lenses cost the same amount, I'd definitely recommend the 17-85. But they don't - and this makes the decision more difficult. The 18-55 IS is a better value - more lens for the money - but the 17-85 IS is a better lens - especially if the longer focal lengths are important to you. "
digital picture wrote:"The Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is the easy winner of this comparison. The 17-55 is sharper at f/2.8 than the 18-55 IS wide open though the 18-55 IS has a slight edge wide open at 18mm in some of my comparison shots. Matching aperture settings (as much as 2 stops at 55mm) makes the 17-55 IS look even better."
:teach:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »