Future tournament discussion

Hit ya balls into this forum
Bauer

Future tournament discussion

Post by Bauer »

I dont want to get to far ahead of ourselves here, and you guys seem happy to go along with whatever format/course we choose, but I was hoping for a little feedback on where we go next month for the June AGGOT.

Haze and i are wanting to do an "open" style tourny. much like we did when we first started but going the whole hog and doing 4 cards over 4 weeks and playing with another member. We only want to do 2 or 3 of these full on 4 round tournaments per year.

Thoughts at this stage are to do 2. 1 as an 'open' using an easier course and 1 as a 'masters' using a more difficult (not Rufus hard, maybe Hela) course. In between these events, we do a variety of events much like we are now.

So my main question is: If we do an open at an easy venue, where would you prefer it to be held?
--------------
Stu
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

Just wanted to add, maybe we can look at making some pairing's or groups throughout the tournie....... a little like a real life?????

I realise that it is tough for everyone to organise times etc to get together but thought it might be cool to have something with a bit of a real life feel :)

Also I'm sweet with any of the easier courses :) sounds awesome to maybe have a few AGGOT Tour Events with a Major thrown into the mix :D
fp

Re: Future tournament discussion

Post by fp »

Bauer wrote:So my main question is: If we do an open at an easy venue, where would you prefer it to be held?
NamChonCC.

And I agree with dvestate, if I understand him correctly. Tournament using formats other than 'stroke' could be very interesting, such as doubles tournaments using the Four-ball match or Foursome format.
Or a 'Masters' style tournament where players are eliminated over the course of a few weeks until the top 2-4 go head to head in the final round of 18.
A high stakes skins tourament could also be tempting for those AGGOTs willing to gamble with their NGs. :) :2c:
This will be my signature until Dexter Bean qualifies for a NASCAR race. Keep chasing that dream...
pab

Post by pab »

fp wrote:Or a 'Masters' style tournament where players are eliminated over the course of a few weeks until the top 2-4 go head to head in the final round of 18.
Do you mean matchplay?

Yeah, it would be fun if the logistics of it could be sorted out.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
J_luo88

Post by J_luo88 »

Yeah, if it was matchplay, then we would need to draw out a tree table and randomly draw ppl. I also like the idea of partnership championships, be it that one ball per two players or seomthing. Would be pretty good =]
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

matchplay would be great.

so would a 4 ball :)
--------------
Stu
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

No reason why we could not have a club championship that covered both individual and foursomes

No reason at all...

What we may need to decide on is an actual night we gather...like a league race night if you like...
fp

Post by fp »

pab wrote:
fp wrote:Or a 'Masters' style tournament where players are eliminated over the course of a few weeks until the top 2-4 go head to head in the final round of 18.
Do you mean matchplay?

Yeah, it would be fun if the logistics of it could be sorted out.
Ah, yes, matchplay is exactly what I meant.
They call the same format a 'Masters' tournament in tenpin bowling. After quick browse of the US Mastsers article in wikipedia it appears as though it worked in a similar kind of fashion, but not really :dunce:

As for the logistics, how's this for a foundation?
~
Qualifying - Two rounds of stroke play to narrow the field down to an exponent of 2 ('supervised' - to be witnessed by another competitor, just like the inaugural AGGOT tournament - to prevent someone playing 10 solo rounds and submitting their best two cards), which can serve as an optional superfluous warm-up round in the unlikely event that the amount of entries for the tournament is an exponent of two.

Finals - The qualifiers to be drawn completely at random on the 'tree'. The rounds to be single-elimination matches of 18 holes, with the exception of the Grand Final, which is to be 36 holes (Two rounds of 18 holes).
A third place play-off for the losers of the semi-final matches to be played over either 9 or 18 holes - to be agreed upon by the two competitors prior to starting the match.

In the event of a tie at the end of the match, a tie breaker match of either 3 or 6 holes (to be decided upon by the organisers prior to the announcement of the tournament) is to be contested. In the event of a tie upon the completion of a tie breaker match, another tie-breaker match of the predetermined number of holes will be contested. This process is to be repeated until a winner emerges.
This method shall also be used in the unlikely event of a tie for the final qualifying position(s) at the end of the Qualifying stroke-play round.
~
This will be my signature until Dexter Bean qualifies for a NASCAR race. Keep chasing that dream...