Re: General motorcycle discussion

Post by Robbo »

+1 for the Iron 883.

Makes me wanna get back on a bike.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

As much fun as I am having in my WRX, i am having withdrawal symptoms...
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
pogo

Post by pogo »

This n00b decked out the peg-feelers today for the first time, w00t :woohoo:

(my next post might be from a hospital bed tho :p)

Feel for ya c.j. You planning on getting another bike soon or what?
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

cross plane R1 or a superbike ie rsv4 or 1198. But I wont be able to buy it for about 4 years. About to start an apprenticeship. Going back to shooting in 2014, new role new position. Doing a trade until then.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
Cetram

Post by Cetram »

c.j wrote:cross plane R1 or a superbike ie rsv4 or 1198. But I wont be able to buy it for about 4 years. About to start an apprenticeship. Going back to shooting in 2014, new role new position. Doing a trade until then.
I can't believe how cheap the RSV4 is, theres quite a few euro superbikes in the mid $20k range now.
You really think you can go 4 years without a bike? You'll snap before then :p
pogo

Post by pogo »

NetRider shit-fight, here and here.

:rolleyes: I rarely even visit the place these days, so over-moderated and populated by idiots... at least this place isn't over-moderated, huh :D
glitch_oz from SVDU wrote: If nothing else it's a great place for L+P platers to congregate....and saves other forums from most of the repetitive learners fluff/ Melbourne's commuter drivel etc etc
The high concentration of crap in one place is a blessing....and for that reason alone I hope they'll keep going.
Dan
Wobbly2.0

Post by Dan »

Wow, I havn't checked Netrider out in a few months... Seems like they're both just drama queens at the moment.

The one thing I found with Netrider, no matter how right you are... To someone with a post count of 5k+ You were always wrong lol
The Todd Norbury appreciation society
wild
Master artist
Master artist

Post by wild »

I got a new toy recently, my first bike! (well technically second, but I never actually got to ride my poor FZR250 before it died in a fire at Kawasaki Newcastle :()

Did a bit of a fixup thread on OCAU because it wasn't in the best shape when I bought it (only paid $2k though and the damage was only cosmetic) and I managed to lowside it a week after picking it up :( However, I reckon all the panels now fit together better than when I got it! And I just put a new tyre on the rear to boot.

Being only 125cc it is a little gutless sometimes, but it's good fun, easy to ride and very economical. Will suit me for a few months, and if I really want to have some fun, well, I can always borrow Crash Dummy's Aprilia RS125 2-smoker ;)
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

looks good wild, but with the angles it still looks the part of big boy racers
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
pogo

Post by pogo »

Good one wild :) J_luo has(/had?) one of them too.

How long 'til opens, any idea what you're gonna get?
wild
Master artist
Master artist

Post by wild »

Can go for my P's any time I want (but prolly won't go for a few weeks just to build up some more confidence), then it's just 12 months on my red P's and can jump straight to my opens (due to being over 25).

Been thinking about a second hand GSXR600 or ZX-6R, but there's a lot of really nice bikes in the 600ish-cc range, so I'm not really sure what I'll get yet...
J_luo88

Post by J_luo88 »

That's right goop, still plodding along on my cbr125r. Just had a service and it goes a lot better now.

I've been looking at GSXR600's and CBR600RR's atm. Looking for around the 07ish models. Looks like it's gonna cost around 10kish, but a little bit busy atm, so don't really have the time to go around and have a inspection.

Was the crash bad wild? Low speed? And how many kms did it have on it when you bought it?
wild
Master artist
Master artist

Post by wild »

I hit what I think was a patch of oil on the way to work one morning around a pretty wide corner and the thing just dropped on me at about 50-60km/h.. Damage to the bike was a few broken clips (which had already been broken and re-glued by the previous owner, easily fixed with some fibreglass), a few scratches and a bent gear lever. Fixed the broken clips myself and the rest of the cosmetic stuff can wait till I have the time and money to work on it.

Damage to me was just a graze on my hip and a big chunk of skin out of my knee, the latter being VERY sore. :P Just taught me the hard way to wear my armored dririder pants, even if it's not raining.

Had 9,550km when I bought it, got that up to about 10,300 already :P Went for a big ride today on the new rear tyre, and it's even more fun than when I first got it!
pogo

Post by pogo »

Sorry to hear about your off. I just bought a pair of draggins', recommended if you want something a little more stylish & wearable than the dririder pants.

Tyres make a huge difference, huh. I've just replaced my OEM Dunlops with some Michelins; Pilot Road 2 on the rear, and a Pilot Power on the front. It feels like a different bike :) I'm not fighting it into into corners, it'll pick the rear off the ground - the old front tyre would just skid - and my slidey-senses have yet to detect anything disconcerting - unlike the stockers :eyepop:

The other tyres were shagged though, and squared-off pretty bad, so that's probably part of it too.

Big chicken-strips still on these though - at least my old tyres were properly scuffed up!
wild
Master artist
Master artist

Post by wild »

I've heard draggins aren't much better than ordinary pants if you come off - the friction from the kevlar can be quite painful apparently! I'm using the bike as a commuter to work anyway, and need something I can throw over my work pants. The dririders are perfect for that.

And yeah, the bike feels completely different with a new tyre! The rear was still the stock tyre as far as i know, and it's now got a Pirelli Sport Demon - feels so much more comfortable and controlled leaning into corners. Prolly didn't help that my rear was also quite squared...
pogo

Post by pogo »

Fair enough. I can't comment personally on how well they perform in a slide - stay tuned though :p - but generally they seem to get a pretty good wrap, and anyway, they're bound to protect me a bit longer than the thin denim jeans I was wearing. I think leathers are ultimately the way to go, but of course it's just not practical to dress up like a power-ranger every time you go to the shops.

PS is that the one with the goofy angel/demon tread?
wild
Master artist
Master artist

Post by wild »

Yeah I might get a pair of draggins for runs to the shops. I'm not going full leathers just yet - I think that would look pretty silly on a CBR125. :p

And no, the one with the goofy tread is the Pirelli Angel ST.
Cetram

Post by Cetram »

+1 to draggins
I have a pair of draggin chinos, they look close enough to plain black business pants to get away with wearing to work, they are pretty heavy though so wearing them all day on a hot day is tough. I've heard about people getting kevlar burns on their legs from slides but I figure it can't be any worse than what the road surface would do...?
Good timing for the tyre talk :D , I found found a nail in my rear tyre the other day which looks to be in pretty deep (can see the head of it and maybe 2mm inside the tread groove) so i'm up for a new rear at least. OEM Dunlops on mine too, they still have heaps of rubber left but i've never really been able to get comfortable with them after 4500km. Wet grip has been pretty good but in the dry the grip on the outer edges doesn't really give me much confidence. I'm thinking about trying a set of Pilot Power 2ct to see if it improves.
Cetram

Post by Cetram »

[youtube] [/youtube]

:D
pogo

Post by pogo »

saw that a couple of days ago.... coooooool :yes: If necessary, pardon my silliness, but is it real?
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

unsure if it is real, but it is the same as the process as the small table.. you need to have smooth pull not a big huge pull then nothing
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
J_luo88

Post by J_luo88 »

Sorry to bring up a very old thread but i thought i might as well ask the question here.

I'm about to buy another bike, but the problem is that the seller won't provide rwc, so i'll need to get it myself. Guy seems genuine and his reason is because he doesn't have time. I told him that the sale is subject to me being able to get the rwc, so i think i've covered myself fairly well. I've also paid a deposit.

However, my question is this. The bike has a Yoshi Slip on and it as well as a fender eliminator. What i heard from my friend is that with these mods on it, it won't pass the rwc, is this true?
pogo

Post by pogo »

Dunno about the can, but I was reading a thread on NR today about a bloke in Victoria who was defected for a FE.

What bike Jlo? Link?
Cetram

Post by Cetram »

Some testing centres are much stricter than others with Fender eliminators and aftermarket cans. I got a bike tested and passed with cut down fender and aftermarket pipe without any trouble, but the pipe wasn't super loud. Most probably won't hassle you too much about the FE, if the pipes are really loud you may wanna swap them over or make your own baffle/jam some steel wool in just for the test.
J_luo88

Post by J_luo88 »

It's a Gixxer 600 =]

Where abouts did you get your one down Cet? Somewhere South East? And will putting steel wool in it damage it?