Sacrebleu - ees French!

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Sacrebleu - ees French!

Post by Exar Kun »

Picked up my new little beastie yesterday. Lots of kms but then again only cost $4800! Is a ripper of a thing. You can just keep on dialing on lock and it doesn't push. Need to tighten up the line a bit? Then just lift off a wait for the tail to come around. Engine is pretty peppy and full of character too. It's completely stock with a few little issues as you'd expect from a froggy car of this age but should be great as a second car that I might turn into a little project car some years down the track.

"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
thornz

Re: Sacrebleu - ees French!

Post by thornz »

Clio 172/sport or similar?

Had a mate who had a 172 and they handled amazingly! Could take corners at speeds you couldn't believe, he did quite a few track days in it as well, it certainly wiped the smiles off some WRX and EVO owners who thought they were untouchable through the corners, only to see a little Renault riding there bumper.

Cool cars!
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Yeah, 172 Sport. Cornering is unbelievable for the type of car. It just keeps on gripping.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Doso

Post by Doso »

Nice little cars, I've got a RS200 and yeah they are scary quick through the corners!

Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Awesome Mick, congrats!! Looks like a little ball of fun :)
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Thanks guys. :tilt:
Doso wrote:Nice little cars, I've got a RS200 and yeah they are scary quick through the corners!
I'd love an RS200. There was a FRB one with black wheels at the local dealer that looked awesome.
YnoT

Post by YnoT »

oh nice, how many kms does it have on the car?

I have been looking around the last week or so as well but still not sure what car to choose from
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

A French car in Australia is a rare thing isn't it?

Absolutely great fun those Clios. I've almost bought one twice.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Not exactly rare but certainly not common. There's usually 15 or so 172s up for sale in Australia at any one time. The Megane RS250s are getting popular because they're pretty awesome cars - finally with looks to match their performance. Renault do pretty badly outside of the hot hatch segment. Nobody really buys Pugs anymore (although the 508 looks pretty good so hopefully they get some sales on the back of that one) but Citreon have done okey. Moderate success with the C4 range. I'd say that, on the whole, French cars are about as popular as American cars here. Which is to say, not very, but not invisible either.
Doso

Post by Doso »

Exar Kun wrote:Not exactly rare but certainly not common. There's usually 15 or so 172s up for sale in Australia at any one time. The Megane RS250s are getting popular because they're pretty awesome cars - finally with looks to match their performance. Renault do pretty badly outside of the hot hatch segment. Nobody really buys Pugs anymore (although the 508 looks pretty good so hopefully they get some sales on the back of that one) but Citreon have done okey. Moderate success with the C4 range. I'd say that, on the whole, French cars are about as popular as American cars here. Which is to say, not very, but not invisible either.
Renault have actually double their sales from last year, they have been really aggressive with their new car launches & deals (increased there warranty period from 3->5 years, 2.9/3.9 finance deals & 3 years free servicing) on their regular cars

The Renault sport range has also been selling really strongly with a 3 month wait on RS 250!
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Well, 6 months down the track and I finally got out to a quick little drive day with a bunch of like minded people. A bit difficult to generate tyre temperature in Canberra at this time of year, however!

The French car has lived up to its reputation both in terms of fun and reliability... The speedo doesn't work anymore and I can't figure out why not so I'm getting good at judging speed from the tacho. It got its major service done in January which was pretty pricey but shouldn't need anything big for a few years now. Chucked some new tyres on the front (Michellin PS3s) which has improved turn in a heap. Besides that, I've started to actually get my soft hands dirty with a car for the first time in my life and have done a few little things to it like replace the battery, new bushes in an engine mount, some work on the strut tops, a new steering wheel, alloy footrest and a USB input for the stereo plus pulling the dash to pieces to try to find the problem with the speedo.

All in all I'm having a great time with the car despite the foibles. There's some knocking from the front end still so I'd like to put some solid strut tops on it and I'm also looking at some new wheels. Will keep them at 15" to keep price down and compliance up but something multi-spoke in a dark grey colour would be nice.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Sounds awesome Mick!

I really miss working on my car!!
Coopz
King of the Wierd
King of the Wierd

Post by Coopz »

Hehe lil' Froggies:)
norbs wrote:
Stop bullying him. You have more birthdays each year than he gets roots!
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

The new wheels have arrived! Now to find some time to get them fitted. Some Gordini stripes are on the way too for a few extra kW :D

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Sacrebleu - ees French!

Post by DexterPunk »

Nice!

I've been looking for something similar for my car in terms of colour and style. Are they Rota? How much they end up costing?

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Team Dynamics - $790 landed from Demon Tweeks in the UK. About $500 cheaper than I could find elsewhere.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Sacrebleu - ees French!

Post by DexterPunk »

Thanks! I'll google!

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

They'll look great, looking forward to seeing them on :)
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Exar, they are four wheels.

Getting in before Wobbles.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Exar, What about the tyres..

Getting in before he runs the car on the rims.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Sparks are pretty rad.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

You want to be like XXX and run a can on the railway track.. I can see it now.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

wobblysauce wrote:You want to be like XXX and run a can on the railway track.. I can see it now.
running a can.... awesome
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

dvestate wrote:
wobblysauce wrote:You want to be like XXX and run a can on the railway track.. I can see it now.
It's quite obviously a simple typo; I mean, the "R" key and the "N" key are so close together it's an easy mistake to make.
:teach:
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

VTRacing wrote:
dvestate wrote:
It's quite obviously a simple typo; I mean, the "R" key and the "N" key are so close together it's an easy mistake to make.
...because you car!

They look similar though, you have to admit it. The n is a bit like an r with a longer right leg. Or maybe the r is the one like half an n?
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?