Sacrebleu - ees French!

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Re: Sacrebleu - ees French!

Post by Exar Kun »

Well, I was back at Wakefield with the Renault guys yesterday and had a ball. Now I'm starting to really get a feel for the car on the limit. It actually means I was over driving a far bit, not unwinding the steering wheel when I should have and being a bit messy with lines. On the plus side, I had a shit load of fun with the car squirming all over the place. And squirming it was; tyres have done three track days now and are feeling like it and they're only road tyres to begin with. However, despite all that, I lopped 2.5 seconds off my previous PB to do a 1:16.5. I did a bunch of other laps in the 16s too and heaps in the 17s. VMax was about 155km/h. Brake fluid boiled once again but watchya gonna do? :D I had my first off track excursion too! All of about 20km/h... pretty lame. I thought the brakes have given up but I just overcooked it by a few metres into that corner. Next time round I managed to grab 4th instead of 2nd at the same corner (better than botching a gear change the other way around!).

"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Oh man that looks like fun.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

That looks like so much fun!!!
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Come up with your own lines Vil!!
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Vilante wrote:That looks like so much fun!!!
You've got the right car for it - come on down for the day. :) $120 (plus $50 for annual license) is an absolute bargain for a day on track.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Exar Kun wrote:
You've got the right car for it - come on down for the day. :) $120 (plus $50 for annual license) is an absolute bargain for a day on track.
Not sure if work's insurance would be up to it :)

I did drive through northern NSW and over the great dividing range a few weeks back and the car totally transformed on the switchbacks. In race mode it just pounced on the next corner with only a few hundred metres between each turn. Such a great little car.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Vilante wrote:
Exar Kun wrote:
Not sure if work's insurance would be up to it :)

I did drive through northern NSW and over the great dividing range a few weeks back and the car totally transformed on the switchbacks. In race mode it just pounced on the next corner with only a few hundred metres between each turn. Such a great little car.
Hehe - no insurance is up to it in this country. :) But then, who has to know? Lots of people remove / cover their plates for the day but I can see why you'd be reluctant to chance it.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Following brake temp dramas at the track days I've been to I decided to do something (cheap) about it - ghetto brake ducts!

First step is to remove fog lights to use the holes for the ducts.

Wheel arch liners obviously have to come out too...

Which shows the next problem as driver's side has carbon catch can...

And passenger's side has the horns...

So, no elegant solutions here - just bent them out of the way (needed to remove a bolt at front of carbon catch but horns are fine):

Next step was to remove the fog lights surrounds and duct tape (how apt!) some brake ducting to them around the fog light hole.

Into place they go:

Need to cut a hole in the wheel arch liners. Unfortunately I didn't get quite enough length of ducting so cable ties to the rescue! (far from the first thing to be held together with cable ties on this car :D)

And all back together.

I don't know how much effect it'll actually have, but who cares? Race car! :D
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Awesome :) im sure the effect will be big enough to warrant the job done.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Because racecar
Hello :aussie:
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Love the Tricolore in your grill Mick, that's a classy touch.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

You may wish to put a small grill in front of the opening... Even if you take them out when you get to the track...
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
Cutter
Legend in his own lunchtime
Legend in his own lunchtime

Post by Cutter »

C'mon Mick, who do you know with a 3D printer?
Maybe ARSE vents... so wish I hadn't said that....
Maybe a fleur-de-lis
Cutter ~ Carl Rickard

Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Another track day under my belt at Wakefield and another PB yay. The lap below is a 1:15.89 and I followed that up with a 1:16.1 which as you'll see should have been the quicker if it weren't for running way wide at T2 and then again at the Fishhook. And for some reason I kept forgetting where 3rd gear was on the way into T2.

The day started out pretty slippery so I got a nice feel for lift off oversteer! :D The brakes are pretty much done now so I'll chuck on some new ones before my next day in September. Tyres are also on the way out. I might actually start playing with tyre pressures now that I'm pretty comfortable with how the car handles. I don't know if I'll be able to go much quicker but it's been good to chip away each time so far. In three days I've gone from a high 19 to high 16 to high 15. I've had a professional driver jump in the passenger seat each time and it's amazing how much confidence they bring. I had Racechrono hooked up to a bluetooth GPS receiver so got some good data. Still wildly inconsisten - fastest on the straight was 160km/h and the 1:15 I only hit 147km/h. Then again, there's probably still a reasonable margin of error in the GPS. Overall huge fun! :D

We had a JDM crowd this time to prop up numbers - result: one S2000 in the wall and lots of big moments from big turbo Supras. A few out there for their first time too so I caught a GT-R and a WRX without too much trouble! They weren't the kind of people to be nice and let me past on the straights. however...
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

I dare say pride was why they didn't want to let you pass haha. The only part they can beat you is on the straight haha. Looks good man I'm pretty jealous haha
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Looking good.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Another Wakefield Day! I grabbed some spare wheels with a plan to put track tyres on them. Unfortunately I ran out of time and funds to make that happen so ran the crappy tyres that were still on the rims. That's going to be my excuse for this happening anyway... :D

bengatta

Post by bengatta »

You may wish to think up a better excuse... :)
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Surely you're not suggesting it was anything to do with a lack of talent?!! :)

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

THE BACK IS COMING AROUND! :)

So much dirt!
bengatta

Post by bengatta »

Exar Kun wrote:Surely you're not suggesting it was anything to do with a lack of talent?!! :)

If you're gunna play with the big boys, you may as well quote from the standard list in the excuses book...

Clearly you were giving the girl in the other Clio on the inside at turn 1 enough racing room, then staying wide you finally got ahead through 3 then the bitch punted you on turn 4 entry... :)

Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Definitely got nudged haha. Never managed to push hard enough around the track to spin out, the walls looked way to daunting at mallala lol
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Checked out the GPS data. 113km/h I lost it at. Which is about 10km/h faster than I went through there on my fastest lap. One of the other guys rolled his car doing the same thing a couple of years back so that was pretty much the only thing on my mind as the car was sliding sideways.

r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Did it ever go through your mind that it might dig in and tip over?

Not sure I could take my daily driver to a track day. I'd still manage to mangle it even if I never left pit lane.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Thoughts on an 02 Clio for a first car? Would it be to expensive to maintain or is it much like any other car? Daughter is looking at one. 125k on the clock.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
--------------
Stu