Classic ford - 51 custom

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
Jiminee

Re: Classic ford - 51 custom

Post by Jiminee »

Any chance of it making an appearance at the Uraidla Hot Rod picnic on December 1?
XLV SPORT
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

Well done on the rego!!
balls & boobs. . .
Speed

Post by Speed »

Will be awesome to cruise in once you get the bugs sorted. Well done on the rego. :yes:
http://500px.com/Warren_Joyce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Jiminee wrote:Any chance of it making an appearance at the Uraidla Hot Rod picnic on December 1?
At this stage I'm unsure, there are a few runs I'd like to do over the next few months but it's just gonna come down to how quickly I can get it reliable. I'm meant to run it in a cruise for the Adelaide rock and roll weekender in a fortnight. That's still very doubtful, I need to rebuild my carby prior to that and also sort out the electrical demons. But If I have it anywhere I'll certainly post here prior to the event.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Some say faults, other say it is just character building.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

wobblysauce wrote:Some say faults, other say it is just character building.
I said neither
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Took her out for a cruise today, no problems this time, thoroughly enjoyed it. Still didn't stray too far from home.

Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Thought I'd post a little update:-

I've had her out for quite a few runs of late as I am bit by bit knocking the problems on the Head. After trialling a few things, I finally found the problem which was causing her to run a little shitty. Initially I thought it was plugs but after replacing all them it came down to one contact point on a lead in to the distributor. Once all cleaned up she was great.

I was still having issues with the Starter though. The Car had been 12V converted except it was still running a 6v Starter. She was pulling way too much current and heating up super quick, so basically, if the car didn't fire within the 1st couple of cranks (which old cars rarely do when cold), the starter just died and took about another 20 minutes before she'd go again. Great when you're out and about. So I sent it off to get recon'd and converted to 12v. Worked a treat and has plenty of guts to kick her over every time. Also had some clutch issues, well, clutch pedal issues, the adjustment rod underneath kept on working it's way loose. A Locknut solved that problem.

So took her on her 1st organized cruise last Friday night for part of Adelaides Rock & Roll festival. From the photo's it doesn't look it but there were about 40 odd cars on the night. Pretty shitty turnout but it rained all bloody day and obviously put a lot of people off.

After that, I went and caught up with a guy who owns a 2 door '51, awesome looking thing slammed to the ground running a 302. Chatted for hours and he was actually nice enough to give me quite a few bits and pieces for the car. He gave me a new chrome strip for my rear drivers side door. Previously it was running a makeshift piece of chrome that didn't match anything else on the car and was siliconed on.. lol

He also gave me the proper Ford insert for my steering wheel. Previously it had a home made piece of wood thrown in there. It caused me all sorts of nightmares because the Horn ring on the wheel had been welded together by someone and they never bothered about cleaning anything up as they just made the wooden cover to suit. However to fit the original plate back in, the welding had to ground back a considerable amount. It took about an hour of dremmelling and about 10 cutting blades to get it right lol.

but here's the end result

And tonight I just bought this set of Whitewalls, so i'll be getting them put on Saturday morning.

With any luck i'll be getting her lowered in the next 3 weeks, then I need to wait for the Spats to arrive from the US, and i'll start being happy with the look... lol.

Taking her out on the Yankalilla Car Cruise this Sunday, that should be a pretty big showing and hopefully she'll make it up and down the hills. If she makes it there and back I'll be pretty confident to take her to Uradlia
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

I booked my time off for Uraidla this week so I'm planning on being there to!
Great looking car, certainly not something you see often.
Is it Flathead powered?
XLV SPORT
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

She's a beauty Herz! Love the split screen and the white walls will look awesome!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
eek
Speed

Post by Speed »

Sounds like it's coming along nicely.
Looking forward to seeing it lowered with the whitewalls.
http://500px.com/Warren_Joyce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Cheers guys, yeah she's a flathead
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Looking awesome dude. Nice to get it out and seen too.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Love it so much.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Whitewalls on, oh yeah

pab

Post by pab »

:yes:

So where did you get the whitewalls from?
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

pab wrote::yes:

So where did you get the whitewalls from?
Got them off a guy who had bought them for a car he had, then sold the car before he put them on. Brand New, got them about $400 cheaper.

Well unfortunately when they put the whitewalls on they also managed to rip off a flexi hose for my brake line. Which wasn't a huge problem until we also noticed right next to that the brake line had also been crimped from what looks like an decent little impact. That looked like it had been like that for a while. So, she's off the road for the weekend... dammit.
pab

Post by pab »

:(

But good job on getting the whitewalls cheap, they cost a fortune!
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Oh, as you can see in that pic, I got Custom plates on too.

and here's where she is staying for a couple of nights.. lol
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

To clean the whitewalls use mr sheen, my mate has them on his car and cleans up easy with that
Hello :aussie:
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Shaun wrote:To clean the whitewalls use mr sheen, my mate has them on his car and cleans up easy with that
Really? I've been told to Keep away from anything like that. Does your mate have paint on's or real whitewalls? There is a product called "Whitewall Clean up" and according to the nuts, its the only thing worth touching. Mind you, the nuts may all have shares in the company.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

His are the ones that you deflate the wheels a bit to put in, not painted on. Seen him clean it with that on several occasions and he has had them for ages in 2 different sizes too
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Ah Cool, Dunno if they are different to the actual real ones or not. Think I'll play it safe with the Whitewall Cleaner though.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

probably worth it, do yours clip on under the rim where it meets the tyre or how do they sit on?
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

They are real whitewalls, as in the actual sidewall of the tyre is white rubber