New car time! Advice please!

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

New car time! Advice please!

Post by Hz-Lab »

We're looking to downsize from the pajero as soon I'll have a dual cab 4wd for a company vehicle so don't really need 2 monsters in the drive. After selling the paj we estimate we'll have around 15k cash after paying out the remainder of the loan.

We need something with a decent payload as we often do markets and need to carry a bit of stock around. So a wagon or hatch with decent boot space is what we are looking out.

So, do we buy something 2nd hand, I've been looking at A4 wagons and Passat wagons, or do we buy something Korean but brand new!

We do have the ability to raise the budget to 20k but would prefer not to as this will really just be used for my missus's commuter. Any big trips we'll take the 4wd.

Any suggestions???? Reviews? Thoughts? We're also thinking Mondeo wagon.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Re: New car time! Advice please!

Post by DexterPunk »

Scooby wagon or hatch? I'm biased :)
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

DexterPunk wrote:Scooby wagon or hatch? I'm biased :)
He said he wanted boot space...

If it came to wagons, you'd be silly to skip over a Mondeo for bang for buck wouldn't you? The Passat's would be out of your price range unless they're '07-'09 but Mondeo's in '10-'11's for that price.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Few passatts around with '10 '11 plates for 15
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

You'd get a 2010 Commy sv6 sportswagon for that money...
I've got a 2011, series 2. Great car.
Steve
---
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Commys are out.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

This is a Ford man people :)

What about a Clio RS with a little trailer? ;)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Well apparently a suburb wagon or hatch doesn't have enough room. So I suppose a Clio wouldn't either.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

DexterPunk wrote:Well apparently a suburb wagon or hatch doesn't have enough room. So I suppose a Clio wouldn't either.
I was kidding Dex, hence the trailer comment :lol:
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

No subies, no commys. Ladies rules. Personally I really like the sportswagons and would own one
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Vilante wrote:
DexterPunk wrote:Well apparently a suburb wagon or hatch doesn't have enough room. So I suppose a Clio wouldn't either.
I figured it wasn't serious. But 'suburb' was an accident... Seems like a fitting nick name though with their distinctive burble.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

DexterPunk wrote:
Vilante wrote:
I figured it wasn't serious. But 'suburb' was an accident... Seems like a fitting nick name though with their distinctive burble.
haha, the marketing people would have trouble with the Suburb all wheel drive adventure wagon :)
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Just be lazy and get an BF wagon ex-taxi with 800+ks on the clock.. Duel fuel, super cheap to run.

Mine drives like a dream, even better then ones with a lot lower kms. Even after hitting 15 or so wildlife since the new year.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

:eyepop:
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

DexterPunk wrote::eyepop:

:banana_rasta:
SE1Z

Re: RE: Re: New car time! Advice please!

Post by SE1Z »

wobblysauce wrote:Just be lazy and get an BF wagon ex-taxi with 800+ks on the clock.. Duel fuel, super cheap to run.

Mine drives like a dream, even better then ones with a lot lower kms. Even after hitting 15 or so wildlife since the new year.
So... You have the only Falcon BF wagon in existence?
[WHITE SMILING FACE]

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Steve
---
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

What is a Wobbly comment for $200.

:D
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

:munch:

Which part?
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Boot space you say?

w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Ssanyong Stavic
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

Using the description provided for intended purpose, and a chick car... Have you looked at any Mazda 6 wagons...

Because I spend 25-30% of the year travelling, I get to rent many cars, i work on the theory of taking what they offer and have some fun with it... Try new stuff.

Anything Toyota, or Mazda have been quite cool, especially because at first glance I would probably give them a try...

The volkswagens have been a bit hit and miss... The only Audi I got was terrible... In fact the only euro car I have rented that sort of was ok was a Skoda many years ago... The rest have been average at best, I suspect because for a rental company they are going to buy budget back so a bottom dwelling BMW is not worth a pinch of shit...

There are no mid sized wagons in the Toyota range, although I handed back a hybrid Camry last night that served me well in the last 3 days... Great car to drive around a city... Not sure what it would be like on a freeway though... Mazda do have that mid sized wagon that might be worth a lap,around the block in...

You could use your panel van though, or did you ditch that? :)
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

Enforcer-J wrote:Boot space you say?

I never understood why the mafia did not take these on as the company car of choice... :)

We used the engine from one in a class 1 off road buggy in the late 80's when I had a crack at that for a short time, before I realised I'd like to still be walking later in life... Can confirm they had enough power output... Some days the front wheels would touch the ground...
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Nothing brand new will come in at $15k that has decent space (except a demo Honda Jazz if you're happy to drive around with the back seats pulled out).

I would say:
- Mondeo
- Octavia
- Passat
- Mazda 6

Octavia has a massive boot and epic space once you fold the seats down and it's well equipped - you just need to get over the looks. Can it be manual? If so that'd be the way to go with the Skoda. Passat didn't come in manual so you'll have potential DSG issues to worry about. Mondeo is pretty big too but not up to the interior quality of the Passat or Octavia. I've never liked the Mazda 6's engine but besides that it's a great drive. By far the smallest amount of space here though.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Ended up with a brand new Suzuki swift sport. It's a damn fun car, bit smaller than we originally wanted but after a long decision making process , it made sense for the missus as she travels in the city daily .
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Nice! I wanted a Swift Sport as the second car, but couldn't justify the extra cost over the Kia Rio SLi (UB MY12). In the end I can't complain because it's a cheap car to run, I think it looks great and it goes ok (103kw 1.6L NA). However, it could do with an LSD...