Varying power

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Varying power

Post by DexterPunk »

I've been meaning to ask this for a while. I'm fairly sure this is probably some kind of weird placebo effect. But I was wondering if some of the more mechanically minded could confirm this or perhaps it's a thing. I know a car can feel a bit more powerful when it's cold outside. Makes sense that the more dense air burns better when it mixes with the fuel. But I often feel like I have a bit more go after just putting in a fresh tank of petrol.

If I'm right, fuel can deteriorate with time. But I wouldn't think it would happen in a week.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: Varying power

Post by norbs »

If anything, I would have thought the car would be slightly slower due to more weight.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah that's what I would think too.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I'm actually wondering if I've gotten slightly poor fuel before and it's effected power. New lot being better?

Or perhaps I'm imaging it all.
petey

Post by petey »

The only way standard pump fuel will affect a standard car is through detonation/knock sensors. There is minimal if any difference between 91-98ron pump fuel in regards to power output.

Realistically I think Norbs is spot on that a full tank will generally make you moderately slower simply due to extra weight. In regards to getting bad fuel, while that is possible - in modern petrol cars you would be unlikely to see a big decrease purely from bad fuel. If you were then it's likely a blocked fuel filter or something to that effect which would not be improved by a fresh tank.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Maybe too many fumes while filling up?
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

petey wrote:The only way standard pump fuel will affect a standard car is through detonation/knock sensors. There is minimal if any difference between 91-98ron pump fuel in regards to power output.

Realistically I think Norbs is spot on that a full tank will generally make you moderately slower simply due to extra weight. In regards to getting bad fuel, while that is possible - in modern petrol cars you would be unlikely to see a big decrease purely from bad fuel. If you were then it's likely a blocked fuel filter or something to that effect which would not be improved by a fresh tank.
Cheers. I figured the difference wasn't really there. have just wondered for a while. I always assumed like norbs said, that extra weight would reduce performance slightly. Occasionally felt like the opposite was happening.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

You can see how much weight effects performance in motorsport. An extra 80 kilos would have to effect performance more than deteriorated fuel. It would sit around a hell of lot longer then it would going from full to empty in your tank anyway.
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

A full tank would be worth an extra passenger in weight. Is that noticeable?
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
Speed

Post by Speed »

plastik8 wrote:A full tank would be worth an extra passenger in weight. Is that noticeable?
If you are giving it some wellie, the weight of an extra passenger is very noticeable. I remember being amazed at how shit my old VP Clubsport felt when I had my brother in with me.

I keep any unused kart fuel (98 ron pump fuel), in a sealed container for up to 3 weeks before it gets relegated to the lawn mower.

I also remember, back when I was a lad and had an RG-500 Suzuki how much more mental it became on a chilly night. :)
http://500px.com/Warren_Joyce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;