Another car advise thread

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Another car advise thread

Post by DexterPunk »

Not for myself. My mum is looking at a new car and has been recently looking at the Mazda CX-3. Anyone had any experience with them? Opinions?

Basically she wants something that can fit a baby seat in the back, 4 doors preferably, and not too big. CX-3 is probably about the biggest she's willing to go. Fiesta/polo/swift size may be a bit on the small side she thinks.

The CX-3 has the added bonus of being off road capable (to a point) which is handy since our cousin has a block of land we go to that requires a 4x4 to get into. Not essential, as we generally get a lift in from one of the other crew otherwise, but handy. Any other recommendations in that crossover (small 4x4/SUV) range that would be worth a look?

Thanks guys.
richo

Re: Another car advise thread

Post by richo »

I have a Mazda 3 and it's a fantastic little car so I couldn't imagine the CX-3 being a lot different. I also have a Dualis and it's been a good car just not fond of the CVT transmission it's like driving a Postie Bike :)
[]D [] []v[] []D
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

What transmission do you have in the Mazda 3? She's always had a manual, but considering going auto as she's getting a bit older.
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

Yeh... I wouldn't take it off road.
Dirt road would be it's limit.
Steve
---
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Why is that SE1Z?
richo

Post by richo »

Auto in the Maz3 and it's a very nice smooth shifting one at that. I would prefer a manual but at the time It was "teach" the daughter how to drive.
[]D [] []v[] []D
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

CX-3 is about the same size as a Mazda 2 internally - they just ride higher. Good cars though. Quite stylish. If you're after space and practically in the small soft-roader class then look at the Honda HRV.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

What about the Subaru XV? Its a jacked up Impreza, just like the Outback is a jacked up Liberty. Probably has a better AWD system than the CX-3, not sure about anything else. ;)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Forgot to post back here. Thanks for all the advise guys. I did pass it on. Most appreciated. I went along with her to test drive a CX3. in my opinion, it felt gutless. But that may be because it was an auto, and there were three of us in the car.

After closer inspection it seems the ride height is now higher than a Mazda 3. I don't really get how that happens, but that's how it is.

You can also get a spec'd up SP25 GT for cheaper than a not so top of the range cx3. They seem to be a bit pricey for what they are. At least for the moment.

She's back to looking at hatches for now, and probably more confused that ever.