New Beast (now Toyota 86 discussion)

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Re: New Beast (now Toyota 86 discussion)

Post by DexterPunk »

Yep. I'm not in a rush. And having a blast with the car for now anyway. There are tunes around for the 2017. Shiv has been sending them to people, they just aren't official yet or on the site for download. So at least they are being worked on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
crimespree

Post by crimespree »

So how goes the cars you two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

crimespree wrote:So how goes the cars you two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I only just noticed this was here.

Mine's going great 11,000km and almost a year into ownership. Absolutely love it.

Photograph I took at the start of the year...

A member of the Vic 86 / BRZ club has been doing some pretty decent times around Phillip Island with basic mods.
Doing a pretty good job of keeping up with a 2018 Porsche 991.2 in this vid.

richo

Post by richo »

I'm in the market for a new car later this year , been eyeing off an 86/BRZ as there is very little alternative in the RWD market that isn't made in Europe . Do we know yet if the 86/BRZ are getting a face lift for 2019 or a totally new car?
[]D [] []v[] []D
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

It looks like a larger engine version is coming, but I’m not sure how confirmed it is.

https://www.carshowroom.com.au/news/big ... ubaru-brz/

I’m a bit worried that they may take away the manual transmission as an option to include some of the safety features. I know that was the case with the Impreza.

But you’re right, there’s not a lot out there that competes with it. When my deal looked like it might fall through, I started looking elsewhere for an alternative and there really isn’t a lot of options. MX5 is really the only other car like it, and there’s no way I’d have been able to pack an esky and camping gear in one of those.

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I've only ever heard about the new supra, which is supposed to debut next year (but will it happen?).

by the way my car is garaged, mostly, I had little time and no-one to go to track with, that with my bloody motion sickness and I just didn't go. I love the car, but I hate my motion sickness.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

The car looks real good in that pic Dex.

Another article on that site has the 2018 86's getting a performance kit that looks very similar to what Dex got with his BRZ
https://www.carshowroom.com.au/news/toy ... kit-added/

It's interesting they're going for a higher capacity motor, I suppose it will be the same block with just a bigger bore. That should give a nice increase in performance but they really don't seem to want to go for the turbo that just about everyone wants.

I haven't really done anything to my car recently, the rain's stopped so I might take it to the track again soon but the setup they have here doesn't really suit. I wish they had regular track days but they only have these lap sprints and the number of laps you can do is quite limited.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Sarsippius wrote: It's interesting they're going for a higher capacity motor, I suppose it will be the same block with just a bigger bore.
Soesn't it sound like the Subaru 2.4L engine they put in later cars?
Sarsippius wrote: That should give a nice increase in performance but they really don't seem to want to go for the turbo that just about everyone wants.
I don't think they will. The rumours about the new Supra seem to indicate they want to fill the gap with that car instead. A cheap turbo 86 would just about ruin it for them in my opinion.
Having said that, for about $10-$15k anyone can put a turbo or a supercharger on their car.

Oh and that pic looks fantastic, indeed!
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

ysu wrote:
Sarsippius wrote: It's interesting they're going for a higher capacity motor, I suppose it will be the same block with just a bigger bore.
Soesn't it sound like the Subaru 2.4L engine they put in later cars?
I don't really know but it looks like that engine is a variant of the same engine, at least judging by this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_FA_engine
ysu wrote:
Sarsippius wrote: That should give a nice increase in performance but they really don't seem to want to go for the turbo that just about everyone wants.
I don't think they will. The rumours about the new Supra seem to indicate they want to fill the gap with that car instead. A cheap turbo 86 would just about ruin it for them in my opinion.
Having said that, for about $10-$15k anyone can put a turbo or a supercharger on their car.
Yeah I don't think they will either, I could see it possibly as like a last hurrah, like when they discontinue the cars doing a final special version or something but even that would be unlikely given all the extra engineering that would be required to not only the motor but all the running gear.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Sarsippius wrote:The car looks real good in that pic Dex.

Another article on that site has the 2018 86's getting a performance kit that looks very similar to what Dex got with his BRZ
https://www.carshowroom.com.au/news/toy ... kit-added/
Cheers.

Yeah the 2018 is basically the same as what I have I believe. Except they get an updated head unit with GPS (adroid auto / carplay) which I'd love. Need to find a wrecked 2018 car somewhere, or someone selling off their stock head unit.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Mine has an upgraded head unit - but it only does apple. The speakers are crappola anyway, and the head unit is touchscreen - yuck. I'm just listening to engine noise, and have a holder for the phone, that's it.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I had about $4,000 or so spent on my last car's stereo system. I just don't blast music like I used to. I'm usually happy enough with the standard speakers if I want to listen to sometimes. My good audio system is at home these days. And you're right, I'd probably rather listen to the engine anyway. I would like Apple Carplay though.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I'm a bit ignorant about Android Auto and Carplay, from memory I spent about $500 for some good splits and a decent Alpine headunit. I really only wanted good sound quality, hands free with a good mic and to be able to plug in a usb for music.

It's not a bad idea to keep an eye out for those who might sell the stock unit, I sold mine to some guy, I think he had a Rav 4 or it might have been a Landcruiser and it was basically a drop in, he wanted the satnav.

In this car I'd say you're getting more road noise than engine noise ;)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I still have my piped induction noise hooked up. I don't know why people don't like it... A bit artificial I suppose? I quite like listening to it.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Yeah actually I plugged mine up so I guess I don't get the engine noise so much anymore. I didn't mind it either but the wife wasn't real happy when I put on the UEL manifold, so I plugged up the hole in an effort to minimise the sound.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I've got mine still attached, too. Plus the changed header, and the engine note is quite nice. :)
But then mine are not UEL, heh.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Supra specs / price announced. Bit rich I reckon.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/detroi ... yota-supra
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Thanks! I don't see the price mentioned in the article, but it was always going to be a lot more expensive compared to the 86 (twice-ish, IIRC?)
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

You can look at it as an expensive Toyota or as a cheap BMW

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

ysu wrote:Thanks! I don't see the price mentioned in the article, but it was always going to be a lot more expensive compared to the 86 (twice-ish, IIRC?)

I saw £54,000 somewhere this morning. Which seems crazy. Then a quick search I saw just under $50k USD. There's a big difference there, so not sure which is true. Around $70k AUD makes a hell of a lot more sense than near $100k though.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Hm....seems more info is coming up on reddit
And info on Toyota.com as well: https://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicle ... ce-section

Edit; some pricing here, it'll not be cheap if this is true, starting at £52,695 - and there are 3 models!
https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/ ... ota/supra/
More lower: "Toyota says 300 out of the first 900 that are bound for Europe are coming to the UK, with a price tag of £52,695. It's £54,000 for the Pro variant and £56,945 for the ultra-limited A90 Edition"
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah that's what I originally saw this morning. Which seems excessive. Getting up near a Porsche Cayman price, and I know which I'd rather.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Are you sure? I reckon a porker will set you back a good $200k new, this one should be around the $100k mark. But we'll see when it lands. Having said that, I don't think I'll go this direction with my next car. I'd probably consider it if it was around $80k.
(I maybe wrong here, I've never really looked into porkers, not my car type somehow)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Standard Cayman in manual is $115,000 (at least it was last year). I’m sure you could get one for closer to $100k near new condition etc. The Supra is likely to have a premium added onto it while it’s hard to get as well.

The Porsche is no doubt more expensive, but it’s not that far off if you’re in that ball park. I’m nowhere near it myself.

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Wow, ok, I did not know that. Really interesting.