New Beast (now Toyota 86 discussion)

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
crimespree

Re: New Beast (now Toyota 86 discussion)

Post by crimespree »

ysu wrote:
Sarsippius wrote:This is a good description of the Winmax range, I guess with your tyres you're probably pushing the pads a bit more than I do. Do you still get into the ABS with those tyres?

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68486
Thanks!
Yes, I think you'd need some really awesome slicks to not get ABS at all :) (if it's even possible!) This is but a semi slick.
I had 4 laps on 255 Hoosiers last weekend, still easy to get into ABS :)
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Well, I was on these shitty pads a couple of weeks back, I was able to go no-ABS...it wasn't good, though. :D
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
crimespree

Post by crimespree »

Strange, many have knocked out impressive times here with the A1RMs. EC must be a lot more demanding on brakes (makes sense) if they did bed correctly
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

The ABS really kinda puts me off, mainly T1 after the long straight at Hidden Valley once I start turning in. You might notice in the video I end up coasting quite a bit but I guess it's something you get used to. Some comments from CSG Mike over at ft86 he says you need to learn to brake at the threshold before ABS kicks in. Do you guys get that kinda shuddering at the front when it activates?
crimespree

Post by crimespree »

Sarsippius wrote:The ABS really kinda puts me off, mainly T1 after the long straight at Hidden Valley once I start turning in. You might notice in the video I end up coasting quite a bit but I guess it's something you get used to. Some comments from CSG Mike over at ft86 he says you need to learn to brake at the threshold before ABS kicks in. Do you guys get that kinda shuddering at the front when it activates?
What tyres are you rubbing? Factory tyres give that feeling. Yeah you need to peel back on pedal if you feel that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

crimespree wrote:Strange, many have knocked out impressive times here with the A1RMs. EC must be a lot more demanding on brakes (makes sense) if they did bed correctly
Could be that I've botched the bedding. I'll look around what can be done to fix it (if anything). Bedding on the track isn't quite the same as doing it in the backstreets here.

ABS: it does not bother me too much. I'm trying to keep myself to threshold brake, sometimes I even manage it, and that's good, but it takes practice to know exactly how much force you can expect at which part of the track. It also takes experience (a few track days) to be comfortable driving at speed and being able to watch everything; traffic & car as well as the track itself. :)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

So two months ago (a little more than) I had a meeting with Subaru, and told them I was no longer going to lease the car as I didn't like the fact that you couldn't sell the car and use those funds to pay out the lease. I told them I'd just be taking out a loan. They discussed finance options with me which I was open to. They actually long played the whole finance aspect and wouldn't give me any numbers (fee's, interest rates, etc) until the car was near pickup date as they said their rates can change month to month. That was fine, I wasn't in a huge rush anyway. The car arrived not long back and looked like a pick up this week, and finally they gave me some numbers to look at. The only thing I didn't like with their deal was that they had an early exit fee. So you couldn't pay out the loan quicker. Also I'd rather a 7 year loan that I could choose to pay out in 5. The flexibility wasn't there compared to others.

Anyway, I ended up going with Beyond Bank. They gave me a good rate, and flexibility to pay it out as I like. After Beyond contacted Subaru, I get a call from the Dealership them this morning telling me I need to pay $1500 more for the car, because I was no longer doing the novated lease. Something they had known about for more than two months. To me it seems less about the novated lease, and more about the fact that I'm not using them for finance. Either way I told them I'm not paying it. And that I'm walking. On principal alone, fuck them. I waited months for this car, and they had ample time to tell me that we'd have to re-negotiate the price. I'm so bloody pissed off right now. And disappointed.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Wow.
That dealership has tried to make their profit on the financing it seems.
Not a good business practice and kudos for you walking off.

Very sneaky of them to try and put an extra on it - but you walking means they can now sell that car to the next victim for whatever they can get for it. They won't mind it I'm sure.

It's a shame that now you've nothing to show for all that wait and running around.
But really, fuck them for wasting your time.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Cheers. I just don't know how to feel right now.

I started looking at MX5 RF's. But i'm just feeling a bit over it all.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

See...that's one more reason I like to go and buy a 1-2 yo car instead. No bs. Barely used.
The other reason is the saving of ~30% on the spot.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

If it all falls through then I think that's what I'll be doing. They just tried to call me (6pm) I'm out having a beer with a mate, so they can fuck off till tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Being a Subaru guy for years, I can recommend the current Commodore. My SSV Redline Sportwagon handles way better than either my Impreza or modified Liberty ever did and it's a crap load faster in a straight line.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

For straight line get an xr6 turbo, in my opinion. But for handling none of these big hunks can beat the 86 :) I know, they've tried me on the track, hehe. This thing beats everything in corners, except mx5's - and sport/super cars that cars cost 3-4 times at least. (I'm talking about stock)
It's a simple, but pretty well designed cheap sports car.

Interestingly, you can create a similarly fast car out of a gutted civic. I've seen one. :D Much hassles, though.

The best moments are when people come over to you in the pits to have a look at what's under the bonnet, then look totally baffled when they realise there's nothing special there. People with much tweaked sylvias, or 700HP monster-spec falcodores... hehe
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Not really interested in straight line performance. Breaking and cornering all the way for me.

My loan just got approved for around $37,000. So if Subaru don't come to the party, what do you all suggest? MX5? Toyota 86 doesn't seem to have the equiv interior, and I'm sure I wouldn't get the same deal on the wheels and brembos.

AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Do you want brand new and RWD? If you do, there aren't a lot of options.

If not, there are a lot of great hot hatches to choose from.

PS I was never a fan of commodores, that was until I test drove the latest. They aren't all about speed, that's for sure. I'd recommend taking one out for a test drive, even if it's just for the LOL's. Just make sure it's the SSV Redline, as the brakes and suspension of the others aren't up to the task.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Are you interested in a Clio RS or 208 Gti?
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Abarth 124 Spider

--------------
Stu
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Bauer wrote:Abarth 124 Spider

:nod:

Great looking car this one. Not sure how much of a premium it is over the MX5.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I was looking at the Clios initially. The Golf GTI as well. I was originally going to go a hatch.

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

It doesn't look as if the Renault can be bought in a manual anymore. :(

I really don't find an auto/flappy paddles as engaging. It's quite annoying to have to possibly go through all this again after finding the right car for me.

Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

To be honest I could hardly believe the deal you were getting with that sports pack. I understand you're pissed off and have a right to be but I'd try and be pragmatic about it. Say you fork out an extra $1k, I'd still call that a good deal so if it's the car you want and it checks off all the boxes then I'd see what they come back with. They're in a bit of a bind now with a car that's specced that might not be so easy to get rid of. For the moment you're still the closest thing they've got to a sale so I'd play the game and see what you can get.

I'm probably biased, there are many great cars out there but none will give you what this car does so if that's what you want there are very few options out there. An MX5 or S2000 are probably it without having to spend a lot more money.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah it's true. The deal still isn't bad. But to change the goal posts this late in the process is just shitty. They offered an extra 3 years warranty on the car for $1100 before all this went down, and I said I'd consider it. If thats a manufacturer extension and not just a dealer extension then I'd be happy to pay for that, and they get some margin back. It may be a compromise they are willing to go with.

Bauer

Post by Bauer »

AstrO wrote:
Bauer wrote:Abarth 124 Spider

:nod:

Great looking car this one. Not sure how much of a premium it is over the MX5.
It isn't. When comparing apples with as close to apples as you can get, they are priced the same. You can get a cheaper MX5 as well as pay more (RF) for an MX5.

--------------
Stu
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

The RF is pretty damn sweet I reckon.

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Sarsi raised a very good point; the deal, all in all, even with an extra $1.5k on top is as good as it can get. So if this is the car you want, maybe play the game, indeed.
I reckon this car is the best in the category, an Mx5 or Abarth - let alone the hatches - won't be as good. (I've got friends with mx5s & an RS Golf, they're not bad but...) In my very personal optinion, this car looks & performs best among these. Driving position is perfect, etc...it's the beez neez!

And you are correct, you won't get this package at Toyota. But you can upgrade the parts if you like to get your hands dirty, it can be part of the fun :) But it won't come as cheap, I reckon, as this deal.