New Beast (now Toyota 86 discussion)

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Re: New Beast (now Toyota 86 discussion)

Post by ysu »

I've put it on today, and it seems very nice - but of course I can't really tell the any performance difference. A more or less scientific measurement will be when I visit the drags - hopefully within a few weeks, but not sure yet.
One thing is that the car seems to sound nicer.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Is it the 8th of August yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Well I hit a snag with the oil cooler, I got the wrong fittings for the sandwich plate which won't clear the airbox. I should have realised as the Mishimoto oil cooler kit uses banjo fittings but I'd seen the Jackson Racing one had standard straight fittings, however the Mishimoto sandwich plate is shaped differently so it seems it can't rotate enough to allow the fittings to clear the airbox like you can with the Jackson.

The cooling core is in which is the main thing but it was quite a bitch to fit. I had to cut the radiator hose piece on each end shorter than I would like just to get them to go on the radiator and block so there was only just enough hose to be able to properly clamp on each end. It seems to all be ok and not leaking but I'll keep a close eye on it.

At least now once I get the banjo fittings the rest will be easy to finish.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Yeah there's bugger all space around the oil filter. I've got a bit of rubbing, and a bit of light melting on the air intake box (closest to the oil filter/hose connections). You really need to play with the space there.
Hope it works out well for you!
crimespree

Post by crimespree »

You can trim the airbox a bit where it meets the chassis (not shown in pic) That Will help. I reshaped the airbox but it has remembered it's prior form! Mine has been fine for 3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

hey, looking good! (for the melting part at least)
What technique did you use to do that?

by the way the rubbing problem I got it not there. I'll see if I can dig up an image.
Edit: there it is!
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Can't you bend that pipe very slightly? Or do they tend to kink easily?

Just out of curiosity, did you guys wait till you were out of warranty before doing all these mods? Who do you insure with? Shanons?
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

The pipe is the AC pipe. I've already bent it a bit lower - just a tiny bit! - to be able to get it around the new radiator's oil hose connection. It's very rigid and I'm very anxious to fuck up the AC system :D

The car was 1yo when I bought it, and that wasn't even a year ago I think - you do the math. ;)

I'm insured with Budget Direct. No track insurance if that's what interests you.
crimespree

Post by crimespree »

I bought mine day one and starting messing with it almost immediately! NRMA.

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

So I'm guessing you guys just void the warranty and take the risk?

ysu - more wondering what insurance companies you've found that are cool with the mods. It's been a while since I messed with a car, but here (in Vic at least) there was only really an option of AAMI, and Shannons.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I've never had a problem with the mods, they aren't illegal level (yet) so the insurance "just works" and I reckon the warranty would too - on the parts that aren't modified or seriously affected.
I have taken the car in for repairs when I did not have the time - or wanted an official stamp in the book.
I had an insurance episode, too, when I hit a curb.
Both were problem free.

The guys at the toyota dealer were very cool, we chatted about toyota racing, etc, I've told them I'm tracking the car, and they were cool with it.

But generally, yes, I chose not to worry about warranty.
This car is strictly for fun only :)
crimespree

Post by crimespree »

So long as mods are legal. I have a mod plate for brakes and coilovers are legal. The rest is pretty trivial.

86 Nationals are on June 11 at norwell motorplex. You guys should come up!

Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I don't think they can refuse warranty work unless they can prove a modification has caused the problem, so then it's down to does the dealership want to be a c**t about it or not. My car only had a couple months of warranty left when I bought it so it wasn't really an issue for me.

I have insurance with Famous Insurance who seem pretty good (but you never really know until it's claim time), they've listed all the mods I've made on my policy so they'll be covered. They also have a track day insurance, $100 for the day for up to $10,000 in damage.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Awesome. I had no idea that dealerships were so open to mods. I'm probably looking to keep mine mostly stock, I was mostly just curious. I might be tempted into a lovely sounding exhaust at some point, but I'm guessing that's about it

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Crime, QLD is a bit of a hike for me. I'm pretty keen on joining up to an 86/BRZ club for Vic events though when I eventually get the car.

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

crimespree wrote: 86 Nationals are on June 11 at norwell motorplex. You guys should come up!
I'd love to but I'm pretty darn busy lately.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Just got the final price today. Crystal White BRZ with sports package, added on ceramic paint, factory tint, and mats.

$36,888.60 Pretty happy with that. The drive away price on a stock standard BRZ is $36,160.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

So... car still on order... Subaru USA teases a BRZ STi. Anything to it ya reckon? Should I be worried? Haha.

I'd assume if they added a lot more power then the price would be considerably higher and I didn't really want to pay more than $40k. So probably not.

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

If they ever wanted to add power to this car they'd have done it already I reckon. It probably clashes with something or other in their business offering, altho I simply can't figure out what. (I mean slapping a supercharger or a turbo on this is a no brainer solution; the wrx runs well with it.)
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I tend to agree, the motor as NA is pretty much tapped out, there's only a few things like a catless header and e85 that you can do to eke out some more performance. I know a lot of people put on a turbo or supercharger but it's not so simple as a manufacturer, they'd have to strengthen and upgrade various components which would all add to the price.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I thought a lot of it was pretty much ready to go with an extra 100hp or so? It was sort of designed as a modding platform. Isn't the engine the FA20? Same as the WRX?
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Yeah the engine can take it, but other components may not be up to scratch - eg I've barely hit a curb with my front wheel and pretty much everything got bent on that corner. It's flimsy. (light+cheap=flimsy)
The same might be true for drivetrain components - eg. you can read about clutch and gearbox troubles if you look around, people complain about notchy 1st -> 2nd, etc.

This car is very cost effective, but it'd probably cost the manufacturer quite a bit to get it up to scratch with a turbo.

However...if there was a turbo offering for an extra $15k people would still take it I reckon. And that's what I don't see; why is it not even an option?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I suppose it's less about cutting into the WRX market, since they are still very different cars. They wouldn't have made a Levorg if that were the case. And more to do with whatever deal they have with Toyota. I'm fairly sure I've read that Toyota own 20% of Subaru. So I'm guessing if they can't have an equiv car (because it may clash with plans they have in regards to building a higher powered sports car) then they wouldn't want Subaru to have a car that potentially drives sales from them.

This is just my theory based on very little fact.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Well, if they have a better sports car in mind, they should get on with it :)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

There's been talk of a new Supra for 2018/19 I believe.