New Beast (now Toyota 86 discussion)

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Re: New Beast (now Toyota 86 discussion)

Post by ysu »

Thanks again for all the help & tips, I've finally got to it and put it all together this arvo. This is how the hoses look:

Indeed, the levelling of the ATF wasn't too bad, got it right with 1L fill (but my hoses are really short compared to yours, barely a meter each way).
The tranny is like butter now, almost better than before :)

I've replaced those hose clamps with worm clamps, though, I reckon they're easier to work with, even in thigh spaces, besides I really did not like how loose they were on this hose (I got the same as you).

I've got heaps of leftover tranny hose now :D
Last edited by ysu on Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

The solution seems perfectly working, I've gone out for a bit of fun, and gave it some (not track day pressure but hard driving) the oil temp went to 105 C max. The coolant was nice and steady around 100 C max, too. Mostly lower. No leaks. I've booked in for the next track day on the 24th at Eastern Creek. That'll be the real test of it.
http://datazap.me/u/ysu/log-1483398969?log=0&data=2-3-6
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Glad to hear it's all working well, a few months back I ordered the Laminova cooler from the UK so I just need to get the sandwich plate etc. and at some stage I'll put that in. Hardest part will be draining and refilling the coolant I think.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Sarsippius wrote:Glad to hear it's all working well, a few months back I ordered the Laminova cooler from the UK so I just need to get the sandwich plate etc. and at some stage I'll put that in. Hardest part will be draining and refilling the coolant I think.
I've bought the 'official' long life blue coolant from Toyota. You need about 7L - so buy 2x4L. It's expensive, but in this case you don't need to worry much about not completely draining the system (you can empty it if you remove the bottom radiator hose - which I'm not sure if you want to do. It's hard to get to and rather hard to remove as you'd expect). Refilling is pretty simple, fill the overflow bottle to min, then fill the radiator, then fill to max afterwards. But you need to keep checking it after each drive, it needs a small refill at least 3-4 times before all the air escapes the system. More if you don't screw the refill cap back on properly one time...hehe.

But...if you're just installing an oil cooler, why would you need to drain the coolant? Or is it a fluid-fluid one, like the jackson radiator? (although this maybe more of a hybrid one)
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Yeah it's a fluid-fluid one very much the same as how the Jackson works, you basically take the lower coolant hose, cut the ends off and replace the middle section with the Laminova cooler. There's a bit of a write up here, he's supercharged and on a 25C day his peak oil temp was 112C so it's not as effective as the Jackson but should prevent temps getting too high.

http://www.gt86ownersclub.co.uk/forum/a ... age25.html

With the coolant I'm not planning to replace it at this stage, it lasts for years so I'm just planning to drain it and then put it back in.

By the way I'm assuming you didn't have any problems putting the bumper back on? You haven't mentioned it so I assume it wasn't a big deal.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I do not have track data for the Jackson yet. It may well be the same efficiency. And I'm not supercharged.

The front bumper; the mishimoto video helped a lot, even though it's not the same. The tape on the fender is a great idea. And to know how to get the fender side blinkers out is good too.
What's missing; on the GTS there are a few extras.
1) Foglights - you can unplug these from the bottom, 2 each side
2) those square things on the bumper. I think these are the distance radar's parts.
Let me show you with photos.

This thing (complimentary half daughter included - she wanted to be around most of the time, hehe)

Comes out like this:

The trick is, that as you loosen the front bumper it'll come away a bit (as you see in the first photo), then you can pull it out and remove the whole plastic red part. It's spring loaded.

I've managed to bend one little spring clip on the left side blinker though, so it wobbles now. I've also lost a plastic pop clip and a 12mm bolt somewhere, LOL. But I've just managed to score a few things off a guy on one of the facebook groups who's wrecked his and parting it out so it's all good.

Putting the bumper itself back was surprisingly easy and painless otherwise. Interesting that they rate this job for 4/5 difficulty, I'd say there are far worse ones. Or we got lucky.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Those square panels are for spraying the headlights with water according to crimespree earlier in the thread, I think they activate when you spray the windscreen for more than a few seconds.

It seems the issue with the bumper is some of the clips get a bit worn when you pull it off and on, you can also buy replacements if needed. It's possible my bumper has always had a slight sag, as far as I know my aero kit would have been installed on-shore somewhere before delivery to the dealer and they would have had to pull the bumper to put the front lip on.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

ah, thanks! I've totally missed that.

by the way this is the chap I'm buying parts from, he's very nice and helpful; just in case you need to buy something like a spare handle or blinker, etc...
https://www.facebook.com/toyotaracingspares/
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Alright, been to Wakefield park yesterday, and all things are working well. Except I need to figure out raceChrono a bit.

I've logged the coolant & oil temps and they're very good. The coolant was never an issue, it's still there, around 95 C
But the oil temp maxed out at 111 C, whereas before it went over 130 C easily, sometimes to 136 C or so.

http://datazap.me/u/ysu/wakefield-8feb2 ... data=2-3-6

I'm happy with the radiator :)

With racechrono...first problem is how to get the camera to stay focused on infinity? It keeps refocusing. (or is it an android thing?)
Plus, I still need to figure out how to export the video with overlay, I have not looked in to it at all, yet. But it'll be crap anyway I think, due to the aforementioned focus issue.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Ok so you actually can log the oil temps with Racechrono? I'm not sure about the video focus as I use my dashcam for video but it was pretty simple to import that onto the phone and sync up with the overlay. I do remember it was a bit hard to find the exported video though, it saved it somewhere hidden on the phone. Sorry I can't remember exactly anymore, I think it was somewhere you needed root access but I think I used Airdroid to find it and copy to my PC.

Glad to hear the radiator is all working well! I've got the main bits I need for my cooler, just need to get some hose and hose fittings.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Logging: not with raceChrono - that'd require the 'old' (generic) oil temp output from OBD. I've logged the temp in a few sessions via ObdLink (the app of the same name). Although you could log via torque, you can set up any sort of PID within that app.

RaceChrono: I've found the export and after a few hassles exported an overlaid video but it's quite rubbish due to the constant refocusing. But I could sync the sound/pic & dials up very neatly, it's miles ahead of Harry's laptimer in this regard.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

How you guys liking your 86's??

I drove a BRZ at Subaru docklands in Melbourne last Thursday night. I'm in love with how it handled. Gunna order one (hopefully they still have stock of the 'limited'), just wondering whether I should bother waiting for end of fanatical year sales, or just go and do it. It's a 3-4 month wait after ordering as it is. Which actually suits me as a I have couple of debts to square off first. With a built to order type car, I just wonder whether they will do any significant deals on it at the end of June.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

It's still great but I don't know much about the different options for the BRZ. On the Subaru site I can only see the standard and Premium and then a bunch of options. Personally I would want the climate control or whatever it's called and the keyless entry/push start. The bodywork extras, the spoiler bits I'm not too fussed about. The coil springs could be a good option and the gear shift lever assembly could be interesting.

There's a performance pack but I don't know if that's coming to Aus but if I was ever planning to go to the track the suspension and Brembos would be great.

Sorry I got no idea on end of year sales or anything for these, my guess would be with this type of car they may not offer much, it might only be dealer stock that they're trying to get rid of.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah I suspect (although not certain) that end of financial year deals would be better on cars they have plenty of stock of.

The Subaru's have less of a range than the Toyotas. The premium only gives you Leather/Alcantara seats, with seat heating... That's it really.

I'm not too fussed with that, in many ways I prefer cloth seats. They do have the 'limited' version still available though, which I was told is about $2500 more, and includes Brembo brakes, a rear wing, I think some better 17" wheels, and some other goodies. At this point, I can't figure out though if that extra $2500 is on top of the standard car, or the premium with the seats I don't want to pay extra for.

In the US, it seems that the standard and premium have more of a difference.. keyless entry, reversing camera, dual climate control, the LCD on the dash with various displays for torque/HP, G meter, Temps etc. All this seems to be on both models in Australia.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Hmm that doesn't sound right $2,500 with Brembo brakes, a brake kit would be at least that much so if it's right I'd probably jump at it. I would say the Limited would be on top of the Premium as it seems to work that way. The Alacantra seats are definitely nice, if you've seen the cloth and don't mind it that's fine but the extra niceties like the seats, climate control and keyless entry are all worth it in my opinion, they just give that extra premium feel.

Have you looked at the 86? I'm assuming it's 2017 models you're looking at?
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Hey Dex, yeah I love the car still. Tracking it occasionally and messing with parts ;)

What do you want to do with the car?
On the first level: Daily / weekend car? Or track car (how often)?
And then; do you want to fiddle with it? How much?

For track work, I'd buy a MY14 (avoid 13) GT. (base model, to avoid the extra weight)

For daily, it's whatever is your preference, really. I love my rear view camera & the AC (the bottom end model does not have AC!), and it's still fun on the track, hehe.

I read brembo brakes - you don't need them on the streets. But if you're tracking, well, you still don't need them :) However, you do need better brake fluid, better pads, a bit of camber to start with. The brembo may help eventually if you run hard on the track and longer than 15 minute sessions. I do get a bit of brake fade by the end of a 20 min session at EC (altho it maybe due to pads) and I do get the occasional smoking/glowing brakes if I can't run a cooldown lap at the end of the session. But I've been told by Chris Reeves (toyota 86 racer, he's got 4 of these cars, hehe) and others as well, that the stock brake setup is good, there's no real need to replace it, just use it while it lasts. Of course a slotted 2 piece rotor is better, but it's not necessary. Pads are. And fluid.

Then the cooling...and maybe a bit of extra power (header + tune makes wonders)

by the way if you plan on doing such things (eg header), you maybe better off with the pre-17 models, some things have changed in the latest models, and I'm not sure how compatible the available upgrade options are.

Whatever you're buying, I think you'll be happy with it, if you have tried it and don't mind the power (lack of). It's not a drag car :D
crimespree

Post by crimespree »

At 2.5k i'd jump at the extra for the Brembos and trinkets.
Brakes are not necessary but do reduce your running costs a fair chunk but only if tracking.
The weight difference is next to nothing, 17kg and it's mainly the larger GTS brakes and 17inch wheels anyway.
Header and tune either way. E85 if it's handy, The 17 models are easily tuned by a tuner, the OFT guys have trouble as they need to wait for someone to do the work for them first, so they can then fiddle with maps etc. The 17 will feel a little zippier due to the gearing change.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Sars, Yeah the 2017 model.

The seats are the only difference. The standard has the other bits.. climate control, keyless entry, reversing camera etc. I currently have cloth (WRX) seats in my Impreza RS at the moment, I love those. Leather / alacantra are pretty nice, but I'm not really convinced it makes them any more comfy. And i suspect you're right, that the limited will be on top of the premium price. I asked if I could take the list of extras with the price, and the salesman said, "sure, just don't distribute that around." So maybe the limited really is a pretty great deal. They don't seem to advertise it on their site.

The only problem I see with that, is that a standard or premium will be somewhat cheaper than the dealership drive away price as I'm going through novated lease and the fleet company tends to negotiate better prices. The salesman at Subaru said sometimes the fleet companies can't see the 'limited' etc on their system, and often can't order one.

YSU, It will be a daily, however I don't drive to work... so more of a weekendly (take it to some twisties) car. I don't mind the 'lack' of power at all. It has plenty as far as i'm concerned. I drove a WRX and found the experience kinda boring. Loads of power, which you can't really use around the streets, and the whole thing just felt large and heavy in comparison to the older Impreza I have now. I turned my attention to the BRZ and very glad I did.

I'm not really looking at modding it. I may take it to the track but it's not really the reason I want one. The lease means at the end of 5 years, I'll likely be selling it off instead of keeping it. Keeping the resale value up will help me out for the next car, and I figure a completely stock BRZ is going to be more desirable.

The brakes are part of this sports pack (which doesn't seem to be on the site) and also includes different 17" wheels.. I think they are black-outs. And with a black spoiler, and some suspension upgrades. The wheels are really what I'm after, and those on their own seem to be around $1900 anyway. So seems like a decent deal for an extra $500.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

crimespree wrote:The 17 will feel a little zippier due to the gearing change.
Yeah I've heard the new ratio is a nice improvement.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

From what you're saying I'd be tempted to get the sports pack as it seems to offer pretty good value but I'm still suspicious about the brakes, I checked my emails as I was quoted previously almost $4k for a front kit only so that gives you a rough idea.

Anyway that's not a big deal, I'm assuming the rims are the Enkeis they have on the site as options, my Enkeis were $350 a rim, different type obviously but if you add in tyres it seems reasonable. Be nice if you get decent tyres in the mix, you probably also know that different size tyres can vary wildly in price depending on how common they are, something I learned after ordering my rims :)

As I say I'd be tempted to get the pack because you're going for a lease so you can get some of the usual things you might want to mod anyway and then you can leave the car as is for when the lease is up. It will probably be a bit more desirable with the extras as well.

I'd still say 100% put a header and tune on it because it's not hard to go back to stock but that's something you can worry about later.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah I thought the same. Best to get anything I might have wanted to upgrade as a factory fitted as it's then still 'stock' when it's sold.

Here is the paperwork I was asked not to share. Still no idea why not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

That seems like crazy good value, for the money you'd be silly not to go for it.
http://www.subaru.com/guides/brz/my17/m ... ce-package
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah looks pretty good.

The 17 x 7.5's are a little wider than the standard rim aren't they?
crimespree

Post by crimespree »

Yep. 0.5 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

They only have the sports pack in white or red left. Was leaning towards WR blue... but i reckon the white still looks good with the extra bits.

Quoted at approx $38k
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.