Time for a new car

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
Cursed

Time for a new car

Post by Cursed »

So, the last time I bought a new car was back in 1999. It was a Honda CR-V Sport and it cost me around $35k in total. I still have it and it has proven itself very reliable, however at nearly 17 years old it is well beyond time to replace it. No longer does the Mrs require a tall car to easily load kids into booster seats, either.

Enter the latest VW promo on their Jetta:

http://volkswagenaustralia.com.au/specialoffers

We're going for the baseline 6 spd manual and taking advantage of the cheap credit to boot.

Having only the CR-V and a '05 Toyota Echo for comparison, the test drive made me pretty happy. It'll be nice to have a car with a little poke (118kW vs 80-90 for the old cars). Additionally the technology upgrade in equipment in the last 10-17years makes the car feel space-age almost. Hoping for delivery Thursday.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
Santaria

Re: Time for a new car

Post by Santaria »

I love my VW. Congrats on the new buy mate ☺️

Sent from my Nexus 5
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Never had a new car, but been in low k hires 4km on the odo.. Have fun.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

Nicely done Cursed good value for money there
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

So new car is delayed until tomorrow. I'm a little sad but it gave me time to address a real problem; the Mrs has been lamenting the loss of our last mobile cassette player.

Solution:
- the new car has an AUX input
- I just dug this 1989 gem out of the shed:

Back in business.
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

Sweet! Mix tape ftw!
balls & boobs. . .
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Collected the car yesterday, despite a little drama when the Mrs discovered she'd shredded the rego papers for the trade-in, causing us to make a late afternoon dash to a Service NSW office for new papers (they've picked up their game these days - in and out in 10 mins).

I've played around with a lot of the bells and whistles, which are surprisingly numerous for a base model, and am well impressed. Android Auto is supported on the entertainment system, which is a bit of a fun way to voice control a lot of features without paying for premium nav features on the car.

New car smell.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I'm not sure how closely it compares to your car but I was surprised just how much I love all the little mod cons in the 86, keyless entry, start button, dual zone automatic AC, fuel economy figures, touchscreen head unit with usb ports. All cool little features that really enhance the experience, I've also now bought a little OBD2 adapter and loaded the Torque app on an old android phone for extra dials and to be able to check and clear fault codes.

Another thing I'd suggest is to see if there's much of an online community for the Jetta, great way to pick up little tips and tricks and known issues for the car.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Thanks for the tips. I've found one VW fan site that might be worth my time.

Being a base model, I don't have all those mod-cons. I will say that what it does have is impressive. Some of it, I need to get my head around.

For example - door locks. Every door doesn't have its own lock lever/switch. It's central locking or nothing. When centrally locked, a person can still open their door, however. It seems the philosophy is that the locks are to stop people getting in, not to stop you getting out (unless you engage child locks on the back doors). It also took me a while to work out how I could lock the car with the kids inside without them setting off the alarm (e.g. going to pay for petrol at the servo). The answer appears to be to have the kids lock the doors from inside, rather than me using the fob - I still need to test this.

Part of me is curious about OBD2 adapters. As the car is both turbo and supercharged, it might be interesting to see what those are doing (I imagine the data from the boosting bits would be in there).

Anyway, I'm still loving it and the Mrs is constantly gushing about how planted it feels on the road compared to the CR-V and the Echo (unsurprisingly).
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Cursed wrote:Part of me is curious about OBD2 adapters. As the car is both turbo and supercharged, it might be interesting to see what those are doing (I imagine the data from the boosting bits would be in there).
I got a cheap bluetooth OBD2 adapter off ebay for about $15 dollars, the Torque app is free (assuming you're on android) or about $5 for the pro version with extra features, so it doesn't cost much to have a bit of a play. On the 86 quite a few things are there by default but oil temp for instance required setting up a custom value which is where the online community comes in handy.
I've got it all setup really well now but to be honest for day to day driving I don't really bother with it, if I do a track day I will though as on the 86 oil temps can get a bit high when pushing it for a while. If you can get the boost gauges going then than would be handy just in case something goes wrong.