New car advice

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

New car advice

Post by Vilante »

So I absoloutely love my Clio RS, would keep it forever if I could.

But I have a bub on the way in October and it's just too small. I'm due a new car (work) in January so trying to think of what to get.

I have $35K but after fleet discount which is usually around $3K.

So I'm thinking something bigger but still not completely dull, which may be hard.

I can get the top of the line Astina version of the Mazda 3 which is nice because it has all the niceties.

Was also thinking of CX3 or 5 but can only get the base model 5 and the 3 is pretty small being based on the 2.

Any suggestions?

Cheers :)
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Re: New car advice

Post by AstrO »

Commodore SV6 ;)
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Forgot to mention sorry, has to be a 4 banger and auto - boo
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Octavia or Golf Wagon? Octavia has epic space.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

Kombi..

That's my generic answer to all things cars.

Completely useless post.... move on. :rolleyes:
balls & boobs. . .
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

I like the look of the Octavia. Thanks Exar, I knew someone would come up with something unique I hadn't thought of!

Haha, thanks Q-man :D
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Amarok, haha. You'd be mad to go past the VAG group stuff, especially the Octavia. It's decent band for buck. Brother has an HR-V new for under $35k. Not a bad little bucket.

Sent from my Nexus 5
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Ive been looking for last 3 months with the same sort of requirements (tho I want a wagon)

Here is what im looking at/driven.

Mazda 3, great value/features but a little on the small side
Mazda 6, (currently where I am leaning, going for another drive on saturday) can be had for 36-40k, great size great features (especially the 2016 model which has safety pack included)
Mazda CX5 (smaller compared to 6, and $$ compared to 3)
Subaru Liberty Sedan ruled it out cause of no wagon, but did like it terms of price/features, but not as much as the 6
Subaru Forester, so far the only of the "SUV" I can even remotely think of owning, going to test drive this weekend and come down to a decision of that v mazda 6 i think.
Skoda Octavia RS, great car, was keen on this as they had 1% finance but couldnt find what I wanted as it had to be 2015 plated. Was also turned off as ive had a 3 friends with problems with VW/Audi gearboxes.. but loved the car for ~42k mark.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

pab

Post by pab »

Quincy wrote:Kombi..

That's my generic answer to all things cars.

Completely useless post.... move on. :rolleyes:
Ha! I'd actually gone to carsales and found an 2L auto kombi in about the right price range (just a fraction above but could talk them down I'm sure) and came here to post it then I saw your post :D

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/deta ... 410/?Cr=23
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

WOW. Bonkers! $38000. Sorry Mando, out of your league bud.
balls & boobs. . .
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Octavia is a great car with loads of room, despite it not being a big car. Economy is amazing, and it's actually pretty quick. Plus it's the most comfortable car I've owned. Mine was only 29k driveway too because it was in the yard.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

nutty wrote:Ive been looking for last 3 months with the same sort of requirements (tho I want a wagon)

Here is what im looking at/driven.

Mazda 3, great value/features but a little on the small side
Mazda 6, (currently where I am leaning, going for another drive on saturday) can be had for 36-40k, great size great features (especially the 2016 model which has safety pack included)
Mazda CX5 (smaller compared to 6, and $$ compared to 3)
Subaru Liberty Sedan ruled it out cause of no wagon, but did like it terms of price/features, but not as much as the 6
Subaru Forester, so far the only of the "SUV" I can even remotely think of owning, going to test drive this weekend and come down to a decision of that v mazda 6 i think.
Skoda Octavia RS, great car, was keen on this as they had 1% finance but couldnt find what I wanted as it had to be 2015 plated. Was also turned off as ive had a 3 friends with problems with VW/Audi gearboxes.. but loved the car for ~42k mark.
Thanks Nutty. My mate has a Forester and I love it, would be great for getaways but I figure you've gotta buy for what you're going to use it for most.

I'd be at the bottom end of the Forester range but I'll definitely test drive it.

I didn't realise you had one Woodsy. Will have to go for a test drive soon. Have asked for some quote to see if I can squeeze the huge sunroof in ha.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I've had a test drive of the CX3, and I thought it was a nice car overall but pretty damn gutless.

I reckon you can get far more car for your money buying a Mazda 3, you'd be able to get the bigger engine for same money. They are really nice. Definitely a lot more room for the Bub than the CX3 as well. The hatch backs are excellent and look pretty nice as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Putting bub into a hatch back will give you a sore back. I'd have an SUV over a hatch any day of the week for a kidlet. CX5 would be a good pick for the money?

Sent from my Nexus 5
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Santaria wrote:Putting bub into a hatch back will give you a sore back. I'd have an SUV over a hatch any day of the week for a kidlet. CX5 would be a good pick for the money?

Sent from my Nexus 5
I put mine into the Toyota 86 all right! (just kidding even the child seat is a pain in the arse to squeeze in - but she can climb in herself, hehe)

But we've used the 380 (sedan) long enough, and it wasn't a problem. Sure a SUV can be easier but I don't think it's a big issue, unless your back is problematic to start with.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Mine has been going in the back of the Clio for 5 years and it's been fine.

New Megane is out soon and looks quite sharp. In the meantime could get a runout deal on a current Megane wagon for a good price too. Not as much space as Octavia though.

SUVs are easier to get babies in and out of but then it flips and is harder to get themselves in and out when they're old enough. SUVs tend to have a shorter but higher load space as well so depends on what you're after. Usually wagons have more usable load space for the same price but it obviously depends on the model.

Wagons are more fun to drive. :)
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

My parents had no trouble getting us kids into a Datsun 1200. :D

Everyone has a preference of course but I can't see how a big arse SUV is required for one little one. I guess if you're looking to the future and plan on a couple more then it changes things. My sister has 3 kids and drives a Forester. She really does need the extra space. She had an Astra hatch before that when she only had the one, and worked fine for her.

Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

MY17 Octavia specs look great. Adaptive cruise on an auto wagon for $28k drive away.

Santaria

Post by Santaria »

DexterPunk wrote:My parents had no trouble getting us kids into a Datsun 1200. :D

Everyone has a preference of course but I can't see how a big arse SUV is required for one little one. I guess if you're looking to the future and plan on a couple more then it changes things. My sister has 3 kids and drives a Forester. She really does need the extra space. She had an Astra hatch before that when she only had the one, and worked fine for her.

How is a CX5 or CX3 a "big arse SUV?" They're medium/compact SUV's with better ground clearance and higher seating position.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

CX3 is pretty tiny, Mazda 2 inside pretty much. CX5 is pretty large though. At least compared to a hatch. I wouldn't go a CX3 after driving one. It was pretty gutless.

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

The cx5 isn't big at all. The interior and cargo space is prolly smaller than my 380 had. I have looked at the car when we were searching.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Interior space you're probably right. But I'd still consider it large.
I think they are great cars though, I'd much rather one than a CX3. My point was that for one child you don't necessarily need it, if you want it that another thing. I just think there are plenty of great hatches around that would do the job fine. You'd be limiting your options a lot by writing them off. Don't get me wrong though. A CX5 would be easier to get prams and such around.

Cursed

Post by Cursed »

I'm still pretty pleased with my base model Jetta I picked up at the beginning of the year. Has enough go and plenty of space.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Exar Kun wrote:MY17 Octavia specs look great. Adaptive cruise on an auto wagon for $28k drive away.

It does look good, so much equipment included. Need to get out and have a drive of one.
Cursed wrote:I'm still pretty pleased with my base model Jetta I picked up at the beginning of the year. Has enough go and plenty of space.
I haven't looked at them either yet, will do that, cheers.

I have had 2 hire cars this week, a Rav4 and a Mitsu ASX. I think it's turned me off the small SUV thing. I know I'm coming from a Clio RS so not much is going to be that fun but they were so uninspiring and wollowing. It also seems like you're paying so much more just for the size of the car/popularity of the segment that you get fewer features. Just bland.

Looking forward to getting into the Octavia and the Jetta to see if they make me smile a little :)