Whitegoods help in here....

Need a hand with a home project, how to fix that bloody roof leak, hang a door etc...
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Re: Whitegoods help in here....

Post by Vilante »

Another one for you Santa, you seem to have a popular thread here :)

I need to buy a washing machine and it's not the most exciting purchase I've made, I'd rather be spending the money on the TV or something :) I was wondering whether it's worth looking second hand or if I'm better off buying a cheaper brand new with Warranty? Is there any brands you'd recommend or avoid with used or new?

Thanks mate :)
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Vilante wrote:Another one for you Santa, you seem to have a popular thread here :)

I need to buy a washing machine and it's not the most exciting purchase I've made, I'd rather be spending the money on the TV or something :) I was wondering whether it's worth looking second hand or if I'm better off buying a cheaper brand new with Warranty? Is there any brands you'd recommend or avoid with used or new?

Thanks mate :)
Simpsons are pretty cheap new, and 2nd hand would be pretty good as well. It's up to you whether or not you want to buy brand new or not. If you buy 2nd hand and the unit is under 5years old, make sure you get the receipt so you can still claim warranty.

I'd probably stay away from Haier, Maytag/Whirlpool and the likes, out of warranty, they are stupidly expensive.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Thank you mate, you are a gentleman!
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

I bought an LG front loader for $650, and the government gave me $200 bucks back! Its hard to find an argument to buy 2nd hand at those prices
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

kwijibo wrote:I bought an LG front loader for $650, and the government gave me $200 bucks back! Its hard to find an argument to buy 2nd hand at those prices
It's a toss up between front load and top load. Top load uses more water, Front loaders use more power.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

My clothes feel much nicer after a front load wash :)
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

kwijibo wrote:My clothes feel much nicer after a front load wash :)
As I heard they don't kill clothes either. (the top loaders do)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
kaz777cars

Post by kaz777cars »

Santaria wrote:
kaz777cars wrote:The fridge tec came out the other day and disconnected the defrost element until he comes back with a new one so Santa you were spot on again, thanks mate.
That's why I get paid the big bucks to work in the Child Protection sector.... wait... what?
Still waiting for the f###n fridge tec to bring the defrost element out there good at making excuses,
just about had enough though.........STAY CLEAR OF FISHER&PAYKEL FOR FRIDGE REPAIRS :no:
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

kaz777cars wrote:
Santaria wrote:
kaz777cars wrote:The fridge tec came out the other day and disconnected the defrost element until he comes back with a new one so Santa you were spot on again, thanks mate.
That's why I get paid the big bucks to work in the Child Protection sector.... wait... what?
Still waiting for the f###n fridge tec to bring the defrost element out there good at making excuses,
just about had enough though.........STAY CLEAR OF FISHER&PAYKEL FOR FRIDGE REPAIRS :no:
You can call F&P and complain to them about the tech taking too long, but in all honesty, the way we had to try and get parts through F&P as a contractor, it's a nightmare. F&P fart arse around then the poor tech gets drilled coz they fuck about. Try another tech if it's taking too long (1 week would be way too long in my opinion)
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

I'm borrowing my sisters old washing machine while she lives with some friends. We went to move it, and a spring was lying on the ground :S Can't see where it's supposed to go just from looking at the bottom of the machine, is there any way to find out/put it back on myself? Simpson SWF8556
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

We went shopping for washing machines and fridges on the weekend.

I think we like the 519 litre stainless Electrolux which fits in with your recommendations earlier in this thread :)

With the washers, we liked the look of two:

Bosch 6.5kg front loader $800 at Good guys

Whirlpool 7.5kg $669 front loader at Harvey Norman

Would you recommend one over the other? The lady would like a front loader as she's heard it's nicer to your clothes and the environment. Around $700 was the budget.
Santaria

Re: Re: Whitegoods help in here....

Post by Santaria »

Vilante wrote:We went shopping for washing machines and fridges on the weekend.

I think we like the 519 litre stainless Electrolux which fits in with your recommendations earlier in this thread :)

With the washers, we liked the look of two:

Bosch 6.5kg front loader $800 at Good guys

Whirlpool 7.5kg $669 front loader at Harvey Norman

Would you recommend one over the other? The lady would like a front loader as she's heard it's nicer to your clothes and the environment. Around $700 was the budget.
Gentler on the clothes differs from person to person. Out of the 2, I'd take the Bosch. Gentlervon the environment is also different. Front loads use significantly more power, top loaders more water.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

GT VIRUS wrote:I'm borrowing my sisters old washing machine while she lives with some friends. We went to move it, and a spring was lying on the ground :S Can't see where it's supposed to go just from looking at the bottom of the machine, is there any way to find out/put it back on myself? Simpson SWF8556
Top load? How big is the spring?
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Thanks heaps Santa :)
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

Santaria wrote:
GT VIRUS wrote:I'm borrowing my sisters old washing machine while she lives with some friends. We went to move it, and a spring was lying on the ground :S Can't see where it's supposed to go just from looking at the bottom of the machine, is there any way to find out/put it back on myself? Simpson SWF8556
Front load, spring is about 10cm long. However the drum has now sunk down, so something is definatly up. Repairman will be required I think
Santaria

Re: Re: Re: Whitegoods help in here....

Post by Santaria »

GT VIRUS wrote:
Santaria wrote:
Front load, spring is about 10cm long. However the drum has now sunk down, so something is definatly up. Repairman will be required I think
If you're mechanically minded, pop the top off and have a look. But the spring or holder is more than likely stuffed.

They hold the bowl level :)
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

Well hey, it wasn't so hard after all :P thanks
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

GT VIRUS wrote:Well hey, it wasn't so hard after all :P thanks
No probs. The holders and stuff weren't broken? It's fairly rare for a spring to pop off for shits and giggles.
kaz777cars

Post by kaz777cars »

The tec came out the other day and it was only $180 fitted for the defrost element
so the fridge cost us $480 all up and it's like new and running sweeeet!
I have seen the same fridge go for $1500 on ebay so we are happy now and it was worth the wait, prob just over a week.
I know it's not the tecs fault they take so long F&P should give you more of and idea how long things will take but I suppose they
think if they do they might loose the business, ow well that's life!
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

kaz777cars wrote:The tec came out the other day and it was only $180 fitted for the defrost element
so the fridge cost us $480 all up and it's like new and running sweeeet!
I have seen the same fridge go for $1500 on ebay so we are happy now and it was worth the wait, prob just over a week.
I know it's not the tecs fault they take so long F&P should give you more of and idea how long things will take but I suppose they
think if they do they might loose the business, ow well that's life!
F&P are a New Zealand owned company that make fridges in USA, using Mexicans, then sell to Australia, so you can see why the techs take so long to get parts. It's ridiculous.
9ra55h0ppaH
Master artist
Master artist

Post by 9ra55h0ppaH »

Any opinions on Whirlpool fridges Santaria? ive noticed a few around, im up for a new Fridge now :(
Now with Added Flickr
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

9ra55h0ppaH wrote:Any opinions on Whirlpool fridges Santaria? ive noticed a few around, im up for a new Fridge now :(
Never been a fan of them, purely because they merged with Maytag... but instead of using the good things of each company when they joined, they only brought the bad. They're expensive to repair out of warranty, parts can be an issue if you've got a bit of distance between you and a major city. They look good though and their reliability has improved (Quoted from the old man). In saying that, we have got an old Maytag side-by-side that has only ever had the glass defrost elements replaced.

I like Electrolux/Westinghouse/Simpson/Kelvinator fridges because they're essentially the same company, are Aussie based and usually have more than 1 parts guy in a decent sized town. They look after their tech guys meaning you won't get held up long for parts. LG's are also good in fridges and are usually reliable, but parts time and lack of repairers may be an issue depending where you are.

Hope this helps Grassy! If any other questions mate, ask away.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

*hops up on Santa's knee*

Im off to buy a new wall oven. Any hints or tips on brands to look at or avoid?

Middle of the range budget, old oven is 600mm wide but the style that has the grill under it so I expect I will have a hole to fill or gain a brand new free shelf :)
--------------
Stu
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Just grab what looks good for you, but stay away from and cheapy cheap stuff like homemaker etc. Ovens are basic and not much can go wrong with them apart from the doors not closing properly, although they're all pretty good now. The old man doesn't fix or replace much at all on ovens these days. As always, I'll still say stick to Electrolux/Westinghouse/Simpson because of the Aussie support.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Hey San, come home tonight to find the freezer in our frost free fridge, not so frost free, I'm guessing the defrost element is gone, and possibly the fan as well since I'm yet to hear it fire up either, it's a Westinghouse Freestyle model no. RJ452T-R, possibly around 10 years old, do you reckon it's worth fixing or should we just start looking a for a new one?