A call out to the brits!

Need a hand with a home project, how to fix that bloody roof leak, hang a door etc...
Scottie

A call out to the brits!

Post by Scottie »

Hi guys,

I'm doing some groundwork for a move, and thought I'd get some inside knowledge on the place before I start thinking too far ahead of myself.

Recent circumstances have given me an opportunity to do whatever I'd like, g/f decided I wasn't the one for her and I've always wanted to see what it's like beyond the oceans surrounding our fine land. With my mother a brit, and being born a certain time after a cut off date, I have the opportunity to obtain a british passport, setting the roots for a desire to move on over.

I'm planning on staying there too. I have friends here, but nothing to hold me back, and it'll give me a lot more opportunity to explore the greater european continent and it's events.

anyway, better get to it. My biggest dilemma is things have moved on a long time since mum lived there, and when I get there, I'd like to have some sense of security knowing I'm not going to get mugged or burgled or something. Are there any particular parts of Britain to look out for re: location that you believe to be, umm, where you'd rather not live?

It is based off this I will take into account other factors such as job, public transport, etc. I wan't to be sure I can be safe and sound wherever I'm living first and foremost!

That said, if there's any other tips you'd like to advise, I'm all ears right now!

Anyway, I think that's enough by me, I can't wait to hear from you! Now to get in touch with a cousin who's just been there for a few years... Funny how I consult ARSE first about pretty important things!

Scott.

p.s. google earth is my friend!!!
Dan
Wobbly2.0

Re: A call out to the brits!

Post by Dan »

If you don't want to be mugged or burgled... Don't move to London :P I've been thinking of doing the same thing since I split up with my GF a year ago... I've got friends on Swansea (Wales) and in Manchester who both think I should make the move. Another great thing about the UK is flying to F1 and MotoGP events is like flying from Melbourne to Sydney except you have to exchange currency :P

My plan is to go over there for about 6-12 months in 3-5 years time to suss the place out.
The Todd Norbury appreciation society
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Pretty much every city has its dodgy bits.

Oxford is seen as very quaint and English but I wouldn't want to live in the bit called Blackbird Leys or Cowley Road. But I'm only a mile and a bit from the Leys and I feel fine.

Likewise, London, Birmingham, Sheffield, Manchester and Liverpool are all huge metropolises with nice leafy parts and also rough areas. Do not move to Moss Side in Manchester or Toxteth in Liverpool :D There used to be site which had all the crime stats for different regions but I can't put my finger on it right now. It's either on the police or government site.

But also there's a reasonable amount of suburb crime. People in affluent areas seem to get burgled by the chavs coming in to get the riches.

Having said that I think, on the whole, we're pretty good for crime. I've never experienced it myself and neither has anyone in my family and I don't know any friends who've been burgled or mugged. You're probably more likely to get nicked for speeding then be a victim of crime.

In general the midlands is a little poorer than the rest of the country. Places like birmingham, sheffield, leeds are all the old industrial heartland which has now all shifted to cheap labour in china and as a result unemployment is a little higher there. The flip side is that property is a lot cheaper. For instance, here in Oxford you're lucky to find a 1 bed studio flat for under £200,000! Also as you move further north things get cheaper (and colder). A friend of mine is looking at a nice old characterful stone 2 bed detached house 250 miles north of me for the same money.

You're probably better off deciding where you generally want to go first and then looking at the places where you could live.
http://www.rightmove.co.uk is a good property site if you want an idea of prices. I'll warn you now, everything over here costs a bloody fortune. We pay nearly AUS $2 a litre for petrol. We're taxed to buggery. But then maybe the general salaries are higher to compensate.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

are there any Brits tough enough to mug an Aussie ?? :lol:
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

DexterPunk wrote:are there any Brits tough enough to mug an Aussie ?? :lol:
:rofl: :prod:

Good luck with the move Scottie!
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

And, if you can afford the insurance, the used car market in the UK is such that you can pick up your dream car for next to nothing!
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

You can get F40s for next to nothing?? :)
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

DexterPunk wrote:You can get F40s for next to nothing?? :)
Who doesn't have an F40 these days :rolleyes:
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

knew I came to the right place :)

thx guys! now to put an F40 on my list ;)
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

No F40s I could find for sale :(

An F550 with 30000kms is $90k though - not too shabby. And $30k will get you a 2003 M3. Cheaper than my Accord by far. :(
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

lol

couple-o-days, she'll be right! Anyway, now to find a map!
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Durb just bought a new house, he has a spare room, and according to Facebook he likes it up the gripper, so you can pay rent that way.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Exar Kun wrote:No F40s I could find for sale :(
Try these
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/ :)
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

/me droooooools :yummy:
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

having the hardest time finding which form I need to use to apply for citizenship by descent... can't find it anywhere although it states it is possible on this site.
British citizenship may descend to one generation born abroad. So if you were born outside the United Kingdom or qualifying territory and one of your parents was a British citizen otherwise than by descent, you are a British citizen by descent.
Oh, and my eyes are drawn to Swindon.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Big Kev wrote:
Exar Kun wrote:No F40s I could find for sale :(
Try these
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/ :)
yarrgggghhh.... :eyepop: :fall: :yummy:
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

well the new job is going well, but the urge to head over is still there... so passport application in this friday and once that's done, a small holiday after making contact with some employment agencies to weigh up my options.

Sister might be tagging along too.
Virtual-R
Ninja Roy

Post by Virtual-R »

Last edited by Virtual-R on Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

What is Greenwich like?

I'm in London for 4 nights at the end of August and we're staying in Greenwich, just wondering if it's OK safety wise etc.
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

LOL nice knowing you VIl!

just kidding I have no idea, who would want to hurt you anyway? :D

I just wiki'ed that place, there is an amazing panoramic photo showing the landscape. Looks amazing man, should be awesome!
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Sambo wrote:LOL nice knowing you VIl!

I just wiki'ed that place, there is an amazing panoramic photo showing the landscape. Looks amazing man, should be awesome!
hehe :)

I'm going to Amsterdam/Berlin/Dresden/Ljubljana/Lake Bled/Paris/Brussles/Ypres/London/Dubai - 8 weeks. Can't wait!!
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

Vilante wrote:
Sambo wrote:LOL nice knowing you VIl!

hehe :)

I'm going to Amsterdam/Berlin/Dresden/Ljubljana/Lake Bled/Paris/Brussles/Ypres/London/Dubai - 8 weeks. Can't wait!!
:fall:

That will be quite litterally nothing short of epic. Thats fantastic man!
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

I'm going to Kangaroo Island......sit on that!!!!!.... awww.

ha, I don't have the balls to up and take off on a Euro adventure, hell I'd love to though. At least I managed to leave the country for the 1st time this year, maybe again by the end of the year. But yeah, always admired those who have gone and tackled the Northern Hemisphere. Now with a mortgage and shit I probably won't get a chance to until the later stages of my life.

Jealous... lol
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

well I've spontaneously found 3 weeks leave for a euro taster!

why just 3 weeks? well, work demands n such.
why not wait? I have 2 mates over there currently wanting me to go meet them, and an opportune contract gap gives me a little time.

so Sco-tie is going to start in London town, stay in england for 5 days or so, then go via the Nurburgring to Milan for the GP. Topping it all off with a visit to Monte Carlo.

any tips on those places, where to stay or if anyone want's to catch up while I'm there, feel free!

I'll arrive on the PM of August 28th and leave in Sept 17th ex-Milan :)

Scottie's Excited!%#*@#
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Awesome Scottie, less than 3 weeks to go for me, starting to get excited :)