Stolen / Recovered Vehicle Auctions / Sales in Melbourne?

Need a hand with a home project, how to fix that bloody roof leak, hang a door etc...
Virtual-R
Ninja Roy

Post by Virtual-R »

Hi Guys, I'm about due for another car and am pretty much fed up with searching carsales, trading post and ebay everyday to find nothing. I remember they used to run stolen recovered vehicle auctions here years ago, but I've been unable to find any details of where they are held these days. If anyone knows would they be able to give me some details? Not interested in repairable write off cars, just stolen / recovered. Thanks
Takumi

Re: Stolen / Recovered Vehicle Auctions / Sales in Melbourne

Post by Takumi »

Virtual-R wrote:Hi Guys, I'm about due for another car and am pretty much fed up with searching carsales, trading post and ebay everyday to find nothing. I remember they used to run stolen recovered vehicle auctions here years ago, but I've been unable to find any details of where they are held these days. If anyone knows would they be able to give me some details? Not interested in repairable write off cars, just stolen / recovered. Thanks
How could you get fed up with carsales? I love that site :D

I dunno about you but I wouldn't like to own a car which has been stolen and taken on a joyride. They usually get flogged to within an inch of their life before being dumped somewhere. I'd also wonder why the original owner didn't take the car back after it had been recovered...
It's been nice, chaps.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Takumi wrote: How could you get fed up with carsales? I love that site :D
Me too. I'm literally on there every day fantasy shopping for cars.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Virtual-R
Ninja Roy

Post by Virtual-R »

I've worked on cars my whole life and built project cars before too, so have a good knowledge of what to look for in terms of whether the car is at the end of it's life or not. Also not hard for me to fit a new engine / box / suspension if something does give up, I've fixed up friends cars after they were stolen so no different to me buying a stolen recovered car.

Most times they end up at Auction because insurance already paid out before the car was recovered, 90% of them sit in council lock ups and police aren't even notified until a few weeks later, they make more money that way because the owner or insurer has to pay the impound fee.

Very little choice on carsales / trading post / ebay for the car's I'm interested in buying, for some reason the market in Victoria seems dead. Any that do pop up are far too over priced (99% dealer advertisements) and almost all of them are within the last 80,000km of their life anyway. I just need a half decent run around car for the moment that I can dump in a couple of years time, which is what I'm doing with my current car, bought it at 215,000km and scrapping it once it gets to 320,000. I've got $14,000 at the moment but would prefer to spend about $4000 on a car and have some security money left over. If I get desperate I might fly to sydney or the gold coast and buy a car there, many more cars available and at decent prices.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Police Auctions are good also.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

When I was looking it was really difficult to find anything that wasnt an ex fleet car (Falcon/Commodore). Car yards are waaaay too over priced as well. Carsales seemed my only real option and I had to keep at it for a while. The police auctions were something I was considering too, but I'd decided exactly what I wanted by that stage.
Virtual-R
Ninja Roy

Post by Virtual-R »

Mananged to find the car I wanted, turns out this one was a stolen recovered too but I didn't pick it up from auction, a mechanic / paint shop was selling the car. It is an ex auction car though, still has the auction numbers on it.

The car is a 1994 Holden Caprice V8, fully optioned with 180,000kms on the clock, picked it up for $3000. Only issue with the car is a fairly harsh shift when changing up to second, rest of the car is nearly faultless and it passed a roadworthy without me needing to do anything, did a full inspection over the car and it has never been in a major accident and is really very good condition for a car of it's age. Went through re-registration last week and it is on the road now, old car will soon be sent to scrap heaven.

Guess my plans all came together eventually in the end, still have no idea where the stolen / recovered vehicle auctions are held though lol