Water/condensation in tail light

Need a hand with a home project, how to fix that bloody roof leak, hang a door etc...
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I noticed this today, I'm sure it wasn't there a couple of days ago. I'm concerned it will turn the light that horrible browny colour. How long does that take to happen? Is there anything I can do without buying a new rear light? Can it be taken out and cleaned? And is there some kind of seal I should look for a leak in (common place for it) ?

Cheers guys.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Re: Water/condensation in tail light

Post by AstrO »

Never had that in my rear lights, so I'm not sure what the cause could be. Maybe VT will know as he thrashed one out for a year. ;)
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

If there's plastic around Dex will find a way of getting moisture in it.

typed on phone
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I'm not an expert, but if it does not dry out naturally in a few dry days, you maybe in for some trouble. Not just discolouration, but potential bulb-murdering (which maybe unchangeable by itself, thanks to modern car designs)
First big question is, if it's in fact condensation, or water can leak in somehow? I've seen cars where the insulation around those part wasn't up to scratch and water could get in but not out (i.e. the insulation was borked at the top somewhere)

sent from...wait, it has not been sent at all!
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I guess I'll wait and see what happens maybe it will dry out. :S

One of these days I'll get on top of all that needs being done with this car. Freakin love the car, but by christ it's cost me a lot. Was just looking at getting some panels resprayed to fix some stone chips. Might have to wait if I need a new rear light. Can't be cheap!

VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

AstrO wrote:Never had that in my rear lights, so I'm not sure what the cause could be. Maybe VT will know as he thrashed one out for a year. ;)
They never stayed intact for long enough for the problem to arise.
:teach:
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

VT has trouble reversing.
balls & boobs. . .
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

lol!

I spoke to a chap today at a Subaru spares place near me... He told me to take the light out, and drill a couple of small holes through the back.

macca
Founder
Founder

Post by macca »

DexterPunk wrote:lol!

I spoke to a chap today at a Subaru spares place near me... He told me to take the light out, and drill a couple of small holes through the back.

So, rather than stop water getting in, you just let it out to go somewhere else ? I can see that this would be a way for it to dry out, but surely you should find where the moisture is coming from first, seals, slight crack in lens, etc.
I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zedmacca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah, he gave me a couple of ideas where to look for damaged seals etc. but said if its only condensation the holes will let it let it dry. As far as I can tell the idea is to just leave the holes there in the back of the light and not bother to silicon them back up after its dried.

c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

He is a wanker. It's common on even the most recent cars for the tail/stop/running lights to have moisture in them. Most commonly it's a poor seal, which can be repaired. Depends how far you are willing to go. I wouldn't drill in to my lights unless I was sure you could make it one way.

At work we even see the sealed LED lights with moisture in them.

It can effectively corrode the conductors and terminals, which can be a real ass because you think you have lost a bulb but turns out the bulb is ok. But the worst part in my opinion is that the silver on the reflector can turn black, which is not repairable.
It takes time for that to happen however. I would remove the light assembly and look at the seal, iirc the subi lights use a thin rubber seal. It may have been kinked or damaged in production. Sikaflex (black silicon) will seal it. Use saliva on your finger to create a smooth seal after you apply the silicon. Metho on a rag will clean up the rest without damaging the plastic of the light. You can use nail polish remover, acetone free only though.

One of the ute's at work fills it's rear lights over 3/4 full when ever it rains, but the lights still work, lol.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Thanks heaps cj. How do you dry it out before fixing up the seal though? (if that's the problem).

c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

remove the light assembly from the car, remove the bulbs and leave it in the sun.

I wouldn't spray RP7 or WD40 in there, even though its for water dispersal, it will film the light assembly. You can spray the bulb assembly though, or with contact cleaner.

;)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Thanks again. I'll give it a crack when I get a day free.

c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

np mate, if you need to you can contact me about it. I am no expert but we do see a bit of this at work.

;)
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Grab the biggest hair dryer from your salon and aim it at the light.

...hehehehehhe..