How to replace these halogen ceiling lights?

Need a hand with a home project, how to fix that bloody roof leak, hang a door etc...
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

How to replace these halogen ceiling lights?

Post by ysu »

As per the title.

I've read around that some pull out some twist, some do whatever with some springy mechanism, but I've not found one guide where I could photo-ID what is this in my ceiling.

So if any of you are able to identify what it is, and what's the likely process to get them out for a closer examination (eg volt/power ratings), pray tell!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Re: How to replace these halogen ceiling lights?

Post by kwijibo »

Watching this thread with keen interest. I'm down to 4 working lights out of 8 :rofl:
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I think you pop out the inner ring with a flat head screwdriver and then the globe behind should come out easily.

Make sure you turn it off first :)
eek
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

You'll be jumping into the roof for that. It'll be held in place with a slightly sprung piece of metal that is acting as a locking mechanism. Simply pull it out and you'll be able to remove the light fitting. Unplug the old and replace with the new one. Making sure the power is off.

The hardest part will be putting the locking mechanism back in place. Not so much as hard as it is annoying.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

r8response wrote:You'll be jumping into the roof for that.
fark r8 that sounds bad....the roof cavity is full of that prickly insulation thing which causes rashes even if you just look at it. (glass fibre or similar shit)

I'd call an electrician but at the moment only one needs replacement...

Why does anyone install a pos like that???

Well, thanks anyway, it'll stay as it is for now :(
Speed

Post by Speed »

I wouldn't reckon that you'd have to get in the roof.

Probably be a good idea to go to a lighting store & have a look at one.
http://500px.com/Warren_Joyce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

You guys are kidding right???

The outer ring is the frame - ignore that, it is just the part which mounts it all to the ceiling. What you need to focus on is the inner ring - press your index fingers and thumbs from both hands against it, and try to rotate it counter clockwise. Sometimes you need to apply quite a bit of force to get it to turn, if it is an old fitting.

Once it rotates clockwise a bit, the whole inner part of the fitting will drop down out of the ceiling, followed by the lamp with the wire connected to it. There are a few types of fittings, sometimes the bulb is held against the inner ring with a clip of some kind, other times it is just sitting in behind it. Regardless, remove the lamp from any clips and pull the wire of the end of the it as well.

Swap the lamp over and do everything exactly in reverse in order to fix it back in the ceiling.

Also, they're bog standard 12v halogen lamps.. 12-volt is harmless so no danger at all. Still turn the light switch off though otherwise it'll blind you as you are putting the new lamp in.
Last edited by Takumi on Sat May 19, 2012 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's been nice, chaps.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Guarantee that won't work Takumi.

Ysu has the ones that require you to change it from above.

The ones that can be rotated are easily identifiable. They have two small tabs opposite each other that are used to rotate it.

Takumi

Post by Takumi »

r8response wrote:Guarantee that won't work Takumi.

Ysu has the ones that require you to change it from above.

The ones that can be rotated are easily identifiable. They have two small tabs opposite each other that are used to rotate it.

How much would you like to bet?
It's been nice, chaps.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

If it works, then all the better for him.

Whenever i've tried to twist it out, the pricks never turn and have always required crawling around in the ceiling and changing them that way.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I'll give it a try.
You want to see what you can do, Kwij? you've less to loose, yours are already out of commission :D
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

Goodluck mate - guarantee it'll work.

Often they are a bit stiff due to old age - it can also be difficult to get traction on them because there are no tabs to get hold of, but persist and it will turn.

I know these fittings well because our apartment has them in every room - they all look identical to your fitting. In my case they are also mounted in a concrete ceiling - can't exactly go up into the slab to change a lamp from above can I :D
It's been nice, chaps.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

Ysu, your down light looks exactly like mine. This thread inspired me to give it another go - and with a bit of googling, found that the entire housing needs to be pulled down from the roof. It has some springy metal clamps that hold it up in the ceiling. With a bit of force they will bend inwards and the whole fitting should come out. You can then disconnect the wire that connects to the globe

That said, I now have the fitting sitting on my desk, and can't work out how to get the globe out of it :D
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

I am starting to develop a complex over this now! I can tell you 100% the inner ring will turn when subjected to enough pressure! To pull the whole housing out of the ceiling is unnecessary work - you run the risk of damaging the plasterboard ceiling too.

Source: I work for an interior design company and deal with these on a weekly basis!
It's been nice, chaps.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

haha, well it makes it much easier to get a grip on that inner ring now that it's out. I still can't get it to budge, but you must be right. There's no other way to get the bulb out.
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

Sometimes you can lever it a little bit with a flathead screwdriver to loosen it up a bit, before twisting.
It's been nice, chaps.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

Sticking a knife in there popped it out. It's not a twist thing though. Some little metal clamps look like they're supposed to hold it in place, but they're too loose now. It might have been glued in place to hold it together.

Bent the metal clamps back and its good as new :)
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

Sounds like someone has borked it up previously. Try piece it back together with the new bulb and whack it back up there :D
This is like Man Lab, helping chaps get things done. We'll be wiring plugs next.
It's been nice, chaps.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Takumi wrote:Sounds like someone has borked it up previously. Try piece it back together with the new bulb and whack it back up there :D
This is like Man Lab, helping chaps get things done. We'll be wiring plugs next.
Actually, I've done (almost) that last week, I had to replace the whole of the light fitting in my room because that silly patent-thing which keeps the bulb in pace just crumbled....I thought that patented light bulb was the worst design I've seen in my life.
But that's nothing compared to these bitches.
I've tried mine, and the one I've tried did not budge, altho I haven't forced it too much...I'm somewhat afraid that the stupid plasterboard would just crumble...I'll try in the day again, and maybe with another one, too.

I've a feeling electrical appliance design is at a world-low in this country.

But in fact the whole building industry is similar; the plasterboard, the lock mechanisms, the gaps below each door, the lack of insulation everywhere...now if you compare that to how much you pay for buildings anywhere else in the developed world, you should get a heart attack.

The screw-over the game industry is giving Australia is nothing compared to the scam they call building industry here.
macca
Founder
Founder

Post by macca »

I doubt very much that a light fitting would be sold that you have to get into your roof space to remove the globe. The OH&S implications would be huge, even in a domestic situation. What happens when the fitting is in a small space that can't be accessed.

I have replaced plenty of these types of globes. Have a look at it, make sure you turn it off at the switch, isolate the circuit if you want as well just to be extra safe. Takumi is right, you just rotate the inner ring to suit the locking tabs & the fitting will drop down so you can remove the globe. There are usually two metal spring type strips holding the globe in with a two pin type locator (as opposed to a traditional bayonet or screw type fitting). I really wouldn't stick screw drivers etc into fittings, just be patient & thoughtfull about the process.

Also, as mentioned, if you constantly remove the whole fitting you will start to cause damage to the plasterboard opening.

I had now better go & replace my hall light bulb that has broken within the bayonet fitting but is 12 feet in the air, with my 6 foot ladder :p in this instance I will definitely be isolating the circuit.

As to the building industry, welcome to home ownership. What I find fascinating is that the original aprt of my old place (1860's) is excellent workmanship, the newer the mods / additions the shonkier it is, but over time & bundles of cash it is all fixable to a decent standard. Finding the right tradies can take time but there are good, honest, skilled people out there, may be a bit more expensive but will save you in the long run.

We need a home building / repair / reno section, could have all the tips & tricks in it, send out a call to Norbs.
I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zedmacca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Thanks for the welcoming :)

Ok, I've got to this point;
- the glass is off the front - it seems it was loosely attached already.
- the light bulb itself is now pushed in a bit
- I was able to tilt the whole inside part a bit
- I've tried as hard as I could to rotate it. It does not move (with gloves on to prevent cutting my hand up on the inside)

And I've half a kilo of dead bugs now spread on the kitchen floor. nice. I'll not try to change the one above the counter w/o some serious preparations :)

should I just try it with dynamite now, or what?? :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

Looks like it hasn't been changed for a good many years. Don't worry about the tilt, they just do that incase you want to aim the light across the room a bit - you can pull it back down.

If it were me, I'd get a flat head screwdriver and try and lever it against the inner ring (stick it inside and lever it so it presses down lightly on the ring?) at various points around it to try and loosen it up. If you had any WD40 you could spray a bit around it as well. Have faith that it will twist and do anything you can to make it happen :D (remembering anti-clockwise)

For the record, electricians have a special tool with little suction cups on it for when this happens :P
And the bugs thing always happens. Just don't have your mouth open while you are looking up at it. lol
It's been nice, chaps.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

I'm glad I have normal lights now because we blow them like crazy.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Takumi wrote:Looks like it hasn't been changed for a good many years. Don't worry about the tilt, they just do that incase you want to aim the light across the room a bit - you can pull it back down.

If it were me, I'd get a flat head screwdriver and try and lever it against the inner ring (stick it inside and lever it so it presses down lightly on the ring?) at various points around it to try and loosen it up. If you had any WD40 you could spray a bit around it as well. Have faith that it will twist and do anything you can to make it happen :D (remembering anti-clockwise)

For the record, electricians have a special tool with little suction cups on it for when this happens :P
And the bugs thing always happens. Just don't have your mouth open while you are looking up at it. lol
I'm sure it has never been changed before. The tilt did come back, thanks. I've now applied some wd40 and will try again :)
Anti-clockwise, roger roger!
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Finally! Got it out. Here's the fun part tho: it's not a twisting mechanism, it's two metallic latches which held it in place by the looks.
Also: I thought that the tilting part will all come out, but alas not, only the very middle ring came off.

Here's the result. Not sure what is the power rating of this thing now, though. :)

Edit; actually, the rating is barely visible under the more visible writing; 50W

Thanks for all the help, gents!