DIY Built-In Home Theatre Cabinet

Need a hand with a home project, how to fix that bloody roof leak, hang a door etc...
SE1Z

DIY Built-In Home Theatre Cabinet

Post by SE1Z »

Hey fellas!

Looking to build my own built-in cabinet.

Similar to this:

I need some help in the actual design.

The things I'm not too sure of:

* Support, For example.... The Amp is almost 20kg and is currently 'bowing' the cabinet it's in now. Trying to avoid this!
* I want everything hidden, so I need to think about cooling. The amp and PS3 both get pretty hot, especially if they are to be enclosed inside a cabinet.
* Access to wiring. I will need, from time to time, access to the amp/cd player/PS3 wiring. Best way? Hidden and Removable top panel?

Has anyone got any experience in anything like this?

My wife's uncle is able to build it for me, I just need to design it!
Steve
---
Cutter
Legend in his own lunchtime
Legend in his own lunchtime

Re: DIY Built-In Home Theatre Cabinet

Post by Cutter »

Dont thank me, happy to help....
Cutter ~ Carl Rickard

Quincy

Post by Quincy »

Sell all that crap at a garage sale.

Problem solved. ;)
balls & boobs. . .
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

1, Better to have it lower, as the bracing would be easier to do and more out of sight.

For 2 and 3, as above using a window, remotes still work if you set it up right for the receiver. As for cooling, one for example is passive, a false back to your cabinet, 2 holes/slits depending on your design styling top and bottom(5inches to the real wall, depending on thermal requirements) going the across the length also can be used for cable run, and or placing a cut out for the hole in the real wall being also used for the Display unit cabling and allowing for more thermal change.. or use the unit side divisions, leaving an inch or so gap at the top back, with cable tidys on the bottom to pass cables and flow.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

Design should be pretty easy......

Work out where you want the stuff located that will need a remote and that is where you need a glass door. Design around this to get the right flow and number of doors.

With the location of the amp shelf you can put extra supports under this section and install a kickboard similar to under kitchen cupboards which will hide and supports.

For heating and cable runs you can install something similar to the desk you have at work with a section you can flip up. This comes in a ventilated style so your heat should flow up and out of that :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

dvestate wrote:
For heating and cable runs you can install something similar to the desk you have at work with a section you can flip up. This comes in a ventilated style so your heat should flow up and out of that :)
Those little circle things are nowhere near enough for cooling my equipment....
All they are good for is running cable through - which again, is no good as I want it all hidden.

As Wobbles suggested, maybe a grate style across the top, towards the back AND keep the unit off the wall by a few inches as well.

Defo needs a lot of thought so I get something that suits our needs/requirements.
Steve
---
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

You dont need High air flow just flow, so it dont build to a critical mass, you could offset the doors and get air that way if you dont leave a gap at the rear also and lots of the combinations there of, but that opens you up for dust and noise from equipment.

The cable tidys are for cable management but mainly for looks, you can still offset the cables at the back and make them hidden.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

Not the circles..... The flip open lid for the cable tray. You can get that stuff in a grate instead of solid.

Shonky

Post by Shonky »

In regards to cooling and vents at the top rear, try and figure out a way to get vents at the bottom front so convection can draw cool air from the bottom through the cabinet and out the rear vents.

I don't believe you will get enough of the heat away with only a vent at the top rear.

Sent from my GT-I9100
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

SHoNKY wrote:In regards to cooling and vents at the top rear, try and figure out a way to get vents at the bottom front so convection can draw cool air from the bottom through the cabinet and out the rear vents.

Sent from my GT-I9100

Interesting.... Thanks!
This I will definitely do.
:tilt:
Steve
---
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

If you are building it into the wall at your place you can install some floor vents to draw the cool air from under the house. Only just logged into a PC to view this topic but the pic of what you have shown you can see the 2 vent area's they have installed.

If you are building it (or doing the design from someone else) you could always just get the grill plates, have a top routed so it sits flush and a hole 5-10mm smaller than the grate. You would be able to pull out the grate and get your hand down their for an cabling etc :)

Something like this is what you would use
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

Any idea where to get those style of grates?
Steve
---
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Seen different grates like the above hardware stores..

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

That was from a UK site - http://www.hafele.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finding an Aussie supplier is up to you

Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Hafele have an office in Braeside in Victoria if memory serves me correctly, bought something from them about 8-10 years ago in my previous job, they are a pretty large company so they may have an office in Sydney as well.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Hafele are a huge fitout company. Have never dealt with them personally but have specified their products on quite a few jobs. Their stuff is readily available for local builders so they must have a few distributors.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

http://www.hafele.com/au/news-and-events/6470.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

;)
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

dvestate wrote:If you are building it into the wall at your place you can install some floor vents to draw the cool air from under the house. Only just logged into a PC to view this topic but the pic of what you have shown you can see the 2 vent area's they have installed.

If you are building it (or doing the design from someone else) you could always just get the grill plates, have a top routed so it sits flush and a hole 5-10mm smaller than the grate. You would be able to pull out the grate and get your hand down their for an cabling etc :)

Something like this is what you would use

Make sure you use filters if your sub floor is dusty.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
richo

Post by richo »

This is my setup atm , i have another two speakers to go on the wall . There supposed to add additional effects so says Yamaha . And i wish i could fuck off all my wife's crap ( yes there family photo's ) .

I run a mix of sub's a 8" Energy for everyday and a 12" Velodyne for movies , the Velodyne is just too much for normal TV viewing.

PS : With my cabinet i have to have the doors open even though it has vents in the rear there just not up to.
[]D [] []v[] []D
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

Oh dear.....
Steve
---