Rounded bolt $#%^%^#!!

Need a hand with a home project, how to fix that bloody roof leak, hang a door etc...
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Rounded bolt $#%^%^#!!

Post by kwijibo »

I need to change the bottom radiator hose on my 4wd, which is a bit of a stretch for my mechanical skills, but anyway, before I can get to the hose I need the remove the bash plate underneath it.

A bolt was so rusted in place, the socket wrench rounded it off. So I went to bunnings and paid $50 for these "amazing" irwin bolt grip sockets. They don't work either. Tried to use an "easy out" screw bit but that doesn't stand a chance.

Short of drilling the entire bolt out (which will mean re-threading the hole) .. Anyone got any pro-backyard tips?
Bauer

Re: Rounded bolt $#%^%^#!!

Post by Bauer »

It is obviously rusted in there pretty well so short of drilling it out ( I have had success with an Easy Out many times) there isnt much else

Can you drill it out and replace it with a nut and bolt? Only useful if you can get above it to use a nut and bolt.

Does it need the bolt? Will it hang on fine with 1 missing? or can you put a bolt somewhere close by?
--------------
Stu
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

I can probably get a nut on the top actually so that might be a goer. Might have to make my 5th trip to the local bunnings this weekend haha
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

edit: double post
Last edited by kwijibo on Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Tack a smaller nut onto the end of the stripped bolt and try undoing it. Bit of WD40 wouldn't go astray
petey

Post by petey »

Drill it out + drill another hole + cable ties. ^-^

Err no, nothing useful to add. What Bauer said.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Bauer wrote: Easy Out
That!
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

norbs wrote:
Bauer wrote: Easy Out
That!
I have an Easy Out thing, but my corded drill doesnt have reverse (its old) and my cordless drill isn't powerful enough it seems. I dont have anything else that could hold it tight enough to twist
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Another way is the grind/file the bolt on two sides and get some other gripy thing you can fit in there like pliers. +WD40.

Was round, now has sides.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

wobblysauce wrote:Another way is the grind/file the bolt on two sides and get some other gripy thing you can fit in there like pliers. +WD40.

Was round, now has sides.
Unfortunately it's in a bit of a recess, so I can't get to it to grind it down
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

Was going to suggest cutting a slot to get a big flat head in there but if it is resessed that might not be an option...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

If you've got any bolt hanging out still, don't be scared to give it a good belting with a hammer before trying your next removal method, this can break the grip of the rust on the threads and relieves some tension under the bolt head as it stretches the bolt a little.

Sent from my GT-I9100
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

as r8 said, some lube will help alot. wd40 or I prefer Innox. Can you get a pair of multigrips to lock onto the head?
balls & boobs. . .
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

Things have gone from bad to worse. The EZ out has snapped off in the bolt. I have used a shitload of some expensive rust loosener shit. Supposed to be better than wd40/inox. This thing isn't budging!

These things http://www.irwin.com/tools/screw-bolt-e ... p-base-set" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; got a decent grip on it at first but it slipped and shaved more of the bolt off.. now it's too loose. Bloody things come in 11mm and 13mm and I need a 12! I think they'd work if they made the right size
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Time to drill the bitch out.

With all the time you are using on alternative methods, you'd probably have it out and re-tapped by now :melt:
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

Haha yes, but now that there is a EZ out stuck in there, I think I need some super drill bit? Should've just got a pro to change the hose in the first place!
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

kwijibo wrote:Haha yes, but now that there is a EZ out stuck in there, I think I need some super drill bit? Should've just got a pro to change the hose in the first place!
I may have missed it:

But what is the bolt holding on, and where is it? Just oxy the fucker out if you can.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

Its holding the bash plate on under the front of the car. The bolt is near the radiator. I don't have any oxy or the skills to use it :(

Is it bad for a radiator to sit without anything in it? I'm worried it's going to start rusting if I don't get this sorted soon
petey

Post by petey »

If there is absolutely nothing in the radiator it is no issue. If there is moisture or pure water sitting stagnant it is a problem. But serious rust will take quite some time. As a side note, factory bash plates are fairly weak and are a relatively non essential piece. Just drill it out ?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

A company called momar make a product called nutcracker, it will penetrate along the thread and actually eat a fraction of a mm of the bolt, it will also eat the tiniest bit of the female thread it goes in to as we'll. I've seen that shit free up bolts that looked like they were fused over , it's amazing stuff. Expensive though at about $50 for a standard size aerosol from memory.

Then u can still put nother bolt in, u might need to use. Bit of sealant or thread tape to get it nice and right though. But suss it out.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

kwijibo wrote:Is it bad for a radiator to sit without anything in it? I'm worried it's going to start rusting if I don't get this sorted soon
It can be a bad thing if you can see any residue on the internal surfaces, when this stuff dries it begins to flake off and the next time water hits it the flakes can all pile up in the tubes reducing flow or worst case block the tubes entirely.

Whenever I've needed to pull a radiator I typically lay it flat and fill it with water if it will be out of the vehicle long enough to dry out.

Sent from my GT-I9100