Car being serviced (issue covered by warranty) - Loan car

Need a hand with a home project, how to fix that bloody roof leak, hang a door etc...
plastik8

Car being serviced (issue covered by warranty) - Loan car

Post by plastik8 »

Hi Guys

Like the topic suggests, my car is being serviced under warranty for an on-going issue. The issue is the car intermittently will not start, most likely due to a bung immobiliser. This is the 3rd time it has been brought in to be looked at.

Today was the first time I asked for a loan car. They asked me to pay $45 / day for comprehensive insurance (to reduce the insurance excess to $0). The excess was apparently $5k if I didn't go for the $45 option.

Do you think that is reasonable? I'll happily pay the $45/d as it's still cheaper (just) than hiring a car myself, but wanted to see what others think. I did sign a form before leaving with the loan car (was in a bit of a rush), so I assume I'm now legally bound to pay the $45 a day. I wanted to know for the future if I should demand not to pay anything, as the original car is likely going to have to go in again.

Car is exactly 2 years old out of a 5 year new car warranty. Kia we are speaking.

Cheers!
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
petey

Re: Car being serviced (issue covered by warranty) - Loan ca

Post by petey »

Hmm, such a thing is not covered under the warranty? or even your own insurance?

Seems odd, I would personally expect no out of pocket expense when a car has a factory defect and you need to travel. However I suppose it really depends on what is written in your warranty. If it isn't covered they can choose to charge you what they like and you can take it up with uhh... ACCC?
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

The servicing is being done under warranty, no out of pocket expense.

I'm asking about the loan car essentially costing me $45/day... I understand that they don't really have a legal requirement to provide a loan car, but just wanted to know if it is common practise, or the servicing place being cheap.

Cheers for the reply though!
petey

Post by petey »

Well I have never been in the situation, however what I was sort of getting at is essentially it is entirely up to the workshop themselves, a loan car is a luxury. Sometimes they are complimentary, other times not an option. I believe it really just depends on the shop themselves, so if they want to charge you $45, there isn't much you can do about it.

As to whether that is a reasonable price I have no idea.

Probably something you knew already. Eh, I'm not entirely coherent. :)
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

petey wrote:Well I have never been in the situation, however what I was sort of getting at is essentially it is entirely up to the workshop themselves, a loan car is a luxury. Sometimes they are complimentary, other times not an option. I believe it really just depends on the shop themselves, so if they want to charge you $45, there isn't much you can do about it.

As to whether that is a reasonable price I have no idea.

Probably something you knew already. Eh, I'm not entirely coherent. :)
Haha :p

Yep, that was basically what I thought (that it was complimentary). I guess if I really wanted to I could have gone without the excess-removal fee and risked a $5000 excess, essentially making their loan car free (assuming no insurance claims!).

I wonder if other companies such as VW, Audi, BMW, Mercedes etc. have similar fees?
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

If you do go with the free option, just like a rental.. go over it with a fine tooth comb and get stuff checked off so you are not liable for anything that is already on the car, but I guess it is a bit late now.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

plastik8 wrote:
petey wrote:I wonder if other companies such as VW, Audi, BMW, Mercedes etc. have similar fees?
VW generally has poor customer service in this country so it's unlikely you'd get a free loaner.

The big three Germans will vary from dealer to dealer. Most you will get a loan car free of charge. Sometimes it will depend on whether you're driving something a bit further up their model line though. If you get one of the good dealers then they'll come and pick your car up from you and give you the loan car. No extra fees involved. Lexus has the best customer service and you're guaranteed to get the dealer dropping off the free loaner to you option. And with Lexus you also get a loan car that is at least as good as your own car, if not better. Makes sense to me - what better way to advertise your models further up the range?
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Part of our VW warranty is that roadside assist will drop a loaner car off and pick up yours and take it to your nearest dealer. Trouble is though, and you're right Exar, is that the customer service from the dealers are poor at best. Brisbane dealers are pretty good, more competition I guess, but anywhere outside are absolutely pathetic.

Squeaky wheel gets the oil Plastik8, depends how much you want to fight for it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Not sure about services - I've never had a new car under warranty with problems as such. But I guess it's complimentary as others said.

However, last time I did hire a car (albeit in NZ), the excess was significantly less than $5K, something like NZ $3k - and it was a ford falcon, not some shoebox of a car. I knew I'm not going to cause any damage to it, so I didn't go for extra insurance.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

When I was having the Forester serviced by Subaru I was given a loan car each time and this included when it went for warranty work, the only thing I had to do was bring it back full of fuel. No extra insurance costs etc.
WizardHat

Post by WizardHat »

Coming late to the party.

I'm a mechanic at a Mazda dealership. Our customers are given the option of a loan car when they book in for any kind of work to be done on their vehicle, it carries a charge of $33/day. The only time the loan cars are complimentary is if the vehicle has been brought to us for a safety recall to be carried out OR you whinge and carry on like a pork chop. Servicing/warranty work will incur the charge, our vehicle excess is only $1k should you find yourself in a spot of trouble.
The only thing we really need is a good tune, good view & a good brew.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

My local mechanic gives me a loan car. Just have to top up the fuel. My car is having the brakes done so I have a loan car now. It's a piece of shit Mazda that's about 20 years old, but it gets me from A to B when something is being done.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

As with dex, Non-Dealer Mechanic, just fill it up.

Both have a quick walk around to see whats on the car/if there is anything.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

Thanks everyone for your input / stories.

As an update; I was given a 2008 Ford Focus, and only had to pay the $45 fee once, even though I had it for 5 days. Drove about 160km and didn't have to fill it up either :)

So all in all was pretty happy with that :yes:
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

I know a few back in the day, when they got a rental would open up the dash and disconnect the trip.. and say.. drive from melb-bris and back and it would only read something like 150kms done, as you didn't want it to be 20kms as it would look suspect.

As pay as you go rental can be quite expensive.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ