OS Advice now EK's Canada trip log

Need a hand with a home project, how to fix that bloody roof leak, hang a door etc...
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Re: Travelling OS - General Advice

Post by VTRacing »

Exar Kun wrote:Thanks Dex!

Pretty much work all the way, durbs. I get in at 3pm on Wednesday arvo and the conference kicks off Thursday morning, finishes Saturday night and I'm on the 8am flight on Sunday morning (my airport shuttle leaves at 4:30am!!). I plan to skive off one afternoon, however, just to walk around the city a bit and maybe find a present to bring home for the little man that's not a crappy airport thing.
Take a rental car on your afternoon off and head up to Whangarei to visit us at the rally!

We arrive Wednesday (tomorrow) at about noon. :)

Not feasible I know, but kinda funny that we'll both be arriving in Auckland within a few hours of each other.
:teach:
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Haha - I totally would if I could! The problem with even getting one afternoon off is that I'm genuinely interested in attending all of the conference sessions - it's not just a way to get a free trip OS.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Well that was amazingly easy to get here. Although I did end up eating breakfast three times and then somehow missed lunch and went straight for dinner. Amazing how Auckland could be a city in Australia. Not much different really. Except that instead of picking up my baggage I had to "uplift" it. Oh, and everyone here speaks funny. :tilt:
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah, and such a quick flight, it really doesn't feel like you're in another country. But then again, flying to South America is only 14 hours from NZ. It's a lot I guess but considering its the other side of the globe, it messes with your head when you think about it.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Off to Canada eh tomorrow morning. Taxi booked for 4:50am and we land at 7:30am the same day nearly 20 hours later so it's going to be a long day. Dropped the little man off with my dad which is the hardest thing about going. On the plus side - nearly 3 weeks without a 2 year old around woohoo. Should be pretty fun. Just need to start packing now. :tilt:
richo

Post by richo »

Something i do when travelling is upload copies of Visa's and passports to both Google Drive and Dropbox along with any other relevant docs.

Probably not a super safe thing to do but amazingly handy is you lose a much needed doc.
[]D [] []v[] []D
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Have fun mate!! Those big hauls can be very draining. My trip to Quito took around 30 hours and had to leave at 3am, so only had a few hours sleep before it all started. I was delirious by the time I arrived at the hotel. What time of day will you finally arrive? It was awesome that it was about 11pm in Quito when I arrived, I could go straight to bed.

Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Having Friday morning brekkie in a foodcourt in Vancouver. Only got in a couple of hours ago and just sourced a sim card for the next few weeks.

Some stunning scenery flying in here.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Flying scenery? :eek:

Hope you're taking plenty of photos for us. My cousin lives there and it looks fantastic.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Awesome EK! Enjoy!

Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

No cheap internet at the hotel unfortunately so I've bought a day's worth so I can download F1 qually and then watch the race. Got a pre-paid sim card for the phone that only has 200mb of data for a month so will have to ration that. Here's some horrible photos mostly straight off the phone but anyway - this is our hotel for now. Pretty cool old building and very nice inside.

And we spotted this shop - long lost relos?

We appear to be in the posh end of town. Eating dinner last night I spotted an F458, Merc SLS in both convertible and coupe flavours, Bentley Flying Spur, MP4/12C, S63, SL65 and a whole heap of American muscle which is cool for now although I'm sure will get boring quickly.

Also saw these:

Didn't do much yesterday. I barely slept on the plane so spent the day in a zombie state trying to stay awake until a somewhat normal bed time to get things back in sync. Camera will be in hand today.