Professional resume writing services

Need a hand with a home project, how to fix that bloody roof leak, hang a door etc...
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Professional resume writing services

Post by nutty »

Anyone used one?

Ive had enough of my job, and I want to start looking around.. Seeing im not in a huge rush it gives me a chance to be picky.

I was working on my resume on the weekend and wasn't really happy with it, so was thinking of getting a pro to do it

Google has heaps, but I dont want to drop $300 without any feedback :(

Ta
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Re: Professional resume writing services

Post by wobblysauce »

Neg, Are you wanting to stay in the same field? or a more general open to anything.

As you normally focus and pin point on things or add some of there ad type wording into it.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Same field, Im having another pass at it today and ill send it to a few friends to review
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

It really depends what you're applying for. I know when I'm recruiting, long resumes shit me and it's mostly about the face to face contact, demeanour and what not. Obviously qualifications that are required, but a fancy resume isn't needed to tell me that.

Sent from my Nexus 5
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

yup, when we hire, my policy is: if you can't summarise your experience & qualification on one page, then you're probably not worth my time - you just want to waste it.
The last thing I want is an employee wasting my time. :)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Thanks for the advice, I think ill save my money and just spend more time on it!
Montey

Post by Montey »

When I'm hiring people I only get two things from resumes:

1. Is the applicant at least claiming to have relevant skills & experience.
2. Who do I know that might know them, or at least know someone who knows them. This is so I can make a 3rd party reference check on them before I can even interview them (i.e. Am I wasting my time talking to them because they know their shit, but their an arsehole to customers?)

As such, I find that resumes need to be tailored to the job you're applying for, with only relevant experience provided in detail, with other experience only listed in summary to demonstrate years of work and roundness of skillset.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Montey wrote: As such, I find that resumes need to be tailored to the job you're applying for, with only relevant experience provided in detail, with other experience only listed in summary to demonstrate years of work and roundness of skillset.
:up:
that's the right of it!
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

nutty wrote:Thanks for the advice, I think ill save my money and just spend more time on it!
That's damn fine financial advice. Put that on your resume! :p

Seriously, if you can keep it to a two pager with the criteria questions (if applicable) attached then I reckon you would raise your chances of it even being looked at in the fist place. Three to four pages in a pinch if you have stacks of experience. I think the comment from Montey about tailoring it to the job is bang on.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Montey wrote:I find that resumes need to be tailored to the job you're applying for...
If it is a job with a big organisation, go to their website and look for two things: their mission statement or whatever they call it and the corporate social responsibility policy.

Look hard. It will be buried in there somewhere.

Memorise them and then write your letter of introduction.

If you are successful and get as far as an interview, refract all your answers through their policies.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

I confirm that is excellent advice JD...

Our HR gurus lap that stuff up...
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Thanks.

Strangely enough, it is original. I've never heard of anyone else recommending it. I just thought about it when I was studying PR.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

I've written probably 50 odd Resume's for people over time, and from what I hear back, they have all been very successful. I think it's bullshit people charging $300 for it though, I normally charge a bottle..lol.

I find the 3-4 page Resume is about right, Keep as much of the fluffy shit out, no one cares what shitty certificate you got in year 8. Keep your Past employment brief and factual, List the main duties, not every single thing you ever did.

Like mentioned above, I find the letter of application is what will really sell you anyway.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Woops forgot about this thread! So I figured I would give an update
Great advice in this thread, that being said I spoke to heaps of people after posting this and decided against using a service, I sat down and went back over it and redid it.. while I was working it I got pinged about a new job through a old workmate..

Sent my new shiny resume in, did the normal interviews and it included some comments about how good my resume is and I got the job! happy days

From what Hz said I couldn't agree more, I cut out all the bullshit in my resume, its 3 pages + a little bit for my resume with references if I get pinged.

Follows this format

Name/Address/Details
2 short paragraph blurb full of buzz words
area of experience (bullet point of things I know)
Then I have my previous 3 jobs listed out, quick 1 paragraph blurb and then a list of Achievements followed by a short "role" section
Next 4 jobs have a single line with the title/company and dates
Certs
References

Done :) short and sweet

If anyone is keen I can flick mine over to have a look at
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

I am thinking of applying for a new job but i have only ever had one job and i only completed year 12 so i dont really know what i can fill a resume with?
Hello :aussie:
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Write down everything that you do in your job, literally everything. Then group them up into what they're under, for example: data entry and document formatting can go under computer skills etc. You'd be surprised what skills can carry across. Add external study on there as well as workshops or training that you've attended as well.

Sent from my Nexus 5
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Awesome. That's good advice. Thanks mate

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Hello :aussie:
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Do any of the guys who mentioned looking at resumes as part of their job (Montey, ysu etc) work in the Engineering fields?
I am now on the hunt for a job myself having been made redundant after 11 years thanks to the work load dropping through the floor and after a few weeks of sending out applications and hearing little in response I am wondering if there is something in my resume that is a bit lacking or am I just being impatient?
I'm guessing that in the current climate it is a real buyers market and that it is tough to make an impression so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Unfortunately working as a consultant I never gained a real specialty which I think may be hurting me now in terms of first impressions. I can get excellent references but I fear I am not getting to that stage of the process yet.
I realise I am now going to have to sell my house and move on (can cover the payments for a long time yet but just in terms of flexibility), people are losing jobs all over town here so hopefully I can get out in front of the wave but I fear this might be a long process.
XLV SPORT
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

sorry to hear that Jiminee. Shoot Nutty a PM. As above, he has offered to share his resume for anyone that wants a look at his layout :up:
--------------
Stu