Watts an Ohms, Car audio

Need a hand with a home project, how to fix that bloody roof leak, hang a door etc...
pab

Watts an Ohms, Car audio

Post by pab »

Hi Gents, after a bit of advice/explanation from someone more in the know than me.

I've never really understood all the power stuff in audio gear, and I'm about to put together a simple system for my van, and need help selecting parts that will be compatible and suited to each other.

I'm keen to keep the look of the unit in era, so I'm looking at getting one of these (http://www.retrosoundusa.com.au/index.p ... tail&p=737" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). I gather I'm paying a bit of a premium for the retro look, but I'd really rather not have a unit with flashing coloured lights all over it in the van.

So, then I need speakers, this is where things get confusing for me. Specs of the unit says: 24 watts x 4 RMS / 45 watts x 4 peak power output so does that mean that any speakers rated around 50 Watts and higher will be fine?

Does it also mean that there's no gain from going higher than 50?

Would 200 watt speakers perform the same as 50, better, or worse in this situation?

What about resistance, what do I need to consider here?

Here's the list of speakers available from the same supplier: http://www.retrosoundusa.com.au/index.p ... t_list&c=6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm looking at these, based mostly on size and depth given where I'm planning to fit them in the van:

Front: http://www.retrosoundusa.com.au/index.p ... tail&p=152

Rear: http://www.retrosoundusa.com.au/index.p ... tail&p=151

These are single voice coil, is that appropriate, or would double be better (and if so, why)?

They also list a subwoofer unit: http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/details/id/213 (it was on the Australian site yesterday, seems to be gone today, but I could look at grabbing it down the track when it's available again). I gather you can hide these away out of sight, I'd probably look at putting it in the boxed in area under the rear seat, mounted to the back of the wooden (18mm ply) kickboard under the seat, given that some people put them in their boot I assume this would be fine?

If anyone can suggest a different brand of any of these components that would be a better option please let me know (but bear in mind that the low profile of the speakers is a must for the mounting positions I have in mind).

Any input/advice appreciated, thanks.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
Quincy

Re: Watts an Ohms, Car audio

Post by Quincy »

I would personally not bother with a sub woofer. . . you would really need an amplifier to do it justice....

The rest I'd say, you have sorted.... don't need 200 watt speakers , again, you'd need an amplifier.
balls & boobs. . .
pab

Post by pab »

I gather the sub has a built in amp in the box doesn't it?

http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/details/id/213
Amplifier Stage
Output Power @14.4 V: 100 Wa s RMS / 200 Wa Max S/N Ra o: > 100 dB
Input Sensitivity: 100 mV - 6.0 V
Frequency Response: 50 Hz - 160 Hz
Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.1%

But having said that, year, I reckon I'll give the sub a miss for now, and keep it as an optional extra down the track. I'll run the wiring under the floor to where I'd mount it, then I can add it at any time if I want to. Thanks for the info Quince.
PB
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

Ahh, if only I clicked the link for the sub!! Yes, it is powered and amplified seperately.... still, to match its output with front speakers, you would have to increase their watts and amplify them, otherwise the sub would overpower the weaker front speakers.

A simple system is headunit plus 2 or 4 speakers, a complicated system (expensive) is bigger speakers and amplifying them.
I think the simple system would suit your van better. Don't really need that window vibrating dossh dossh effect do you??
balls & boobs. . .
pab

Post by pab »

No, you're right, will go with the simple 4 speaker system and see how it performs.

Ta.
PB
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Easy,
Standard 2 or 3 way setup of which one fits the doorcards best.

Med,
Depending on the Van and seat heights, go for a slim 10" under seat.

as it is a 24wx4 way
front 2 speakers
rear sub no real need for amp unless you get something big / a nicely sealed bigger 2way for the lows.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

A couple of good quality 6x9's should provide more than enough bass without it going stupid (doof doof)
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

ya, a good sealed area on the new ones work well.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
pab

Post by pab »

OK, sounds good, thanks gents. I've put in an order, given the sub a miss for now, I figure we can add it later if I want to.
PB