Wisdom teeth removal

Need a hand with a home project, how to fix that bloody roof leak, hang a door etc...
TIMMY30

Wisdom teeth removal

Post by TIMMY30 »

G'Day all,

Bottom 2 wisdom teeth are killing me. Was.told 6 months ago a surgeon will need to remove them as its too complicated to be done in the dental office.

I have to travel Thursday week (the 19th) to Adelaide.

Does anyone here have any idea once a referral is handed over how quickly somebody can get in for surgery?. Obviously ill be spending a shitload of money but i need this done by the end of this week to allow enough recovery before travelling.

Would this be too optimistic? Obviously i know it would depend on surgeons schedule etc but just wanting to know if anyone has been through anything similar?

Cheers all,

Tim
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Re: Wisdom teeth removal

Post by wobblysauce »

Private, could be done same day, you ask.

Public, not much hope, unless you are lucky to get a cancellation and are near by.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

I dont have private health but im willing to fork out the 3 or so grand to get it done asap. Which is essentially private yeah?
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

I'm sort of in the same boat. Need top and bottom wisdom teeth on the left removed. Managing the pain at the moment via Panadine Extra

Keen to hear how it all goes afterwards!
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Have an appointment with oral surgeon tomorrow arvo. Ball is rolling but doubt ill be operated on and healed by travel time. Will have to use drugs to keep it under control for the next 2 weeks i reckon
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Going to try and wait till after i go to Adelaide. Could potentially have had it done today (Wednesday) but he said he didnt want to risk me not being right to travel and having a shit weekend away. Just taking antibiotics to kill any infection and panadene forte to keep the pain at bay.

He's going to do it in his chair rather than at hospital so.ill save $2500 without a hospital visit and an anasthesist.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I did each side separately about a month apart so I could still chew on one side whilst the other was healing. Also had it just done in the chair. The actual removal wasn't too bad (although one tooth on either side decided to break apart so took a fair while to get out) but I got dry socket both times which was horrible. It happens when the blood clot dislodges and leaves the nerve exposed. Nothing I could take stopped the pain - not even large doses of Endone. Just had to stick through the 4 or 5 days it took to start to heal over.

Fingers crossed it all goes well mate! :)
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Yep, all depends on how the root is attached.. some are really wrapped around the jaw bone, and others are barely touching.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Well. 4 hrs since it was done. Still a bit numb but the pains starting to come through. Got some endone for if the pain gets too bad.

Id say it will be bad as they had some real trouble with the bottom 2. The bloke was using alot of force and had to drill them into pieces. Would be rather traumatic for someone who wasnt a fan of the dentist for sure.

Will keep updating if anyones interested!
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Take the endone before it gets worse. Better to have it absorbed and working before it hits.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

r8response wrote:Take the endone before it gets worse. Better to have it absorbed and working before it hits.
So much this! You want the endone to be working before the local wears off or you won't get on top of the pain.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

That is if Endone and the other stuff works for you :(

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Took endone 2 hrs ago and now im sweating like a fat kid in a candy store and its not even hot. Bloody hell. Feel like shit!
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Strange timing, I have a wisdom annoying me at the moment. I only have one, and periodically it starts to bother me... Usually calms down in a week or so, so never bothered to have it out. That, and last time i went to the dentist they said it would cost $2000 or something ridiculous.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Hey mate. Doesn't sound right for 1 tooth unless that's going into hospital and being done under a general anasthetic.

My 3 (bottom 2 and top right) cost $1300 to be done by an oral and maxillofacial surgeon but i was awake, just numbed.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah it seemed pretty damn expensive to me too. If it gets bad enough I'll get my gf to help me out. She's a dental hygienist.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

That's perfect haha
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

You mean she is going to smack you in the face?

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Could probably line that up if I get her drunk enough.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

One of mine died a few months ago. No symptoms worth speaking of (and I've had a tooth die before).

Not sure what I'm supposed to do at this stage. The dentist knows about it but his advice was a bit vague.

I think it'll probably have to come out in the chair.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

What is meant by died? Ive never heard of a tooth 'dying'?
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

TIMMY30 wrote:What is meant by died? Ive never heard of a tooth 'dying'?
The nerve inside the tooth simply dies. Unfortunately, it's a great space for bacteria to fester and cause an infection.
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

Root canal treatment would be the likely course of action for a dead nerve rather than pull the tooth. Root canal clears out the dead tissue, treats with anti-biotic and fills up the root to prevent future infection. I've had a couple of these over the years. Unfortunately, its not something I would look forward to.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

When it comes to wisdom teeth i'm almost certain they'd pull it over do a root canal. They're not needed and its far cheaper to pull than root canal
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

Ah, I didn't realise JD's was a wisdom tooth. My mistake.