Network Bridge info/help

Need a hand with a home project, how to fix that bloody roof leak, hang a door etc...
c.j
Midget Wanker

Network Bridge info/help

Post by c.j »

So we have the NBN connected but because I am renting, whilst we search for a property I can work from at home, we had to put the NBN "box" in the garage. So the Optus modem is there and that's fine for wi-fi through the house but we were given Optus Fetch TV in the bundle and it needs to be connected by a lan cable. There are other things in the lounge room I would like to have connected to the internet as well, foxtel, consoles etc.

My question is should I pay for someone to come out and put a connection between the garage and the lounge room so I can move the modem? Or can I have a wi-fi bridge that I can then connect my devices to?

Complete newbie at this kind of thing so any advice would be much appreciated? I understand a little what the bridge is doing, but it's connecting it and having it all work smoothly that I have no-effing idea about. If I have a bridge does that create a secondary network of sorts and will that cause any conflicts?

I am leaning towards the wall outlet, I have permission from the owners but I like the bridge idea because I can take it with me.

Come at me oh-knowledgeable-ones....
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Re: Network Bridge info/help

Post by ysu »

Since you need at least one device connected up with an ethernet cable, maybe an Eop (ethernet over power) device could be useful - so long as you've a power point in the garage. This is essentialy a wired network on a wire already in the house - the power.
I'm using tp-link av500 ones here, they work perfectly well. ( http://www.mwave.com.au/product/tplink- ... it-ab55609 )

You can also have multiple different of these devices working together (not just two) extending your network to a lot of rooms via wire. Some even come with wifi capable end-points, if you, like me, want to have a decent wifi for the phones in the bedroom :)

Or you can do the cabling.

Anything is better than having a wifi connection. Wifi is not very reliable and rather laggy.

As for the network topology; hopefully someone with more networking knowledge will help :)
Last edited by ysu on Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Um, wow. How does that work with power already running through the connection? I am a sparky by trade and that boggles my little brain. Thanks though YSU, I am going to go read about that. :yes:

;)
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Very simple.
Plug it in on both ends, push the button so they find each other, and done. :)

No idea of the actual tecnhical details, sorry!
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Holy shit, yup, that looks like that will do it. I just had one of those "just crawled out from under a rock" moments. Thanks again. Ebizzle, fo shizzle!

;)
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

In the early days of EoP (not that long ago really), when using them you had to make sure both outlets were on the same phase. Not sure if that's still the case.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

From what I've read they can work across phases now, albeit with reduced performance.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

r8response wrote:In the early days of EoP (not that long ago really), when using them you had to make sure both outlets were on the same phase. Not sure if that's still the case.

Same phase or same circuit?

I still dont get how they manage to work on different circuits, as some claim. If that is the case, surely your neighbour could join your network?
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

norbs wrote:
r8response wrote:In the early days of EoP (not that long ago really), when using them you had to make sure both outlets were on the same phase. Not sure if that's still the case.

I still dont get how they manage to work on different circuits, as some claim. If that is the case, surely your neighbour could join your network?
Worth a try :)
But you need to pair them up first - which obviously can be done only with the owner's permission :)
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

norbs wrote:

Circuit sorry.

Most of the adaptors are actually encrypted these days and need to be "paired". So someone nearby couldn't plug one in from the same manufacturer and use your net.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Well I am completely impressed. Bought the kit, it worked straight out of box. Nothing works straight out of the box, but this did and holy shit. So my wifi zone has doubled, I have a set top box in every room with TV and it's allowed me to use this optus thingy that came with my internets, on the line. :)

Thanks YSU. I owe beer. I spent all day trying to figure out in my head how they can do that given the amount of "noise" that would be on the copper.

And it's got me thinking why the feck they don't do this in cars? Although low voltage CAN signals would need to be delivered error free, but surely this tech idea would help reduce the amount of wiring and crap in a vehicle in the future.

aaaaaaaannd, it makes me wish I had done a lot better at school, who ever developed this would be shouting his mates for life.

;)
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Glad it helped you, too. :)
It was a bit of a revelation for me, too, when I first heard of it - and then installed it.
Not quite as snappy & fast as ethernet would be, but for home use it's almost as good.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

It's quick enough for me mate. Netflix, Youtube and the playstation for the kids. Works a treat. I have even convinced my bro to get it as well. ha, you should be on commission.

;)
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Good stuff :up: ;)
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

You've talked me into it too. I just have one question.

How would this go in an apartment block where my neighbours might be on the same circuit? I assume they would still have to pair with my devices before they could start downloading stuff that would get me locked up...
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Yes, devices can't see each other without being paired up. There's only a couple of minutes window to do that, so chances are slim for that to happen even on the same circuit.

I've now bought another couple of these, and installed the two new ones upstairs. One came with a wifi extender.
All 4 can see each other now (or rather; one "provides" the connection the others suckle on) and I got perfect wifi in the other corner of the house on the upper floor for the phones. It's bloody useful.