Installing window/wall air conditioner

Need a hand with a home project, how to fix that bloody roof leak, hang a door etc...
Montey

Installing window/wall air conditioner

Post by Montey »

Hi All,

Our old/ancient window/wall air conditioning unit was on the verge of burning the house down so I have decided to replace it.

I have removed the old unit and its casing (leaving a dirty great hole in the wall) and have shimmed and installed the new units casing.

The thing I am struggling with, if anyone has any insights, is how the -feck- do you lift almost 60kg of air conditioner guts to 5ft in the air to line it up straight for insertion in to the casing?

My wife and I tried all sorts of sane & insane ideas but all of them got progressively more stupid and we have given up on the grounds of sanity.

Any ideas?
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
Santaria

Re: Installing window/wall air conditioner

Post by Santaria »

We just used to man handle it up there. Once you get the arse into the casing, it's easy going from there. I can't think of anything that would go high enough other than a gyorock jack/lifter for a roof. Small enough to fit into your house.

Mostly they're heavy just on the compressor side. You can rest that side on the steps of the ladder and you and your TA should be able to step it up until it's high enough? I dunno what else to be honest. We definitely had some heavy ones and we just... Managed I guess. Never gave it any thought, lol.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

60kgs? I think I'm thinking of something else then.

I thought of a car jack (height issue I know) or simply have more people involved. Then I pondered silly ideas with a ladder and even building a inverted pully system but really I'm interested in others thoughts.

What did you buy, I'm shocked it's ~60kgs worth :)
Montey

Post by Montey »

The unit is a 5.3KW air conditioner.

The previous unit was only around a 1kw-1.5kw, but the decision of what to replace it with was mostly driven by the size of the existing hole in the wall. I really didn't want to have to start filling in bricks as well, so the thing that seemed simplest was to find a unit that was physically the same size and jam that in.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Makes sense :)
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Maybe something here: https://www.kennards.com.au/lifting-and ... nches.html

I had enough trouble with installing a 30kg heatpump clothes dryer onto a chest height shelf. It was a bitch of a two man job.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
Montey

Post by Montey »

Getting a lift from Kennards might be what I need to do.

I have decided to put my manliness to the side and have called in Jim to give me a hand (Jim's Handyman service).
Montey

Post by Montey »

For the sake of closure....

Jim rocks!

With a little bit of assistance from one of Jim's minions we got the supporting brackets fitted, lifted the guts, and the unit slotted in to its case with minimal effort. Yay!

I then turned the unit on and it just about blew me across the other side of the room.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Hehe. Sounds like you're all set for these hot days. Nice!
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Well for the money I assume you paid I'm glad you got blown straight away.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

There's a 2 1/2 horsepower AC in the wall here. Took 4 of us to lift it 6 foot as the house is on stumps. Not keen to get that sucker out.

Get some mates over to lift it out :yes:
Minister for Religious Genocide.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

More person power..
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.