Socket set troubles

Need a hand with a home project, how to fix that bloody roof leak, hang a door etc...
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Socket set troubles

Post by smithcorp »

Hi all - I have a sea kayak that needs the front grab handles replaced. The handle is held on by bolts with lock nuts, with the lock nuts inside the boat. I can't reach the nuts from the hatch, so I got a long extension piece that looks like this: Image

Into the end of this I can fit an angled adapter like this:

that theoretically allows me to fit a socket that will get me onto the nut. However, I'm stuffed if I can find the male socket piece that will let me attach a socket onto the end of the adapter - I need a male to male socket that lets the end of my contraption look like this.

Any ideas?
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Re: Socket set troubles

Post by ysu »

I fail to see where the problem is.
Why do you need a male end at the top?

Normally with these sort of setups you put the socket onto the male end of #1 extension rod.
Then connect the #2 angled adapter male to the #1 extension female.
Then the #3 plugs into the remaining female end and bob's your uncle.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

The area I need to work in is narrow and shallow (I wasn't clear in my explanation). I need the length to reach the nut, but then I need the socket to be at 90 degrees to the wrench. I've added a sketch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Ah, I see.
I reckon all you need is a piece of pipe, simply, to put on the handle of the wrench to extend it. We've used that solution often. If it's exactly at 90 degrees at the end it's the ratcheting socket handle (#3) what you need there, it's perfect.
Otherwise use the angle attach (#2) at the end. That'll be a pretty tough one since the nuts are on the upper side - maybe having the kayak upside down on something - to prevent the socket slipping off - and coming in from below would make it easier in that case.

There are special tools like this below, but I don't think you really need that, only a pipe to extend the handle.

Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Cheers ysu
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Unsure why you need to extention and swivel though, looking at that drawing.

Extendable flex ratchets are great...
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.