Setups

iRacing
brocko

Re: Setups

Post by brocko »

Righteous wrote:Hey, quick question. Is searspoint the same as infinion? I'm looking for the GH setup for the skip, but I only have sears...
yep
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I used the same setup everywhere in the Skip, except Lime Rock where I have the right hand side tyre pressures a little lower.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Righteous wrote:Hey, quick question. Is searspoint the same as infinion? I'm looking for the GH setup for the skip, but I only have sears...
it is indeed

Sears Point is what it was called for years. Sonoma to some. Infineon is its name now

bit like Wanneroo is now Barbagello I guess
--------------
Stu
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

anyone still finding great sets for the skippy? and other cars?

I am interested to try these GH sets....
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Sin wrote:anyone still finding great sets for the skippy? and other cars?

I am interested to try these GH sets....
i posted all the sets i could find a month or so back, look for the setup pack thread
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Sin:
Greger himself posted on the redline forums that with the skippy the setup does not mean much. You just need to find "your" set, one you're comfortable with. Ah, you need to lower the tyre pressure from the orig value, that's for sure.
I usually soften the rear bar (1) and have the packers or what they called around 0-4 depending on my mood. On the previous track for learning I've lowered it into -4, that track was really bad. The effect is; the higher the value, the lower the front ride height. Some say lower front ends are faster, too.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
thornz

Post by thornz »

What is the best way to help increase tire temps early on? At VIR in the skippy, its takes me about 4 laps to get the tires up to temp, which isnt too good on only a 14 lap race. I just cant find the time in the first few laps, usually in the low 14s, high 13s. Once they are up to temp, I can lap pretty consistently in the low twelves. :burn:
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I know what you mean with that mate. A good first flying lap (so lap 2 of the race) is a 1:12.7 or so for me. After that I can usually push much harder but I'm not sure there's any good way to bring temps up faster. Increasing tyre pressures has a bad effect on the cars handling and that's what I'd normally do to get the tyre working quicker.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Don't you drop pressure to get temps up quicker? More tyre flex means they generate more heat?
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I don't seem to have this problem :scratch: Last nights race I was only half a second off my pb on the first flyer after I had to reset.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Righteous wrote:Don't you drop pressure to get temps up quicker? More tyre flex means they generate more heat?
I've heard that with regards to LFS before a long time ago but I'm not sure how true it is. I distinctly remember in 2003 at the Monaco GP, Ralf had higher initial pressures so he could get his tyres up to temp faster and get away from pole and build a lead. Higher than Montoya, that is, who was able to claw back the gap as his tyres came up to temp and Ralfie's overheated. I've heard it mentioned elsewhere too but can't think of anymore examples.

The tyre moving around thing has always made more sense to me in my head though so I'm not sure what the real answer is?
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Speed

Post by Speed »

As far as I know higher pressures will raise the temps more quickly but lower pressures will ultimately end up hotter.
http://500px.com/Warren_Joyce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

Does anyone have a set-up that tames the Road legends? This week i had to stop mid-race as i was exhausted after about 15 mins of driving these things.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

you guys are much quicker than me..

I am stoked running high 13's are VIR in skippy... the set i have from team redline seems very nice to me... but i have nothing to compare it too
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

the skippy is not a setup-car. The only thing it needs fairly well set is the tyre temps, the rest is up to preference, and it'll do the same laptimes. I've posted my setup somewhere around...anyway here it is again if you'd like to try:

Brakes 54% front
Spring Perch +8
Tyre Pressures 165 / 152 Kpa (f/r)
ARB 5

You can create a lot of under- or over-steer, simply playing with the tyre pressures. One or two clicks make a difference. (mostly the rear)
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Yeah, tyre pressures are the main thing in the skippy, though having the rear arb at 8 gives an improvement as well. It stops it from bogging down in the slow corners as much.

The optimum tyre pressure is 23psi/158kPa, so you should try to stay as close to that as you can. I usually run 158kPa rear and run 158, 161, or 166 front depending on how much oversteer I want, though last time at Laguna I had to run 158 front, 154 rear to get more oversteer.

I'm running 5-6 spring perch atm. I've tried 8-10 and while it's controllable due to being more responsive to steering, I get a bit too much power on understeer.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Darren, did you have a source for the optimum tyre pressure, or have you just watched the temps across or similar?
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Just from laptimes and driving, as well as several others coming to the same conclusion. If I go higher or lower I'm slower. Not by much, but enough to make it a clear sweet spot.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

cool, thanks. I should probably have moved my rear up one tick then...too late :D
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Anyone visit Sim-Chassis? I can't see any setups anymore, have they made a minimum post count or something?
pab

Post by pab »

If you read through this thread you'll probably have a reasonable idea what happened to the setups.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

thats a complete load of shit.
flagger

Post by flagger »

NeilPearson wrote:thats a complete load of shit.
???

Thanks Darren, i was at 165kPa on all tyres for VIR but just tested with 156kPa and I feel more comfortable now. Dunno if its placebo but I feel like a have more of a safety margin when entering mid to high speed corners.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

the thread pab posted to flagger
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Sarsippius wrote:Anyone visit Sim-Chassis? I can't see any setups anymore, have they made a minimum post count or something?
yes. I've tried to see if there's a new mazda set, but it was still the very old one. They prolly gave up?