iRacing Chat

iRacing
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

iRacing Chat

Post by Fandango »

Thought I'd start a chat thread. :D

Just found this post from John Henry while perusing the official forums. Explains a little behind the cost but more importantly shows how serious they are about this sim and it's ongoing development.
"I'm glad Dave and I didn't take the attitude that it's too expensive. Sure we knew it was going to be expensive. But we really thought the overall project was worth the expense. Now we know we were correct. I think we have more than $18,000,000 invested thus far and we're going to invest a lot more. It's absolutely worth it to create this sport. We love what we're doing and this is exactly what we want to do. We now know beyond a shadow of a doubt that we are going to create exactly what we've been talking about since day one - day one.

People still don't know exactly what we are going to offer. How could they? We're announcing things one step at a time. People haven't really run in divisions yet or seen what competing for the World Cup of iRacing is going to be like. I don't think anyone should rule out the excitement those are going to bring until you've had a chance to participate.

My apologies, and I mean it, to those who don't think there is enough value at this point. We have been really slow to implement Club competition and the Clubs aren't large enough to have a real impact on members - they still don't have any infrastructure of setup experts, instructors, strategists, psychologists, orthopedics, liasons, bloggers, reporters, statisticians and nurses. Our stats right now are still very rudimentary as are the standings (no division standings for instance as yet or the ability to see who is scoring what for the Clubs).

So I think we would all agree that a lot of fun features are still to be implemented. How many will be implemented over the next month? I can't say. But they will happen.

To anyone saying, "It's too expensive or their isn't enough value at this point" - we understand it's not cheap and we know that you will be pulling for us just the same. We'll be pulling even harder for you to rejoin someday. You've been terrific and we've been listening.

We're just not large enough a company to accomplish all that we have with all the cars and tracks and infrastructure and behind-the-scenes testing necessary to make this a 24/7 global service and still be able to get far enough for some of you. It's been slow. But the most difficult parts are now behind us. You've seen just in the last month a lot more visible progress.

The posts about all the worries about licensing and other possible things that could happen, are justified. But they are only justified if you have reason to believe that we aren't dead serious about this.

Finally, I again want to thank the strength of character of all of the testers here who once again showed they are not going to bash those who are critical. Don is right. Your criticisms are helpful. But we can't do anything about a lot of them - at least right now.

I'm going to be out for about a week with some minor surgery - nothing life threatening. But it just reminds me that we are set even if something were to happen to Dave or to me. We've spent a long time planning the long-term future of this enterprise. A good sanctioning body like NASCAR, for instance, is built for the long-term and to live on even when their founders retire or pass away.

So, I'm making the point that there's no hurry to sign up with us for this ride as it unfolds. We'll be here when and if you can return. And everyone here right now will be really happy to see your name again out on the track.

See you in a week,
John"
linky
http://members.iracing.com/iforum/threa ... 077&#70077
Fandangas,Fang,Fangas,Bangas,Fanny,Fan,Fandsy,Fandangdiddlyo........
Scottie

Re: iRacing Chat

Post by Scottie »

nice post
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

We have been really slow to implement Club competition and the Clubs aren't large enough to have a real impact on members - they still don't have any infrastructure of setup experts, instructors, strategists, psychologists, orthopedics, liasons, bloggers, reporters, statisticians and nurses.

I must say the Club aspect sounds interesting.

I look forward to the day an Australian club is formed and if we are lucky with the Aussie numbers imagine Aussie State Clubs :)
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

KNAPPO wrote:
We have been really slow to implement Club competition and the Clubs aren't large enough to have a real impact on members - they still don't have any infrastructure of setup experts, instructors, strategists, psychologists, orthopedics, liasons, bloggers, reporters, statisticians and nurses.

I must say the Club aspect sounds interesting.

I look forward to the day an Australian club is formed and if we are lucky with the Aussie numbers imagine Aussie State Clubs :)

Hells yeah. Gotta get reppohc on this flyin the flag for WA. Think me and Neil are the only ones here at Arse. Seen a few more on the official forums though.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

meanwhile, i just took the Silver Crown for a spin around Lowes, I can tell you this much, big oval track racing is gonna be fun. The things move around a lot. Awesome sounding machine. 800bhp for the win, 2 gears of pure pleasure, 180mph.. woohoo
Mr.Ferret

Post by Mr.Ferret »

gota 3rd place! in my 3rd race haha, slightly made up for my absmal 2nd race
iRacing Name - Joshua Brown2
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

meanwhile again, just had some fun in the radical at summit point. I have to say the radical is THE greatest car i have ever driven in ANY sim... fricken sensational. Buy it, Try it.
Speed

Post by Speed »

The Radical is indeed awesome & while we're talking awesome I recommend some laps at Virginia East...wow, what a great track. :)
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Just did my first qualification, fucking no idea what im doing I just finished my laps, drove into the pitlane spun out in there and quit.. not the sessions still running.. dammit this game does not suit drunk driving
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

Might use my 15 credit from signin up for a year to get radical I reckon :)
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

Joined a 1.00pm race today ready for Limr Rock and pull out the pits at Summit Point lol!

Gotta say I really like the track. Should be fun this week :)
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

lol fandy.

Im getting closer to 3.0 in my road, 2.87 will be there by today. :D

and far out, Late model at south boston = awesome.
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

Yeah i havnt got into oval at all so far but i will. just tryin to get to 4.0 on road. Then i prob work towards the late models... look like fun.
thornz

Post by thornz »

Speed wrote:The Radical is indeed awesome & while we're talking awesome I recommend some laps at Virginia East...wow, what a great track. :)
Just bought this track and been doing some laps in the formula mazda. I think this is the hardest track I have ever driven in a Sim ever, so many blind crests, no idea where the road goes, been on it the last hour or so and have yet to finish one lap without going off track somewhere. Even though I know where all the corners go now, its just soo bloody difficult to get it right! So frustrating, but fun at the same time!
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

sounds like the norbourg ring
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

I'm enjoying summit point. i cant believe its a real track though.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Summit is mad fun. I can't seem to keep up with people there (29.6 is best) but it's the best track for the (advanced) solstice so far.

I can't believe I finally cracked 4.0 SR and the first track to drive the Skippy on is Virginia East - insane! Way too much to learn in the limited time I have. New car, new track with a 3 minute plus lap. The beta testers would have had plenty of time on the smaller layout to gradually get used to it but it's a lot of track to learn in one go. Still mad fun though. :D
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Mr.Ferret

Post by Mr.Ferret »

im freaking terrible at this haha, pretty sure someone wanted to report me as well or something uurrghh
iRacing Name - Joshua Brown2
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

I just had a race a summit point only had 1 incident, won the race but somehow lost SR... What's up with that?
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

did you have a previous session where u had a few incidents and didnt do many laps?

I had a qual thing, and got frustrated, ended up with about 5 points, then in teh race i did i had 3 points and lost SR.

but in a race i just did now, i had 4, and gained alot.... like 0.2....
Tim Wheatley
Face like a pie
Face like a pie

Post by Tim Wheatley »

thornz wrote:
Speed wrote:The Radical is indeed awesome & while we're talking awesome I recommend some laps at Virginia East...wow, what a great track. :)
Just bought this track and been doing some laps in the formula mazda. I think this is the hardest track I have ever driven in a Sim ever, so many blind crests, no idea where the road goes, been on it the last hour or so and have yet to finish one lap without going off track somewhere. Even though I know where all the corners go now, its just soo bloody difficult to get it right! So frustrating, but fun at the same time!
VIR is all about that kind of feeling. I both love and hate the place at the same time, but still find I am addicted to running there!
http://members.iracing.com/iforum/threa ... 0&tstart=0
VIR... My nemesis!

This is one of the most enjoyable tracks I have ever seen. But every configuration, as I drive around, I half love it and half hate it. I love the circuit, I hate how many mistakes I make.

Take a look at my last few races. I've always had an OK safety rating but in every race this week (so far) I have had up to 17 incidents per race I think and my iRating is dropping like a stone. I've only had one incident that involved someone else, I think, and I'd like to say sorry for that one, the rest of the time I just put a wheel on the dirt and wheeeeeeeeeee! I spin, spin, spin over that white line at the edge of the racing surface.

Mind you, just now I had to answer the phone and quit the race to do so, but check that race result when posted and I probably have more incidents than the rest of the field put together and I only did a few laps of the race! ;)

It's funny because ever since trying VIR in the early alpha I thought to myself how tough the track was for me and I have maybe given myself a mental complex about it... It's pretty funny really as I've never found something so hard, yet wanted to go back and do it badly all over again!
Tim Wheatley
Face like a pie
Face like a pie

Post by Tim Wheatley »

Righteous wrote:I just had a race a summit point only had 1 incident, won the race but somehow lost SR... What's up with that?
Did you do anything in the warm up or after the race? That counts.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

No nothing, only the 1 point. Perhaps I went off in warm up but I don't think I did. Would that be on the tally at the end? When I look at the stats it only showed 1 point all i did was drop a wheel on the grass. Confusing. I'm not too fussed about it, it's just got me confused, I was all excited thinking my rating would go up but then I looked at the stats and it had dropped.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

With 5.9 avg. incidents per race you're SR has probably leveled out at the point where any incident will drop your rating a bit.

Looking at your stats you've been racking up a shitload of incidents in your qualifying and time trial sessions. Try to cut those out as well and your SR will start going up again :)
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

He he he, yeah I have been going hard core in Qual and time trial. I guess I should tone it back a bit. Will I need to do more qual and time trial to negate that? Or if I just leave it alone and do races will it go up?