Question about iRacing

iRacing
Dr. Pain

Question about iRacing

Post by Dr. Pain »

I've only just started to play this a day ago. Being a new member during the holiday season I paid $14 for a month and got 2 months free. I was wondering how long it takes to build up credit in the game to be able to buy cars and tracks? I ask as my wish list is over $130 and I really want to avoid that if I can.

I'm interested in the Lotus and the 'Vette C6 and tracks like Road America, Mosport, Silverstone. Are they worth getting?

I got 3rd in my first race as clowns took each other out so happy about that but I need to grow a set and go harder :D
Minister for Religious Genocide.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Re: Question about iRacing

Post by ysu »

Well, you can build up some credit by racing now, but it's a lengthy process and brings rather small benefits at low levels IIRC
You can get some credits by referrals too. But again, it's a small benefit.

I don't think there's any real way to pay for that other than - well, pay for it.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

you can get upto $10 credit per 12 (+ 1 fun week) season. so $40 credit a year.

to get them you pretty much have to drive the upper series, 7 dollars for A i think it is. and goes down from there.

to get the credit, you have to participate in a series for the full 8 weeks. so sadly, you have no chance of building credit for this current season
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Dr. Pain wrote:I've only just started to play this a day ago. Being a new member during the holiday season I paid $14 for a month and got 2 months free. I was wondering how long it takes to build up credit in the game to be able to buy cars and tracks? I ask as my wish list is over $130 and I really want to avoid that if I can.

I'm interested in the Lotus and the 'Vette C6 and tracks like Road America, Mosport, Silverstone. Are they worth getting?
This season they have a deal where if you compete in 8 weeks of a class D/C championship you get $4 and 8 weeks in a B/A series gets you $7 for a maximum of $10. It may be a one off thing though. They had one a while back where the top 3 in each division won credits, but that was only done for one season.

For the referral I think you only get the $10 if the person takes up a full year subscription.

So like ysu said, you really just have to pay for it because the occasional bonuses they do don't add up to much. If you pay longer terms the subscription works out less, so you can save a bit that way. A 1 year subscription works out at $8.25/month.

The road tracks are worth getting in my opinion because they are used in most of the series. Just have a look through the schedule post in the announcement forum and you can see which ones get used the most.

For cars you might want to look at this page and see if you'll be able to get race in something before you buy it. Sucks to get into a car and find nobody else is racing it.
http://statmonkey.is-a-geek.net/ilom/whatWhen
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Thanks for the responses. Looks like I may have to buy one or two tracks per month or something then so it's not so much of a big one time hit.
flagger

Post by flagger »

Dr. Pain wrote:Thanks for the responses. Looks like I may have to buy one or two tracks per month or something then so it's not so much of a big one time hit.
If you buy 3-5 items you get a 10% discount, 6 or more items you get 20%. It is better to buy in bulk. The initial layout costs are pretty steep, but a lot of the tracks are used by many different cars/series. The tracks I would be buying initially are (for road racing): VIR, Sebring, Silverstone, Infineon, Watkins Glen. Add some cars in (Skip barbar, star mazda, indy dallara) and save 20%.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

and just think, everyone who started up at the start of this paid alot more than you will ;)

we had to pay $15 US per car and $15 - $25 per track iirc
vipergod
Dumb ARSE

Post by vipergod »

Is it worth the cost ?????????
I have a very limited *demo* (couple of cars and tracks) and well it just doesn't seem that good
I don't care what ya say GPL still rocks
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

vipergod wrote:Is it worth the cost ?????????
I have a very limited *demo* (couple of cars and tracks) and well it just doesn't seem that good
That can only really be answered by yourself mate. I think it is (otherwise I wouldn't be playing), but I do think that it's very expensive for a computer game. Best online racing i've ever had in the best cars and on the best tracks. I've never been good at turning up for league races so even the format works very well for me.

The slower cars will only shine when you've got someone to race against.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
flagger

Post by flagger »

vipergod wrote:Is it worth the cost ?????????
The slowstice sux in my opinion, but all the other road cars are awesome. Even the Daytona Prototype is respectable :)
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

It's funny with the DP. I really liked it when I first started driving it. But I found that whilst it's a great 9/10ths machine, when you're pushing right to the edge it just doesn't feel quite right. Lacks depth and gets frustrating. I'm so glad the Lotus and then the Dallara came along. Fantastic cars.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
vipergod
Dumb ARSE

Post by vipergod »

Thanks for the answers
I think my demo is full game as there is 16 or so tracks and 7 cars but no online
will think about it
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

so by 'Demo" you mean acquired illegaly ;)

hehe

all iracing stuff is online so your not getting any benifits from an offline "demo"
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

And the last "full version" that came out was over a year ago I think - remember, iRacing gets a significant new build every 3 months so it's pretty out of date. Only way to really try it is to get a one month trial and race online.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

There are now 17 cars and 38 tracks.

I think that "demo" had the really bad understeering Radical physics as well. It's probably only good for checking out the Legends, Solstice and Skip Barber, though even they've been affected by tyre model improvements.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I bought all the road racing content a few days after starting :D I like it. Even though I'm not the fastest I like the competition. I think if you can justify the cost then do it. I liked the Tues night GPL runs even though I couldn't do it last year. I did miss it but this fills that void.
vipergod
Dumb ARSE

Post by vipergod »

I miss gpl to doc might go about reviving it soon for myself Rob & Dave still have a go in f2s but are into iracing now aswell

How's Mat (muppet) going?
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Muppet is alive, I think. Haven't seen him for a few weeks. Maybe we can have a Tues. night run in iRacing or something?
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

Dr. Pain wrote:Muppet is alive, I think. Haven't seen him for a few weeks. Maybe we can have a Tues. night run in iRacing or something?
Muppet is alive and well, and looking into getting into iracing soon. A night where we compete together would be a blast too and really encourage me to go and buy it :)